Why your LBS Should Love Big Box Bikes

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Why your LBS Should Love Big Box Bikes

Postby 6sharky9 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:28 pm

I think it would be nice to see a few BBB models found in a LBS...You know they would be put together with more care and safety in mind..However would you pay $300 dollars for a genesis v2100 from a LBS when you can get one for 160 plus tax at walmart??..They will charge a premium for assembly then mark up for even more profits...I think this is somewhat a reason why they don't try to sell them as people will go get one from walmart or target..Even paying a LBS to tune it and go over it having bought one from BBB would still be less money I think than if they sold it on the floor...Mark up is ridiculous in most Shops...To get what I got for less than $350 I would have to spend $200-$300 or more to get from an LBS.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Hong Kong Phooey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:48 am

Renaldow wrote: Don't wear a helmet, but if you have an accident at least do the decent thing and make sure it takes you out.

I sure will Sparky, thanks.

HKP
Hong Kong Phooey

Postby mirroredtoolbag » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:40 am

For those who are against helmets, what are your reasons? just curious. As WWDR said, helmets are actually cooler and more comfortable than riding w/o one so what are the drawbacks, maybe I am missing something. I used to jump ramps as a kid pretending to be Evil Kinevil too, we didn't wear helmets, they didn't exist. Hockey players resisted helmets for a long time, people refused to wear seat belts too. Helmets do not make noise, they do not obstruct peripheral vision, they do not create drag, they are light enough to be undetectable, they keep you cooler, and best of all, they protect your head if you hit a tree, rock, log, car or whatever. Why dont you want to wear one?
mirroredtoolbag

Postby junkyarddog » Tue May 06, 2014 11:02 pm

I used to ride without a helmet.... till I hit a curb in the dark at speed and roadrashed my ear, the side of my face and my shoulder...I got back up and finished my ride to work....when I got there they called 911 as I had blood all over the side of my face, my clothes and my cannondale M400... ever since then I have worn a helmet
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed May 07, 2014 9:10 am

junkyarddog wrote:I used to ride without a helmet.... till I hit a curb in the dark at speed and roadrashed my ear, the side of my face and my shoulder...I got back up and finished my ride to work....when I got there they called 911 as I had blood all over the side of my face, my clothes and my cannondale M400... ever since then I have worn a helmet

Ya... that's a shock isn't it? You think you came out of that pretty well, considering... and when you get to where people are around they start looking at you like you're a zombie or something. Complete strangers ask you if you're ok. Others pick up their cell phones and call 911. You think to yourself, "What in the world is the problem here? I don't feel that bad." It's not 'til you take a look in a mirror that you realize what it is they're talking about.

At some point you hear a doctor's voice saying, "Aren't you a little old to be doing that sort of thing?"

Well, duh... but I'm not gonna stop now. :D

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby junkyarddog » Wed May 07, 2014 10:27 am

yes it was......it was about 20 years ago, so I was young then
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby ChiliPepper » Wed May 07, 2014 11:27 am

6sharky9 wrote:I think it would be nice to see a few BBB models found in a LBS...You know they would be put together with more care and safety in mind..However would you pay $300 dollars for a genesis v2100 from a LBS when you can get one for 160 plus tax at walmart??..They will charge a premium for assembly then mark up for even more profits...I think this is somewhat a reason why they don't try to sell them as people will go get one from walmart or target..Even paying a LBS to tune it and go over it having bought one from BBB would still be less money I think than if they sold it on the floor...Mark up is ridiculous in most Shops...To get what I got for less than $350 I would have to spend $200-$300 or more to get from an LBS.

Very true my friend and spot on to the point. ;)

This is the reasoning why LBS's will NOT deal in Big Box Bikes, as there is absolutely no profit range for them to be made.
ChiliPepper

Postby ChiliPepper » Wed May 07, 2014 11:37 am

wa_desert_rat wrote:With all the drivel on so many bike forums about only buying bikes from your Local Bike Shop (LBS) I started wondering whether I would like big box bikes or not if I owned an LBS. And I decided that, yes, I would.

1. Selling bicycles depends upon having a local market full of people who can ride bicycles, like riding bicycles and, inevitably, want better bicycles.

2. More people will try bicycling on a $200 bicycle than on a $1,000 bicycle.

3. $200 bicycles are bought by three sorts of people:

A) People who know next to nothing about bikes; in which case they'll come to the LBS for all their repairs and upgrades, anyway. (Unless they read this forum.)
B) People who know bikes but want to try a new style (beach cruiser, single speed, fat bike, dirt jumper, etc.) but don't want to spend a ton of money doing it. These are people who will come to the LBS when they discover they like it and want a better one.
C) Parents of young children who will beat the crap out any bike they get anyway; it's better for your business that people see a junked out big box bike than one of your pricey models. And if the kid gets good at riding, there's a new customer..

Any LBS owner who turns away potential customers just because they arrive with a big box bike is stupid; period! For one thing, that customer will find a competitor who is willing to work with him (or her) and will stay with that competitor. For another thing, word gets around... and that kind of word is not what a small business needs.

When I spoke to a local Walmart manager about why he didn't put Mongoose Pro 29 FS bikes on her shelves she told me that she didn't have customers who would spend that much money on a bicycle. If she's right... then an LBS has no worries.

So if you own an LBS be kind to your big box bike customers. Take them out, show them some trails. Make them into customers. It can't hurt.

Much truth here I must say and a pretty good read. Thanks WDR!

For basic riding, being trail or just XC, I'll ride a BBB any day and anytime. Nothing wrong with them at all. They are just what was the new technology from back in the day, and pretty much old school and outdated in these days. Now, as per for my DH and Big Hit FR, I will only roll on more modern day bikes built and designed to take such a beating and last. However, in the long run, it is all about having fun and nothing but fun, and it is the rider whom makes the bike, not the bike that makes the rider.

Peace Out brothers and sisters! :mrgreen:
ChiliPepper

Postby remle » Fri May 09, 2014 11:04 pm

To me it's all a matter of calculated risk. If I'm out cruising around on my road bike at 20+ mph then absolutely I'll wear a helmet. If I'm on a beach cruiser going 6 mph, then no, I don't bother with it. We actually do all kinds of things each day which would be safer if we wore helmets. Showering, running or driving would all be good examples.
remle

Postby mirroredtoolbag » Sat May 10, 2014 11:47 am

You dont wear a helmet in the shower? Falling and banging you head in the shower( actually bath tub) is very common. Showerhelmets.com has a complete line of comfortable, self shampooing shower helmets to choose from, most now have cream rinse despensers
http://cyclingabout.com/wp-content/uplo ... 552-pm.jpg
mirroredtoolbag

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions