what did you do to your bike(s) today???

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: what did you do to your bike(s) today???

Postby to the beach » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:36 pm

The Schwinn has Shimano SIS, Gripshift, Promax brakes, RST fork, high tensile strength steel frame. I haven't successfully tracked down any info on this one yet, I'm guessing early to mid 00s??

Really looks like a BBB bike, maybe $150 MSRP new??
to the beach

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:30 am

Hmm... The fork alone makes me think lbs schwinn. What's the model name?
Falkon45

Postby to the beach » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:37 am

Fork is RST OMNI 191
to the beach

Postby to the beach » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:26 pm

I just found a tiny sticker on the frame. The sticker says "Pacific Cycle" and there's a date code with 07 for 2 of it's digits though other digits were single letters and more numbers to boot. Wikipedia says Pacific Schwinns started selling at Walmart from 2002 til present.
to the beach

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:41 pm

What's the bike model name. Lol
Falkon45

Postby to the beach » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:56 pm

"Schwinn Sidewinder 2.6 FS"
to the beach

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:17 pm

Oh yeah. That's a big box schwinn. Steel, but that fork is better than I thought. You can make an okay profit from it.
Falkon45

Postby Renaldow » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:27 pm

I installed 2 rear racks on 2 different bikes. More to it than it sounds!

I'd picked up a cheap Schwinn brand rear rack from Target, it was light, well built and one size fits all. I'd bought it for my Trek 820, but today realized I didn't like how it was going to look on it. Also, the mounting screws were really long and would've gone well into my high gear rear cog! Now, my fixie has absolutely no mounts on it for anything, and I'd given up thinking of putting a rack on it. However, I noticed the Schwinn rack had mounting clips you could add to bikes that had no mounts. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I installed it on the fixie and works and looks great. Boo-yeah!

I'd though about going and getting a new rack for the Trek though, because I really wanted a rack on that bike. Got too lazy, got to cheap, and as I was sitting on the couch I remembered I had a cheap rack that I'd bought off of Amazon a couple of years ago that didn't have any mounting hardware with it and turned out to be a nightmare for the bike I was trying to install it on back then. So, for grins I pulled it out and tried it on the Trek. It fit great, and I had everything I needed to mount it properly. Not a fan of the rack, but at this point it would've just been given away anyway, so it falls into the category of use until it's not useful and I'll keep it. Bam!

Sorry for the dark or blurry pics! Not much of a cell phone photographer. :D

I've got an inexpensive bag I bought on Amazon mounted on the Trek, but it can easily go between bikes. It was under $13, but it's great. I'd recommend it if anyone's in the market. This is it: http://amzn.to/1FMtLpt
Renaldow

Postby Dan_J » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:16 am

I just got that same rack for my Network. Much better quality and cleaner installation than the Bell rack it replaced. I like the longer deck on it, better supports my milk crate and allows for more clearance between the seat and crate.

Before:

After:

Dan_J

Postby junkyarddog » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:38 pm

cleaned the schwinn.... this thing was nasty, solidified grease and someone went crazy with lube......some of it I had to scrape off or use a wire brush.... pretty bad when you clean a bike of this vintage(1972) and find shiny paint under dirt and grime..... also threw a new seat on it from one of the flip bikes....turned out pretty good I think
Attachments
bike 091.jpg
bike 091.jpg (138.14 KiB) Viewed 209 times
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions