Help. What can I do with my bike ?

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Help. What can I do with my bike ?

Postby omar » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:32 pm

I have Huffy Sports Ravine Bike. Here is a picture of it ( This is just a picture of a bike exactly like mine that I found on google- but not my bike)

http://media.photobucket.com/user/4Sale ... ml?filters[term]=(SOLD)%20Huffy%20Ravine%20with%20Duel%20Shocks&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=0

I'm wondering how I can make this bike better and tune it up without paying more than the bike is worth. It was bought many years ago for around 100-200$.

Problems with it currently
- Gears don't shift properly
- Squeaking and other random noises
- Brakes aren't that great.
- Front wheel is wobbling.

It rides ok and it's been pretty durable with falls and stuff but I've been worried lately about it breaking on me b/c of the squeezing and random noises that come from the middle of the bike.

Took it to a local bike shop and I was quoted $100 to check it out, only $30 for the gears and brakes though.

I was also told that this bike is a small frame and that I need either a medium or large .

Should I just get a new bike ? or is it bike worth fixing ?

Thanks !
omar

Re: Help. What can I do with my bike ?

Postby JohnnyMullet » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:53 pm

Walmart sells the Bell pit crew 500 cable set for like $8.00 and replacing all the old cables would help with shifting and braking. The old brake pads are probably dried out so get new pads also.

Bottom bracket noise is easy to cure on a one piece crank. Remove the left pedal. Remove the large nut (reverse thread) on the crank, the washer, and spin out the cone nut. Unhook the chain from the crank gears and let it rest on the bottom bracket while you remove the crank. Clean and repack them bearings with new grease. Put it back together, but don't overtighten the inner nut. There is a balance between having no play in the crank and it should spin freely with the outer nut tight. This is a good video on how to do this.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjgsx9DOl8o

You can also search youtube on how to true a bicycle rim, adjust rear derailleur, etc. Good luck and report back the results!
Ashtabula Crank Bicycle Club
JohnnyMullet

Postby junkyarddog » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:17 pm

I love the one piece cranks as far as ease of service..... my 72 schwinn doesnt need really any specialized tools....in fact I repacked the rear wheel bearings and installed a new axle to replace the bent one with a straight one from a parts bike.....didnt even take the freewheel off.... gotta love loose ball bearing hubs!.... back to the OP......cables are easy to replace.... what do you mean by wobble in the front wheel? loose bearings or bent wheel?
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:36 pm

So, I actually looked the bike up,

650b/27.5 wheels, 3 piece crankset, disc tabs in rear, but v-brakes all around. First, measure your bike. Start at the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube. That's your size. Typically 16-17" is small 18-19" is medium 20+"is large. What's your height , reach, and inseam. This can help determine your best size.

The squeaking sounds are bearings that need lubrication. You can pull it apart and do it yourself pretty easy with the wheels, but will need a crank puller to do the bottom bracket. I do suggest you get a sealed cartridge unit. Sunlite/necco had some low cost units that hold up well. Most guys use the shimano UN 25 or 55.

Your front wheel needs to be trued. I do suggest you have the bike shop do it. $30 max for both. You can adjust the derailleurs yourself with a set of pliers and a screwdriver. You don't really need the pliers, but I use them to better set cable tension.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.
Falkon45

Postby omar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:01 pm

So I decided that as the bike is too small for me that I'm just going to get a new one. Unless that is I can change up the wheels from being 24s to being 26 or 29. I can't bring up the seat any higher and I'm mostly using my quads to cycle. Brakes and derailleur aren't that great either so I feel like I'll be putting money into something that will just break on me at some point.

Thanks for your help folks. I'll be keeping note of the advice you've suggested for my new bike. I'll be posting another topic soon to ask for assistance in buying a new bike. I
omar

Postby junkyarddog » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:48 pm

yep another bike is your best bet.. find something that fits.... I have been lucky in the fact I got my bikes free and they fit( sold the stuff that didnt)..... I also ride a medium.... dont overlook used bikes if they are in good shape
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Return to General Discussions