Weight loss

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Weight loss

Postby Fuzzyplums » Fri May 29, 2015 5:26 am

Started riding my Stat 4.2 at Easter. Weighed in at 272 lbs!!! Weighed my self this morning and weighed 263 lbs.!!!! A loss of 9 lbs.!!! Slowly but surely working my way to a healthier weight!!! Just wanted to share. Anybody else riding to get exercise and loose weight please share!!!
Fuzzyplums

Re: Weight loss

Postby BoomerBrian » Fri May 29, 2015 8:02 am

Great job.

I bike and run as well as a healthy diet. Started at 235. Now I am at 195. Cycling is a great way to get healthy and have fun doing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Postby JohnnyMullet » Fri May 29, 2015 9:52 am

Last year I was 270+ lbs and borderline diabetic. Now I am 230 lbs and ride every day I can.
Ashtabula Crank Bicycle Club
JohnnyMullet

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri May 29, 2015 12:21 pm

You guys are an inspiration!!!
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby bubmiller » Fri May 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Fuzzyplums wrote:Started riding my Stat 4.2 at Easter. Weighed in at 272 lbs!!! Weighed my self this morning and weighed 263 lbs.!!!! A loss of 9 lbs.!!! Slowly but surely working my way to a healthier weight!!! Just wanted to share. Anybody else riding to get exercise and loose weight please share!!!

Me too, except I weigh quite a bit more than you. My first ride was pitiful, had to walk the smallest hills. Now I can ride my normal 8 mile circuit and the only place I have to walk is my steep driveway. Unfortunately, my bike hasn't fared to well with my excess weight. Therefore I'm going in a couple minutes to pick up a 2007 Gary Fisher.
bubmiller

Postby Fuzzyplums » Fri May 29, 2015 3:27 pm

Well don't give up bub!!! I'm still pushing my bike up two hills still but getting closer to the top every week!!! What model of Fisher you getting? Love to see some pics when you can.
Fuzzyplums

Postby cole.robinson.543 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:18 pm

Your in good company here in this forum. I was right around 280lbs 4 years ago. Lost 30 over a super intense (and long) winter working long hours outside with a newborn at home. The next year i reduced my sweets intake and walked 4hours a week. Got down to 220. The year after that i realized i had terrible knees and started thinking about jogging decided that there was no way that was gonna happen so i started riding a super heavy fs 26er 2.5kms a day, discovered mapmyride.com found that i could get speed and distance readings for my rides. Started trying to beat my times. Then adding distance. I rode a linear course so that i rode as far as i could then had to dig for more to get home. Bought my sinister 6.3 and rode strictly paved roads but got to 18km rides. Made a plan to ride to my work at 20km. Test road a friends roadie and found i could got an extra 3-5km per hour so i got myself a jamis road cycle. A few months later Pushed myself to 30k rides within an hour. Then i discovered the fun of dirt. My lowest weight has been 190lbs, i hit that in the summer times. There is always a little more of me to love in the winters.
cole.robinson.543

Postby bubmiller » Fri May 29, 2015 6:37 pm

I just got home with a Big Sur 17.5 inch. Mostly deore drive train :) I've never posted pics before but I'll try later. I noticed that with my weight the stress of hard pedaling was harder on the bike than just the downward pressure. The final straw was pulling a big hill and bending the rear axle forcing the tire into the frame.

Weight wise I'm trying to change my eating habits. Its rough though as cutting back food intake too far causes me to pass out with hard exercise.

I put about 120 miles on my stat 4.2 Most of that just gaining strength. This week however I finally noticed a difference how tight my clothes are!

Like the OP, I'm interested in hearing more from people trying to use biking to get in shape!
bubmiller

Postby Fuzzyplums » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:09 pm

A little off topic but today I quit smoking!!! I received my nicotine patches and nicotine lozenges from VA. My last vice to give up. Quit drinking a year ago today!!! Doing everything I can to get in better shape!!! Biking should become easier on those hills from now on. Also with the money I'll save, I'll be able to do upgrades on my bike!
Fuzzyplums

Postby junkyarddog » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:17 pm

I was around 270 lbs when I started riding again.... I am 250 right now after being on and off the bike because of health issues...also bike repairs didnt help either.....just got a commuter bike built, so I am gonna start riding.... cutting out carbs helps too....things like breads, rice, potatoes, corn, and other starchy foods.
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Next

Return to General Discussions