anyone know the size of bottom bracket in schwinn sidewinder

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: anyone know the size of bottom bracket in schwinn sidewi

Postby skliros » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:50 pm

skliros wrote:Well, i went to go for a bike ride today, and right away my chain started skipping. :evil:
so i found out my rear gears are way loose. i'm not sure how it happened or how to even tighten it up. it looks like i need a special tool.

so i just figured out that the small 13 tooth gear broke off and is missing. :o you see 6 gears in the pic, but i should have 7! i'm just glad it didnt happen while under heavy pedaling.
skliros

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:08 pm

Oh wow! Your sidewinder may actually have a sealed BB. Cool. Most of the big box bikes normally have BBs like in the second pic.
Falkon45

Postby Sixgun » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:50 am

Hello all. I've been lurking on this site for a while, but never posted before. Thanks to everyone who makes this such a great resource for box store bikes!

Anyway, judging from the pictures, I have the same model of Sidewinder. I'm slowly converting it to more of a hybrid bike and replacing the crankset and bottom bracket are on my list of things to eventually do. I know little about bike mechanics, but have been learning as I go. If someone could explain how to remove the pictured bottom bracket I'd greatly appreciate it!

One other question - from what I've read, when replacing the crankset and BB, you need to match the spindle length of the BB to the crankset, not to what's currently on the bike. Is that correct?
Sixgun

Postby skliros » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:40 am

Sixgun wrote: If someone could explain how to remove the pictured bottom bracket I'd greatly appreciate it!

well i posted a picture of two different bottom brackets. the one you need a special tool, which you can buy on ebay cheap, and the other style you just need a wrench or pliers.

One other question - from what I've read, when replacing the crankset and BB, you need to match the spindle length of the BB to the crankset, not to what's currently on the bike. Is that correct?

well, the main thing is you want the front gears to be in the same spot as before. i'd recommend placing your new crank on old bottom bracket to see if things line up right, then order the same size BB, or adjust as needed.

i found ebay is a great place to buy tools and bottom brackets and such for good prices.
skliros

Postby Sixgun » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:50 am

skliros wrote:
Sixgun wrote: If someone could explain how to remove the pictured bottom bracket I'd greatly appreciate it!

well i posted a picture of two different bottom brackets. the one you need a special tool, which you can buy on ebay cheap, and the other style you just need a wrench or pliers.

well, the main thing is you want the front gears to be in the same spot as before. i'd recommend placing your new crank on old bottom bracket to see if things line up right, then order the same size BB, or adjust as needed.

i found ebay is a great place to buy tools and bottom brackets and such for good prices.

Thanks for the help. I was referring to the one pictured that's on the bike, not the UN55. This is all new to me, so I couldn't tell if the one on the bike needed the BB removal tool or just the wrench or pliers.

It'll probably be a while before I replace the crankset, but since this thread popped up I thought it would be a good time to ask about it.
Sixgun

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:01 pm

Sixgun wrote:
skliros wrote:

Thanks for the help. I was referring to the one pictured that's on the bike, not the UN55. This is all new to me, so I couldn't tell if the one on the bike needed the BB removal tool or just the wrench or pliers.

It'll probably be a while before I replace the crankset, but since this thread popped up I thought it would be a good time to ask about it.

It's kind of confusing, but the last post on the first page shows two pictures of two different blue bikes with two different bottom brackets. The blue bike on top is the Schwinn, and that one needs the FR1 tool to remove. The blue bike on the bottom has the type of bottom bracket that I have, which is apparently removable with pliers and a wrench, though I haven't gotten around to taking it off yet.
Last edited by JazzOne on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Mongoose Seek'r 27.5
JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:09 pm

I am also confused about BB and crank compatibility. I believe that I have a square tapered BB. I want to replace it, but I'm not ready to upgrade the cranks yet. So, I'm going to purchase the Shimano UN55, which comes in a variety of sizes:

http://www.jensonusa.com/!Wn1ICiQyydKm1 ... TszgXw_wcB

Ultimately, however, I want to switch to the MOWA BB.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/130708981536?lpid=82

I don't think that my stock cranks are compatible with that type of external bearing BB. How can I tell which cranks are compatible? Also, what kind of BB threading does my frame have?
JazzOne

Postby skliros » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:48 pm

JazzOne wrote:

It's kind of confusing, but the last post on the first page shows two pictures of two different blue bikes with two different bottom brackets. The blue bike on top is the Schwinn, and that one needs the FR1 tool to remove. The blue bike on the bottom has the type of bottom bracket that I have, which is apparently removable with pliers and a wrench, though I haven't gotten around to taking it off yet.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... 1&tbm=shop

no, that tool is used to remove the rear cassette/freewheel, which by the way, there are several styles of tool designs, but the one you posted is common, and used on shimano style freewheels.

instead, search for "shimano bottom bracket tool"
skliros

Postby skliros » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:50 pm

JazzOne wrote:I am also confused about BB and crank compatibility. I believe that I have a square tapered BB. I want to replace it, but I'm not ready to upgrade the cranks yet. So, I'm going to purchase the Shimano UN55, which comes in a variety of sizes:

http://www.jensonusa.com/!Wn1ICiQyydKm1 ... TszgXw_wcB

Ultimately, however, I want to switch to the MOWA BB.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/130708981536?lpid=82

I don't think that my stock cranks are compatible with that type of external bearing BB. How can I tell which cranks are compatible? Also, what kind of BB threading does my frame have?

i'm assuming your bike has square cranks, which should fit the un55, but you need to measure the spindle length, and you have to remove the cranks to do so. there is a special tool you can buy that helps remove the cranks.

for the mowa BB, you definetly need new cranks.
skliros

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:53 pm

skliros wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... 1&tbm=shop

no, that tool is used to remove the rear cassette/freewheel, which by the way, there are several styles of tool designs, but the one you posted is common, and used on shimano style freewheels.

instead, search for "shimano bottom bracket tool"

You are correct. I ordered the FR-1 for my freewheel, not the BB. Sorry for any confusion.
JazzOne

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions