Night riding, any interest here?

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Night riding, any interest here?

Postby tigris99 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:58 pm

Long story, wont bore you guys with it. Off work for surgery, had bought a new cheap Chinese light off amazon for my commuter (old light broke). That was march.

This is as of a couple days ago (second from left, little 2 emitter black thing was light from amazon)

Everything I've learned and know now after last couple months shows how cheaply you can have plenty of light for off road riding at speed, while getting everything with a BBB level budget.

Thought id see if people here were interested, I made a YouTube video (though a night my ion air camera kind sucks) showing what can be done for under $100 including batteries that will run my lights for 2hrs+ between charges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svPSMcziD6I&sns=em

If the interest is there ill put up more threads so people can see more details, what's out there, and how cheap it is to have lights that work for more than city streets
tigris99

Re: Night riding, any interest here?

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:21 am

Well, the days are getting shorter and dark is coming sooner (LOL). I've been riding pretty much every evening this past summer and I was down-and-out that the dark fall and winter nights are coming. So, I have some LED lights ordered and on the way. I had borrowed a buddy's head lamp with Cree LED and 4.8V battery, it was great but still a little more light would be nice, so I order a 7 LED bar mount light with separate battery pack. It is bright but it is not Cree LEDs. Probably an Asian knock-off and close to Cree brightness but not quite. So now I have ordered two 5 LED bar mount lights and a head-light. I made sure this time that they use Cree LEDs. Pics, maybe a video coming.

tigress99- I would love to hear about your findings and suggestions. I wish I had seen your post before I ordered lights.

Niner Jet9 - My last Price-Point purchase before they closed
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby neo71665 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:48 pm

I run one of
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T62RK1U/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
Off of a 20 volt dewalt lipo battery.

And let the weight weenies/haters go on. I'm an electrician so I have a supply of dewalt batteries. The lights I also run on my truck and 4 wheeler so I have them on hand. Had an extra and put it on the front rack on my bike.
neo71665

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:43 pm

neo71665 wrote:I run one of
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T62RK1U/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
Off of a 20 volt dewalt lipo battery.

And let the weight weenies/haters go on. I'm an electrician so I have a supply of dewalt batteries. The lights I also run on my truck and 4 wheeler so I have them on hand. Had an extra and put it on the front rack on my bike.

That has got to put out some light! I have some almost identical lights on my 4 wheeler. I think one of those and a lipo wouldn't weigh too much more then the 7 LED+battery unit that I have, but probably has twice the light output. I think you have a great idea there for a DIY rig.
Niner Jet9 - My last Price-Point purchase before they closed
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby Tomcat65 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:53 pm

I'm running something similar myself, but different, very light, and very bright.
3 Eagle Eye LED clear lights on a short section of aluminum angle. The aluminum angle is available at home improvement stores in flooring, sold as Bullnose, for trimming the face edge of stair treads.
the link to the lights
http://www.amazon.com/Zeltauto-Universal-Motorcycle-Daytime-Running/dp/B00VL9LNVO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1443577334&sr=1-1&keywords=eagle+eye+led

I run 3 of these and a motorcycle tail LED on a Dewalt Li-ion 12v cordless tool battery... It works on the same chargers I use for my 20v Dewalt tools and the battery is really light. All connected on the bench, the battery ran my combination for just over 10 hours on one charge. Will post pics as soon as I get the set up the way I want it to look
Tomcat65

Postby neo71665 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:48 pm

I love those lights, bright as all out and cheap. I have 2 as fog lights, 8 as work lights on my safari rack (2 per side), and 2 in the bumper as backup lights on my blazer. I also run some of the spot lights on the blazer. Two on the front and 2 on the rear of my 4 wheeler, and 6 on my boat. Got my dad and lil brother hooked on them also. I think the seller has me on some preferred program because our last order they threw in 4 free, when I emailed them and asked they said keep 'em. Thats why I had an extra and figured I would try it. I run those white eagle eye lights under my truck as rock lights They work great.

My first few of rides I carried 2 batteries but even after some really long rides (saw the sun come up) I've yet to run down a single 20 volt. I've since quit with 2 unless I'm a long ways from home. Might get a 12 volt and try it.

My rear light was a cheap led trailer clearance marker I got at wal mart on clearance. I've run it for a long time but I ordered some of these earlier today
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0148FAPHK/ref ... AKJH&psc=1

Gonna try one on each down tube on my rear rack. Might work great or might be a big pile of crap. Either or I live and ride in the boondocks so all the light I can have is better to both see and be seen by the idiot rednecks driving 90 to nothing on the backroads.

Also ordered one of these
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W5YJ5PK/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
Gonna try to make cut off shield to cut down on some of the glare for drivers on the road.
neo71665

Postby tigris99 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:58 am

Wow some interesting DIY set ups, nice. Though you couldn't pay me to fit off road truck lights and a dewalt pack on my bike, its an awesome idea. Doesn't look like the light is that terribly big and heavy but a 20v dewalt pack......

I use Chinese lights as a DIY modding thing. Open then up,make some changes, add a remote switch and go.

Lights I pretty much run now (mainly cause I dont have to mess with them for once). Are nitefighter lights. Bt21 on the helmet and bt40s on the bars. NOT as cheap as most Chinese junk, but only because unlike the cheap Chinese crap, the batteries actually work and last. The batteries with the cheap lights all over amazon and eBay are crap and possibly dangerous apparently (many reports of fires and explosions from the batteries). Oh and I HATE cool white lights. Neutral white is where its at lol.
tigris99

Postby BIGDCYCLES » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:33 am

Always interested in lighting, just have not done anything about it yet. There are some good diy lighting posts here http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/ check it out some are cheap, some a little more but great reading and info.
Mongoose Deception 29er, Triace AL 2.1 26", Vintage SS Conversion 27", Schwinn Criss Cross Mixte 26", Mongoose X-COM 700c (Project Xtreme Commuter)
BMX: 1998 Royce Union Vert X, 2000 Mosh Method, 2006 Redline Romp, 2007 Diamondback Joker
BIGDCYCLES

Postby neo71665 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:55 pm

A dewalt 20v is 5 18650 cells in a case. They also have 18 volt ones (4 cells). Both are about half a pound at the most depending on the rating.

Now nicad packs, yeah heavy. I bet the 18 volt ones I have are 2-3 lbs each.
neo71665

Return to General Discussions