Why Do New Riders Focus on Full Suspension Bikes?

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Why Do New Riders Focus on Full Suspension Bikes?

Postby Tomcat65 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Not arguing that at all lol.. I'm just saying that guy doesn't have the $$ for the XR-Pro, doesn't really need it. He's not going to leave his kids sitting in the dust while he XR-Pro's his way across tiny Providence Ky in a flash of brilliance :P Some people don't know the difference and do not care. I'm not going to snob the guy and put him down for buying something within his budget. But you have to admit, for that extra $25.00 or so over the Roadmaster Granite Peak hardtail, the Next Powerclimber is going to grab that guy's attention. Sure the XR-Pro is in a whole other class. I kind of wanted one myself, but I like the hardtails. My son got his Deception Friday night, and he does not care at all about his Next Powerclimber anymore. We all fit somewhere, and these bikes all fit someone
Tomcat65

Postby mirroredtoolbag » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:33 am

Most people on this forum would not snob a guy and put him down, thats for other forums. The power climber is a good value for sure. Most BBB are good values that have limitations. There are some exceptional valued bikes at BBB stores that fit the bill for 90% of the bike buying public. There are always going to be the guys that build the monster off road trucks that never leave the city or suburbs, these are the same typical guys that point out the limitations of your jeep. Same with bikes, skis, tournament fishing boats etc. I saw a guy yesterday tearing up the trails on a huffy, he was riding with a guy on a $3,500 trek and the trail was tough!!! Ride what you got or can afford. Since I have been on this forum I have not seen any bashing or snobbery whatsoever, just plain good advice from folks that have experience with these BBBs. Some look to upgrade their BBB, this is when advice, research and critique helps as some BBB are more upgradeable than others.
mirroredtoolbag

Postby junkyarddog » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:54 am

mirroredtoolbag wrote: Ride what you got or can afford.

X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats my thoughts on that as well.... not about the bike, its the rider
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby scaldwellk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:52 am

I got a ledge for a great price used and in almost new shape.I do a lot of riding on and around the abandoned PA Turnpike tunnels. It's a great ride with the kids. I was using my 1994 GT Talera 26" for the ride and it was rough. This new to me Mongoose Ledge 3.1 felt so much better and kept up with a guy on a high dollar trek. The kids love the tunnels. Image
scaldwellk

Postby CatDaddy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Mine came from a Super Center, most all of the bikes were full suspension, i intend to ride it off road exclusively and frankly i hope full suspension will be easier on my over-50 butt. :lol:
CatDaddy

Postby Purple Haze » Wed May 06, 2015 12:34 am

The later model Schwinn trail and urban bikes were some of the best bicycles that Walmart ever sold and if you ever picked them up they were light too.I wish I had got one because it would have been perfect for gravel roads and urban riding.
Purple Haze

Postby CatDaddy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:11 pm

I've got some banged up ribs as of 10 days ago and i am dang sure glad my back up bike is a FS 'cuz right now my new HT is somewhat painful to ride :lol:
CatDaddy

Postby wantcheapbutgood » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Very good thread!
I think it's getting harder and harder to find a non-FS bike at the BB stores anymore. I think they focus on the wow factor and the cool factor, and cater to many impulse buyers. I bet a lot of the bikes get bought and then collect dust in someone's garage. Most of their customers want to buy the cool bike, and that's the one with suspension, not realizing the cost of the suspension frame may drive cost cutting on other components and mean cheaper (and inferior) parts. In many ways, I'd prefer the option of a hard tail, as they are simpler, lighter by default, and have less to to wrong, but if you can't find them, you can't buy them.
Anyway, again, very good thread!
wantcheapbutgood

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:55 pm

wantcheapbutgood wrote:In many ways, I'd prefer the option of a hard tail, as they are simpler, lighter by default, and have less to to wrong, but if you can't find them, you can't buy them.
Anyway, again, very good thread!

You can always order them off the website and then have them delivered free to the nearest store. That way you get to make sure it's assembled right (or just take it to the LBS).

FYI... I, personally, recommend that you at least lubricate everything. Since most of the bearings in a BBB are "open" you are better off replacing the bottom bracket at the very minimum. This usually costs about $50 at the LBS nearest you. I also replace the pedals (if they are the cheap plastic kind) unless the bike is for a kid. And setting the derailleurs correctly is also a good idea.

Of course, all of this can be done at home. If you don't know the size of the bottom bracket for you bike just ask here and someone will probably answer. :)

And glad you enjoyed the post. :)
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:38 am

Let me correct that last post to read "replace the open bottom bracket with a SEALED bottom bracket".

It's ridiculously cheap and probably the best upgrade to a new big box bike that you can make.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions