Big Box Bike That bad?

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Big Box Bike That bad?

Postby to the beach » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:17 pm

You do have another option, a used bike might get you riding too. You won't find a $150 used bike at a local bike shop that's going to be a better bargain than Walmart but you may find one from someone listing their bike on craigslist because bike shops are the worst low-ballers for trade-ins. I have seen some BBB deals on craigslist too, though 29ers are harder to come by. But if it's $199.99 at Walmart and someone sells a year later after buying it, it might be half price and tuned better than the store could do.
to the beach

Postby damian015 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:54 am

Renaldow wrote:Let us know what you end up getting!

A lot of good info and advice on this forum. Like the others have said, the #1 issue with BBB is poor assembly. You can get around that by assembling it yourself. Some basic tools are all that's needed, maybe a bottom bracket tool too. Some cheap marine grease from walmart for bearings and a little bit of time. Keep the bike simple, full suspension is just silly at these price points. I bought a walmart fixie for $85 on sale, redid the wheel bearings, assembled it all myself, and the only thing I've had to replace is the bottom bracket.

Went to walkmart to get bike grease and was not able to find any there. I didnt know you could use Marine Grease. Got to get back there and look for that.

BTW I end up getting the Mongoose Stat 4.2. I really dig the look of it.
damian015

Postby Falkon45 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:58 am

You can use any grease you want. I used automotive grease for years. Basically, because I work on cars, and it was the only stuff I had around. Not a single problem. Don't get wrapped around thinking tools or grease or bolts are bike specific.
Falkon45

Postby Renaldow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:43 am

Yeah, don't get caught up in the bike specific products. Things like grease are pretty much universal. Tools too, but with some exceptions like bottom bracket tools and the like that go into a unique fitting. But a bike is a mechanical object, and most things that work for all other mechanical objects work for bikes too. I do buy specific bike chain lube.

Also, with common accessories, don't get caught up in brands. Bell makes most everything. Bell is the brand that you'll find at places like Walmart and other similar stores in the bike aisle. Dick's sells the exact same items branded as (I think) Avenir, Diamondback or Nishiki with a 10-15% markup. My LBS sells the exact same items branded as Bontrager with a 25% mark up.

Hope you like the new bike!
Renaldow

Postby damian015 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:22 am

Renaldow wrote:Yeah, don't get caught up in the bike specific products. Things like grease are pretty much universal. Tools too, but with some exceptions like bottom bracket tools and the like that go into a unique fitting. But a bike is a mechanical object, and most things that work for all other mechanical objects work for bikes too. I do buy specific bike chain lube.

Also, with common accessories, don't get caught up in brands. Bell makes most everything. Bell is the brand that you'll find at places like Walmart and other similar stores in the bike aisle. Dick's sells the exact same items branded as (I think) Avenir, Diamondback or Nishiki with a 10-15% markup. My LBS sells the exact same items branded as Bontrager with a 25% mark up.

Hope you like the new bike!

Thanks for the heads up
damian015

Postby junkyarddog » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:29 am

I use chassis and wheel bearing grease... mostly because I have it around.... seems to work fine
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby to the beach » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:20 am

I have a tub of Harley Davidson wheel bearing grease leftover from a bike I owned and sold a few years ago. Even that grease seems to be no different than any bluish automotive grease. If I use this tub up, I'll buy the off-white colored marine grade grease as most all-conditions riders prefer.
to the beach

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Most "grease" is oil-based and is, by its very nature, water resistant (oil and water, etc.). Most "water resistant" grease on the market is designed to be difficult for water to wash away.... that is, it is thicker and sticks tenaciously to metal surfaces.

Most of us use a waxy lubricant on our chains which lubricates well and is difficult for water to remove. But you will notice that this chain lube is very hard. It depends upon friction in the chain to create enough heat to melt the chain lube and allow the grease in it to lubricate the moving parts. Chains are the more exposed to water so you don't want to use a light lubricant (like WD40) on a chain; or if you do, then you should do it every day!

Machine oil is good for moving brake parts and derailleur bits. Again, not WD40 but something like sewing machine oil.

Don't use chain lube (or WD-40 or other light lubricants) on bearings. Just buy good, all-purpose, grease and be sure to manipulate it into the bearings (roller or ball) and not just glob some one here or there. For bushings (bearings that have no roller surfaces) you need to make sure that they're all well covered.

All moving parts that you grease need to be well cleaned first. This is because grease (being designed to stick to metal surfaces) will also tend to hold dirt in place. Any dirt in grease will act like sandpaper and wear those bearings out faster than normal.

I would stick to regular oil-based grease and not use teflon or silicon grease. The only bearings on a bike that move fast are the bottom-bracket (crankshaft) bearings and the wheel bearings and neither of those move fast enough for long enough to need high temperature grease.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby 6sharky9 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:46 pm

"Real" marine grease uses Calcium Sulfonate soaps which is more water resistant and acts as an anti-corrosive compared to almost all other soaps/thickeners, particularly lithium soaps (used in some standard automotive grease) which aren't great in very wet or even just humid environments.

Calcium Sulfonate is also added to some oils for it's moisture repelling properties.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Renaldow » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:06 am

Great break down on the lubricants, WDR! WD-40 gets used too much as a general lubricant, it's not made for that. It's made to displace standing water from machinery, not lube said machinery. It's thin so it can get into nooks and crannies and get the water out before it corrodes and damages the metal. I don't use it on my bikes, but I could see it being useful to drive out water from the rear cassette, and small moving parts on the bike after getting wet/dirty.

Thanks for the info on the differences in the grease Sharky! I had to look it up and the Walmart 'Super Tech" marine grease I use is actually a "state of the art lithium complex" grease.
Renaldow

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions