Weight loss

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Weight loss

Postby moron88 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:27 pm

just bought my first bike in nearly 8 years today. it's a huffy bantam that i got for $145 (less tax) after coupons. havent weighed myself in a few days but i've been hovering between 260 and 270. peaked last year at over 280, then i reunited with my brother after 16 years and lost about 20 just hanging out with him (used to eat due to boredom). i bought this bike because i loved riding as a kid but after going through 2 of the $80 bikes in a year i just didnt get another. i also have been thinking about getting into shape (no "back" about it) partly for me, and partly to be a better role model for my nieces and nephews.

i hate running as it hurts my knees and everything jiggles for 30 seconds after i stop so i'm going to be carving some trails around my property (just shy of 4 acres with little to no natural flat, level area) for walking/hiking as well as biking. as much as riding will burn calories, clearing the brush and trees will yield the most obvious results. i plan to supplement the cardio and lower body workout of biking with weight training using sections of log (why buy dumb bells when i have free heavy wood?) as well as some other exercises i've heard about using tools and various things i have around the property (example: hit an old tire with a sledge hammer. it's supposed to work out the back and abs as well as some arm muscles that normal lifting doesnt effectively use. the tire is there just to absorb the impact and to keep you from damaging anything).
moron88

Postby cole.robinson.543 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:09 pm

Sounds great. You're going to have to keep up updated with pictures of your trails.
cole.robinson.543

Postby moron88 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:43 am

i guess i'll have to swipe my sister's camera then. some of the trails are already there, just need to be fleshed out and made bike accessible (they're deer trails) whereas others plumb dont exist yet. tricky part will be navigating the tall, extremely steep hill faces along the road side of my property (to the east of the house is a hill with a ~35' face that bottoms out maybe 15 feet from the road. to the west there is an embankment wall that's the better part of 50' tall. both over 50* angles), thinking i might try coming down them diagonally. i want my main trail to be a perimeter trail with with alternate courses and detours. i think a new thread might be in order, as to keep this thread on topic.
moron88

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:11 pm

Moron88 you should really try and find information on making a proper flow trail that would keep you entertained for years to come.I know that there has to be information on developing land for trail use.
Purple Haze

Postby moron88 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:06 pm

i began plotting trails this morning. going to start by simply mowing a path around the back field. from there i'll plot deviations. once my brother has a few days off i'll con him into helping with the guise of the trials being jeep trails. him ripping through in his grand cherokees, ruts and divots will form to add to the technicality of an otherwise wide and relatively straight path. plus he has access to a tractor as well as better (and quite simply more) chainsaws than i have. not to mention his ram 1500 (may be 2wd but it's only been stuck twice, both times during the period in which his manual trans was stuck in 4th. (yes, my brother was able to drive a manual half ton pickup that only had 4th gear. it was his daily driver for about 4 months)) and the aforementioned jeeps. might even be able to rope other family members into helping in exchange for fire wood.

i've doe some research in the past about carving trails. there aint much from what i remember and most of them were either going on about the usefulness of this vs that piece of heavy machinery or they basically said "read the land" which i have already done/am currently doing. might try some different search key wards this time, see if anyone else has ever cut trails massively by hand. i might be the first to document it.
moron88

Postby nick_n_ii » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:32 pm

I just got back into biking to loose some weight. I'm at 210 now goal is 165.

Oh and I got both my kids and the wife into it as well..
nick_n_ii

Postby moron88 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:28 pm

for those interested, here is my trail build thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3753
moron88

Postby WebFootFreak » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:40 pm

In June of '13 I was 280lbs with high blood pressure and diabetic. I started riding and switched to Diet Dew. Lost a bit. Switched from the Diet Dew to water and started going hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and they reduced my meds. Completed 2 sprint triathlons last year and got down to 250. I'm still hovering at 250 (my fault), but I am no longer diabetic and have had my HBP meds cut twice. I've completed 1 sprint this year and knocked over 9mins off. Second race is coming up on Aug 8th. Stress eating is my achilles heel. When I'm in control of that, I lose weight. When I'm not, I plateau.
WebFootFreak

Postby Killgore » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:31 pm

Well I just found this. I started off at 330 as a 6'2 Freshman in highschool. I had been down in the 285 range while wrestling, but it was unsustainable weight loss. I had broke a rib my Jr year in HS and that ended my wrestling. Now as a freshman in college I was back up to 330 (327 to be exact). Well today was my 6 month anniversary of working out and I was down to 259 today. Everyone keep up the hard work! We will all be fit one day at this rate. i want to be down to 250 by the start of my semester (1 month from now). Just stick to your goals guys.
Killgore

Postby Buddha76 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:42 am

Just ran across this post and found that it fit my current situation. I haven't been on a bike since I was 13. I am about to be 40... Lol... My health went downhill 6 years ago. I was put on oxygen 3L 24/7 and diagnosed with a lot of lung issues and high BP and diabetes. I gave up on life and was told I would be dead by the time I was 40 and I was 347 pounds. On August 26, 2015 I decided to make a few changes and ended up dropping 107 pounds in less than 5 months, dropped all oxygen use, got off BP meds and diabetes meds. I am walking 10 miles a day now where I couldn't walk 50ft in August. All of that said, I decided to change up my routine a bit and start riding bikes again. At 240 pounds now and not really a tall fellow I decided on a 26" V2100. Cheap, functional and I like the way it rides so far. I haven't really put any mileage on it yet. I just got it 2 weeks ago and haven't had a chance to really ride. I am really looking forward to the change and improving my health. I'm not where I want to be but I am further than where I was! :D
Buddha76

Previous

Return to General Discussions