Why your LBS Should Love Big Box Bikes

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Why your LBS Should Love Big Box Bikes

Postby Peatbog » Sun May 11, 2014 3:09 pm

I suppose if one wishes to really lessen the possibility of head injuries when riding a bike, then don't ride a bike. That should take care of it. And many people who don't ride bikes would have no problem regulating them off the road, the same way some people think helmets should be required for everyone. All in the name of safety.

Everything is a risk. I don't tell other people what personal risks to take. I don't like them thinking they should determine what risks I should take.
Peatbog

Postby junkyarddog » Sat May 17, 2014 11:53 am

some 20 odd years ago I was the maintenence guy at a mcdonalds..... they had some promotion where they gave away 2 bikes.....when they came in I about laughed my ass off....... the bikes were made in india!!!! I guess the mcdonalds corp must have got a deal on these bikes.... I offered to put them together, but they took them to the LBS.....they had a good laugh about the bikes... they were a road bike and a bmx bike.... the mechanic at the LBS said he had never seen such poor quality bikes in his life... and they worked on BBB's too
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby Bikesaresweet » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:38 pm

I don't wear helmets now, but I wish I had when younger. I was in a bad bike accident when I was about 16. I cracked my head and had a seizure. I didn't have any short term consequences but I believe I suffer some mild neurological issues today because of it. I'm now 31. I only ride for recreation now but If I decided to take my bike off road I would def get a helmet.
Bikesaresweet

Postby to the beach » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:40 am

I wear a WalMart vented Schwinn Thrasher helmet in the summer and it keeps me cooler than not wearing. In the winter I wear a LuckyBums sno helmet with ear flaps and it is warmer than any hat. Both helmets have a 3rd eye mirror attached for rear vision. Just a matter of comfort for me. :D
to the beach

Postby BikeWise1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:54 pm

ChiliPepper wrote:This is the reasoning why LBS's will NOT deal in Big Box Bikes, as there is absolutely no profit range for them to be made.

First of all, Walmart clears more from the sale of their bikes than we bike shops do. How? ZERO service! The build is rushed through and they won't even test ride the bike or even air up the tires. I could sell my bikes for less if I barely built them, and wasn't expected to service what I sold!

Secondly, there's little money in servicing them, because they always take longer to fix, and many of the people who ride them seem to think the repair costs should mirror the cost of acquisition. So, I can't charge a premium to service these types of bikes.

You'll notice, we LBS owners generally don't live in big houses nor drive fancy cars. Most shops get to keep about four to seven cents of each dollar spent in our shops. The tagline of this site claims one doesn't have to spend $1000 to enjoy cycling. And that's true. At my shop, you can spend under $400 get a bike that fits, is durable, comes properly assembled and offers lifetime free minor adjustments. What other purchase would you buy brand new in a state immediately requiring service? Nothing. But somehow people are willing to buy bikes that way....
BikeWise1

Postby 6sharky9 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:16 pm

BikeWise1 wrote:
ChiliPepper wrote:This is the reasoning why LBS's will NOT deal in Big Box Bikes, as there is absolutely no profit range for them to be made.

First of all, Walmart clears more from the sale of their bikes than we bike shops do. How? ZERO service! The build is rushed through and they won't even test ride the bike or even air up the tires. I could sell my bikes for less if I barely built them, and wasn't expected to service what I sold!

Secondly, there's little money in servicing them, because they always take longer to fix, and many of the people who ride them seem to think the repair costs should mirror the cost of acquisition. So, I can't charge a premium to service these types of bikes.

You'll notice, we LBS owners generally don't live in big houses nor drive fancy cars. Most shops get to keep about four to seven cents of each dollar spent in our shops. The tagline of this site claims one doesn't have to spend $1000 to enjoy cycling. And that's true. At my shop, you can spend under $400 get a bike that fits, is durable, comes properly assembled and offers lifetime free minor adjustments. What other purchase would you buy brand new in a state immediately requiring service? Nothing. But somehow people are willing to buy bikes that way....

If you're only making 4 to 7 cents on the dollar you should find a new source of income unless you do it for the love only or a hobby...Even then I would question the tiny profit you claim....I don't believe that for one second.

Unfortunately not all know how to work on or repair a bike and they need to rely on a bike shop and that's fine...Not everyone knows how to repair a vehicle and that's what I got paid to do for people...Just don't tell us you only make 4 to 7 cents on the dollar that goes through your shop or any one elses shop..Its BS.

You can buy a bike for less than 400 maybe with front and rear v brakes with the same bottom of the line "series" components you can get on a BBB bike as well but has at least front disc brakes.

I agree, and not many would disagree the department stores have crappy assembly..Not todays front page news here...Fortunately a lot of us who can work on a bike knows this and take care of those issues to end up with a great riding reliable bike..Some models need more work than others and need some upgrades but we know this already as well..I don't have an issue with someone going to a LBS if they cant work on a bike or simply don't want to learn how

Prove you only make what you said earlier with an actual invoice on a bike you purchased from the factory ; assembled, then only made 4 to 7 cents on the dollar it sold for..that I would love to see.

If you are buying wholesale you are selling at list or slightly under...profits.....If you assemble the bike you are making profits minus paying an assembler for an hour to assemble it..whats that, 8 to 10 dollars?..I know not all bike shops get the same deals as some sell in alot more volume getting better deals from manufacturers...so maybe youre paying more than what a big shop would pay...I take this into consideration.

Add up the difference from wholesale to list then your assembly and youre at least $150 or more in profits on a bike..Profits get larger the higher up the scale of bike you sell.

My wife has a specialized expedition she paid almost 600 dollars for with v brakes and bottom line suntour nexx crank and fork with shimano acera/tourney shifting componants (cheesy twist shifters).(Same stuff you can find on a 150 dollar walmart bike)..I know this because I own 2 of them...You tell me where the 600 dollars came from???...was it the name brand sticker????..I paid $350 for a bike with front and read hydraulic disc brakes and sram X4 componants with suntour XCT crank and fork..Maybe I was screwed or maybe it was her that was...you do get bikes partially assembled from the factory like you can from walmart right?..you have to install the wheels and seat post and handles bars and pedals then adjust everything??..maybe you go the extra mile and take apart the crank and fork and make sure its all greased and tightened properly????..I know you don't do it for free.

Don't mean to sound harsh and I welcome you here to the forums as all is welcome but, a LBS isnt the only place you can get a quality bike from if assembled properly...youre the same as many here who know how to fix and repair and even modify a bike..The only difference is we do it for ourselves and you want someone to pay you to do it for them which is perfectly acceptable, we all have to make a living or a supplement income...A lot of us here do use and support a LBS..so don't get it twisted that its all about a walmart bike and we don't support other venues... Alot here just know how and choose to do the work ourselves to save our hard earned coin...Would you buy a bike and then pay a shop to repair it, being you already know how to do it yourself?...I highly doubt it.

Support anyone who comes into your store and don't be prejudice as to what brand bike it is...a shimano tourney derailleur is a shimano tourney derailleur no matter what the plastic sticker says on the side of the frame...They are all easily repairable/replaceable...and for god sakes don't charge 40 dollars for a 15 dollar derailleur and let them find out they just got screwed and never come back to your shop again...Not saying you personally ..just saying in general.

Labor charges are labor charges...If someone don't want to pay it then they need to learn how to fix a bike themselves...But no profit is lost because the sticker said TREK or specialized on it as opposed to Mongoose or Genesis....If labor is more to adjust the mechanical v brakes on a Trek than a mongoose to turn a few screws then I see someone being shafted in the bum with no lube.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Destr0 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:58 am

I too question the .04 to .07 a dollar - if so you should probably close up shop and look elsewhere. On a $400 bike you are only clearing $28??? Really? I know first hand a bike shop isn't going to make you rich but you should be in the 15-20% range. I helped managed a bike shop 10+ years ago and we were closer to 30%..
Destr0

Postby juniorswv » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:25 pm

I buy big box bikes..do not have the bucks to spend at lbs..I do support them when I can...But to make a few cents on the dollar...might as well recycle cans and bottles!!!!
juniorswv

Postby mirroredtoolbag » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:21 am

LBS cannot carry the same models as in BBS, they could not compete. WM, Target,SA etc. buy in large volume so they enjoy a proportionately large discount, something the LBS would never be able to do. As far as parts being expensive, here again the same dynamic applies plus when you see a part online, it is substantially cheaper than the LBS because the overhead / part ratio is smaller. LBS should sell higher end products and provide upscale service, this is where they can make a little money and the BBS cannot fill the service need. I see a place for LBS and BBS, what I don't see a place for is the arrogance, snobbery and dishonesty that comes standard with some LBS. I buy from LBS for convenience, if I sense attitude, I walk. The things I buy at LBS are things that they have a larger margin on anyway, clothes, helmets etc. these items are non upgradable and require proper fitment. BTW the bike that fits me the poorest is my custom fit Trek, thats why I never ride it. I prefer my fit judgement over a experts. I am not a expert rider so I prefer a bike that feels like it fits me, not one that I'm supposed to like cause some guy who wears his bike shorts too tight says thats how it should feel and I'll get used to it.
mirroredtoolbag

Postby RickM » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:39 am

And, I mainly drive my bike 4 miles every day for a commute. So as long as it fits and has decent components, it can be the cheapest bike out there. Well, one for less money than $500 or more.

My LBS makes money by maintaining my bicycle at least once a year. My LBS makes money by selling parts to me and replacing them. My LBS makes money by selling accessories I see when I am in there. (My LBS has chains in virtual every color, CRAZY!)

And think about this: If you are a LBS store and you want to offer lower priced bicycles, buy some from the big mass retailers and sell them for $50 more (to cover basic assembly)! Get a few different ones, or even offer a customer that you will 'handle the transaction' meaning getting the bike and assembling it.

Guess what, I would have done that and paid $50 more. Because A) I could have touched/tested the bike, B) I could have immediately taken the bike with me and C) the bike would have been assembled, saving me either the work or the drive to/from the bike store.

Not to mention the personal touch.
RickM

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions