Publishing Photos on this Forum

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Publishing Photos on this Forum

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:47 pm

The new digital cameras are capable of taking a photograph that is much bigger than the space on the screen of your computer. This is because your computer screen is only so-many pixels wide. The greater your screen resolution the more pixels; but still, a digital camera with 16mp resolution is not going to present well on the forum when embedded with text.

The solution to this is to either limit the size of the photos (most digital cameras have the ability to reduce the size of the photos in pixels or just "large", "medium", and "small") or scale the photo after you've taken it but before you upload it to the forum.

There are several utilities that can scale digital photos but it depends what sort of operating system you use. One completely free photo editor is called GIMP. It is "open source" and is available for a download at no cost. It's not "shareware" or "crippleware". It's a fully functional digital editor on the same level as Photoshop. It is also available for Windows, Macs and even Linux. Go to www.gimp.org and download the version that's appropriate for your computer.

One you are in the utility to scale your photo you need to know what size it should be. I generally scale my photos to be about 8 inches wide. In pixels anything about 600 pixels wide will produce a suitable image that no one will have to scroll from side to side or up and down. So you can scale your photos and then upload them. If you have photos uploaded already you can always delete them in an "edit" and upload new - smaller - versions.

After I have scaled my photos to fit the forum size I save them with a "save as" command and add a number to the name of the photo. Or, if (like so many cameras) the photo has an arcane number identification, I just add a short description.

Plus they take up less space on the server which is always good.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Re: Publishing Photos on this Forum

Postby desertguns » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:22 am

I use FastStone Photo Resizer to do batches. Free, no crapware (watch out for the latest sneaky "installer" programs though, i.e. Downloads.com) & lots of options. It's not an editor per se, just a resizing program.
desertguns

Postby newroam2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:16 am

I just use Paint.NET to reduce canvas size and save as smaller filetypes and do other artsy sh*t to my photos, but it took me awhile before I saw the "Attachments" tab on the Full Editor screen for posting replies back when I was wondering (aloud) how to publish photos on this Forum. I noticed here and there people's photos were clickable and clicking them sent me to various photo repository / social media type websites, some you have to pay for. I thought choosing one of those would be useful in case I wanted to join several forums and manage my photos as one collection for everything I was doing online. Still considering it, but uploading to BBB has it's advantages. The link never gets lost, and it's free. :)

Postby delagem » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:32 pm

I used to host my photos using Facebook. I recently discovered that my photos hosted this way, after about 6 months, go dead. Says something to the effect of "URL Signature Expired". So that's no longer a viable method...

So, I created a Flickr account to host my photos. Open the photo. Click on the Share button, and the BBC code appears, already highlighted. Just right click on it and hit "copy". Gives you the option of the resolution level. I've been using Medium, 800x598. Could probably go a touch larger.

Paste that into the reply you're posting here. No need to put the brackets with "img" and "/img". Already done for you. Super easy.
delagem

Return to General Discussions