Why Do New Riders Focus on Full Suspension Bikes?

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Why Do New Riders Focus on Full Suspension Bikes?

Postby Houndog » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Guy at work got an XR75 ...Told me when I bought my Deception that I shoulda got one like his he thought it was better because full suspension....That's just how most sheeple think...
Houndog

Postby tigris99 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 am

Love the post spot on!!!

Seeing ppl riding cheap FS bikes around town, fine whatever you need a bike. Seeing ppl buy XR Pro or a Saber/v2100 just to ride it into the ground do to no maint and just around town is sad, the good FS Bikes need more love than that. See it all the time. And I got asked more than once why my saber never made noise, told them specifically "Cause I take care of it, would you drive a car without changing the oil or putting water in it???" Usually just got a stupid look or a "whatever" response. So gave up. Surprisingly riding my Trek 29er HT around gets LESS attention than when I rode my saber around (which I did cause had 1 bike for everything, as i do atm till spring when Im getting a Genesis GS for a commuting/road bike as new baby has my money strapped)

The knowledge is good for those that care, rest are going to do the "that guy is full of crap" thing and do it anyway. Being a cyclist/mtber/commuter and just using a bike to get around cause you cant get a license (kids exempt) are 2 different things.

"Its not the ride, its the rider"
tigris99

Postby junkyarddog » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:46 pm

I bought my V2100 because it was the best bike I saw at walmart for the $170 I had at the time...I also had a rigid beater for awhile.... some health issues have kept me off my bike alot during the last year or so....I sold my beater cause it wasnt getting ridden and needed some cash......I saw a schwinn hardtail after I got the v2100... if they would have had it in stock I might have went for the hardtail instead of the V2100....all my old bikes were rigid or hardtails.... this is the first FS bike I have ever owned
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:50 pm

But, JYD, you're not a new rider. I'm just surprised that so many parents get their kids a FS bike with no thought to the extra maintenance and care they need. For someone who has been on an MTB a FS bike is not a bad choice. But for a person who hasn't ridden a bike since they were 13 it's probably going to be a bad decision. Not always, but I think it's one reason for the bad rep a WM FS bike gets.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby steady eddie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:32 pm

I believe in the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid), especially when it comes down to BBBs. Any one here remember the "Poor Guy on a Bike" thread?? He bought a new WM Schwinn Sidewinder (for $88), aired up the tires and set out across country. Zero bike problems, except for flat tires, in over 1300 miles.

What a great story..here is such a bike:

Sidewinder.jpg
Sidewinder.jpg (288.35 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby ChiliPepper » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:36 am

I will always state to all, a HT is the best bike to learn on, and once you are skilled enough, then and only then you should move to a FS. Now, there are the ones whom need some suspension for their aging or injured bodies (somewhat like me...lol) which a FS would be a major plus for them, especially off-road. Me personally, I shred a Rigid, HT, and two all out FS rigs for my gravity fed shredding. I would have never became a good shredder/rider without learning on a HT first. :mrgreen: On top of that, the maintenance is much less and more cost effective to maintain and repair a HT, especially a SS and SS rigid.

Of course, in my time I grew up with no FS's or HT's, as they were all rigid. Don't get me wrong, they did have suspension, but were only on the flatland cruisers and in experiment on others. The rear shocks and fork shocks of the BBB's these days are just the ones from yesterdays technology, and were once high end components at one point in time per say. BBB's are definitely one size fits all per say and the shocks are set-up with a springy feel giving that "Pedal Bob". One of the good things though is that most of the newer BBB frames can except either better rear coil over and air shocks on top of better forks as well. The older BBB's always had the issue with finding the correct rear shock to fit the frame (eyelet to eyelet and stroke length). Anyways, it is great to see improvements to the BBB's, so hopefully Dorel Industries (Pacific Cycles) is listening to us and soaking in our ideals and concerns with BBB's.

I look at it this way... "Its all about fun and nothing but fun!"

In the long run...."Its the rider that makes the bike, not the bike that makes the rider!" :mrgreen:

Cheers!! :mrgreen:
ChiliPepper

Postby Ridin_Dirty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:57 pm

I have a newbie question. I've been reading the forum as I'm planning to get into mountain biking and came across this thread. I kind of fall into the boat of wanting a full-suspension because I 'WANT' a full-suspension because I want to experiment with different types of trails, and also I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy and look forward to certain upgrades like replacing the rear shock, regular maintenance, etc. After reading some of the threads, I wanted to take a step back to make sure I 'NEED' a full-suspension and make sure I'm making the right decision. This is a video of one of the trails in my area that I will be riding. Some of the really bumpy areas begin around 2:20. To some of you experienced riders, what kind of bike would you recommend for this type of trail? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback/info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_8f1eEDFc
Ridin_Dirty

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Ridin_Dirty wrote:I have a newbie question. I've been reading the forum as I'm planning to get into mountain biking and came across this thread. I kind of fall into the boat of wanting a full-suspension because I 'WANT' a full-suspension because I want to experiment with different types of trails, and also I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy and look forward to certain upgrades like replacing the rear shock, regular maintenance, etc. After reading some of the threads, I wanted to take a step back to make sure I 'NEED' a full-suspension and make sure I'm making the right decision. This is a video of one of the trails in my area that I will be riding. Some of the really bumpy areas begin around 2:20. To some of you experienced riders, what kind of bike would you recommend for this type of trail? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback/info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_8f1eEDFc

Nice video. Great music. And that guy is a really good rider.

But I don't think you need to have a FS bike to ride that trail. That doesn't mean you can't get one, of course. But if that is the trail you think you want to ride then the expense, complexity and maintenance of a FS bike is overkill.

However, the good side is that a big box bike FS bike would probably handle it without any real issues. Unless they edited out a few 10' drops. :P

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby ChiliPepper » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:53 pm

This all falls down to a riders personal preference here by far. However, I have to concur with 'wa_desert_rat" (Craig) here. That trail definitely does not demand a FS, as a HT would be the best disciplined bike for that type terrain. Though, not saying to not fly with a FS, as this is a personal preference scenario all hands down.

Personally, I like a FS, but I also like a HT and rigid as well. I ride a FS when I am shredding gravity fed runs, gnarly terrain, FR, slopestyle, AM or other bigger hit features, and a HT or rigid for XC, AM, Trail, slopestyle, slalom runs, flow tracks, flatland or DJ's. With a FS, I can load and unload my suspension through various terrains where I cannot with a HT. With a FS, I can bomb any line, no matter how gnarly it may be, however, with a HT or rigid, I have to choose my line most of the times. (sometimes I get a bit crazy...lol). As per DJ's, flow tracks/pump tracks, flatland, and slalom runs the HT rules by far and you have so much more control with no suspension sucking everything up.

A HT is generally faster than a FS rig, lighter, and the cost to maintain the HT is far less than a FS rig. So as mentioned above, it is all a rider personal preference my friend. Choose what you want brother, not the fad... ;) :lol:
ChiliPepper

Postby Ridin_Dirty » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Thank you both for your response. If I did go FS, I'm leaning toward the XR-Pro. Do you think this would be a good choice? Also, there are quite a few bike trails at this state park, so I'm pretty sure there may be more complex trails. If I did happen to find a 10' drop, can I go for it (if I upgrade suspension, etc.)?! :mrgreen: Or should I stay clear and save up for a LBS bike before graduating to those trails?

If I go hardtail, I may consider putting a little more money into it (since I'll save on not having to upgrade a rear shock) and purchase an Airborne Guardian. I saw it mentioned in another thread by Irishmongooserider.
Ridin_Dirty

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions