anyone know the size of bottom bracket in schwinn sidewinder

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

anyone know the size of bottom bracket in schwinn sidewinder

Postby skliros » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:20 pm

i have a couple year old schwinn sidewinder from walmart, and the crank has some play. i tried taking the nut off to get the bottom bracket out, but i dont have to star patterend tool. i'm going to order one, but was wanting to order the bottom bracket at the same time.
thanks
skliros

Re: anyone know the size of bottom bracket in schwinn sidewi

Postby Falkon45 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:58 pm

Probably a 68x118. You have a sealed BB in it, already?
Falkon45

Postby skliros » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:46 am

Falkon45 wrote:Probably a 68x118. You have a sealed BB in it, already?

well i did mesure the shell it and its definetly a 68 long. i need to get cranks off to measure the spindle. it has the square ends. are the square ends usually all the same?

i dont think mine is a sealed bearing setup, since the bottom bracket has a lock ring on the one side. i'd like to go with a sealed bearing setup. i only rode my bike maybe 200 miles and noticed a little play in the crank already.
skliros

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:27 am

I was going to start my own thread, but maybe I can piggy back on yours.

My BB clicks under hard pedaling. I can only hear the click when I push the right crank to 4:00, but I can feel some play when I grab both cranks with my hands. It's not side-to-side play; it's more like a horizontal pivot. I have a Mongoose Seek'r.

I measured my shell. It's 2 5/8", which I believe corresponds to a 68mm width. So, I'm guessing this BB won't fit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/140769035002?lpid=82

Could it be that I just need to tighten the BB rather than replace? If so, what tool do I need?

Also, let's help OP so that I don't completely hijack his thread.
2014 Mongoose Seek'r 27.5
JazzOne

Postby skliros » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:34 am

JazzOne wrote:I was going to start my own thread, but maybe I can piggy back on yours.

My BB clicks under hard pedaling. I can only hear the click when I push the right crank to 4:00, but I can feel some play when I grab both cranks with my hands. It's not side-to-side play; it's more like a horizontal pivot. I have a Mongoose Seek'r.

I measured my shell. It's 2 5/8", which I believe corresponds to a 68mm width. So, I'm guessing this BB won't fit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/140769035002?lpid=82

Could it be that I just need to tighten the BB rather than replace? If so, what tool do I need?

Also, let's help OP so that I don't completely hijack his thread.

after doing some searching, i dont think that is the style of bracket your bike has. i'm guessing it should look like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-UN55-Square-Taper-Bottom-Bracket-Pick-Your-Spindle-Width-/131013266699

there are two measurements needed. the length of the tube on the frame where the BB goes in(68mm or 73mm), and the overall length of the spindle, which is around 107mm to 127mm.
and this is a tool you need to remove it. you can buy for a few dollars on ebay.

skliros

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Does the BB tighten as you pedal like the freewheel does? Or do you need the BB tool to tighten it too? I'm wondering if I can just tighten my BB to eliminate the clicking or if I need to replace it.

Also, do I need a tool to remove the crank arms from the BB?
JazzOne

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:05 pm

You may want a crank arm removal tool. I don't remember the codes for the two I have, but they will work for your cranks. The original BB will be about 5 or 6 pieces. You more than likely have caged bearings. Those go badd quickly, if they aren't pulled apart and greased regularly. You can buy new bearings, and keep it moving, or replace with a sealed unit (best option). The BB removal tooll will not work with the original BB, just so you know.

A set of pliers or a large cresscent wrench will do the job.
Falkon45

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:48 pm

Falkon45 wrote:You may want a crank arm removal tool. I don't remember the codes for the two I have, but they will work for your cranks. The original BB will be about 5 or 6 pieces. You more than likely have caged bearings. Those go badd quickly, if they aren't pulled apart and greased regularly. You can buy new bearings, and keep it moving, or replace with a sealed unit (best option). The BB removal tooll will not work with the original BB, just so you know.

Damn, I bought a BB tool today. Pliers and a crescent wrench? What exactly am I supposed to attach them to?

I also bought a crank arm puller. The guy at the shop told me it was the right one for square tapered BBs. I spend more time on maintenance than actually riding.
JazzOne

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:04 pm

It you have some large pliers or channel locks (the multi position pliers), you can pretty much use them to grip the bb cups, and spin them out. The left side is cclockwise, and the right side is counter clockwise (or vice versa. I forget). The cressent wrench will be able to spin the left side cup.
Falkon45

Postby skliros » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:23 pm

Well, i went to go for a bike ride today, and right away my chain started skipping. :evil:
so i found out my rear gears are way loose. i'm not sure how it happened or how to even tighten it up. it looks like i need a special tool.

so anyways, i wanted to ride still so i went to walmart to buy another bike. i was not impressed with most of the bikes there, even the mongoose. i couldnt believe how loose ans soft the front forks were on many of them. i asked if they had any schwinn sidewinders like the one that broke. lol. guy went in back to look and brought a box out covered in dust. it was a schwinn link. and the box had a date tag from 2010. :lol: the link is very similar to the sidewinder, but it has less agressive tires, adjustable handlebars, and a wide comfortable seat. guy knocked the price down to 120. 8-) its a pretty nice bike.

Falkon45 wrote:You may want a crank arm removal tool. I don't remember the codes for the two I have, but they will work for your cranks. The original BB will be about 5 or 6 pieces. You more than likely have caged bearings. Those go badd quickly, if they aren't pulled apart and greased regularly. You can buy new bearings, and keep it moving, or replace with a sealed unit (best option). The BB removal tooll will not work with the original BB, just so you know.

well here is a pic of the BB from my few year old schwinn sidewinder. i think it needs that tool.
dont pay attention to the grease zerk i added in an attempt to grease the bearings since i couldnt take the BB apart. :oops:

however, looking at most bikes today at walmart, and including the link that i bought, it appears the BB is different.

so i guess the bike company went with a more basic setup, that looks like you can take apart with a wrench??
skliros

Next

Return to General Discussions