Mongoose USA

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Mongoose USA

Postby 6sharky9 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:00 am

Was searching mongoose and apparently mongoose has a USA based site...You wont believe the prices.

Want a high end mongoose at bbb prices?
http://www.mongoose.com/usa/tyax-sport-20020
http://www.mongoose.com/usa/tyax-sport-29
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Re: Mongoose USA

Postby to the beach » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:46 am

I'm guessing the MSRP is only for fully serviced and guaranteed bikes from an authorized dealer that you talk down. Those "special" prices are still well above the bottom line of manufacturing and the bikes are selling via a factory outlet with replacement parts and no service.

Most of the bike's components are sold with BBB Walmart bikes, with the fork being a little better than most. Walmart may have passed up these bikes as walmart.com has A LOT more Huffy mountain bikes to choose from this year.
to the beach

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:04 am

The Tyax Sport 29" bike looks a lot like the Mongoose Deception frame with a decent Suntour fork and hydraulic disk brakes (instead of mechanical). The original Deception fork was a POS but easily replaced (now, at least). They say "full Shimano drivetrain" but since Shimano makes components at many different quality levels that's hard to ascertain. At $360-ish that looks like a good bike to me, though. I have more than that into my Deception over 4 years of riding in new bits.

But I now have a sealed bottom bracket, better crankset and pedals, better saddle, a new Suntour fork with lockout (in progress) and a hydraulic front disk brake (ready to put on if my wife hasn't hidden it somewhere during a clean-up of my shop).

Edit: I looked closer and found the specs and the Tyax Sport 29" bike is a really good bike. Hydraulic front/rear, cassette (mine is a freewheel), trigger shifters (mine are grip). Interesting that the Shimano SLM310 is rated as a 7-speed rear shifter but the bike is spec'ed as 8-speed.

I have a bunch of bikes (including a Trek 4500 and a Trek Y-frame OCLV FS) and I ride the Deception more than any of them (except for rough downhill where I to to the Trek Y). Wife now rides the 4500 (if I can get her on a bike at all).

I wonder if Pacific Cycle is still handling these... just not through WM. They have a terrific reputation for support.

Looks to me like a darn good choice for a new 29er rider.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby 6sharky9 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:31 pm

Dorel seems to have 2 models of mountain bike listed that were manufactured by Pacific and sold through BBB (STAT and Switchback)....The Tyax however has always been one of the upper end models made by Dorel and only sold through a LBS dealer...What gets me is the "USA" in the site link...Mongoose (Dorel) moved over seas and didnt sell the higher end bikes anymore in the USA.

Hopefully they are trying to make a comeback here in the US...The "special" prices are only on select models but they are amazing for higher end models...Mongoose (Dorel) never really spec'd out the mongoose with high end part unless you got in the very high dollar range.
6sharky9

Postby to the beach » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:03 pm

Tyax has a choice of frame sizes too, more like LBS.
to the beach

Postby 6sharky9 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:44 pm

to the beach wrote:Tyax has a choice of frame sizes too, more like LBS.

Yea..the tyax and a few other models on the site have been part of mongoose high end for quite some time..A member here (who has been MIA lately) is a mongoose buff and hes got one of them..Irishmongoose.

Those are killer deals...Those Tyax models are killer deals...its not top name components but the mongoose entry level high end bikes always used reliable components for the most part...Great frames also.
6sharky9

Return to General Discussions