Bikes direct recommend

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Bikes direct recommend

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:12 am

Recently Walmarts line of mountainbikes has been thinning in quality with many drivetrains reduced to 21 gears.The days of Mongoose DH comp,Blackcomb and host of other 26ers have long gone and were replaced with cheaper less suitable bikes that demanded to be modded right away.Bikes direct has been there all along and in total truth they are offering one of the last 26er dual suspension packages that can be considered complete for now less than the original offer which exceeded Walmarts price years back by a substantial amount.I personally have never owned one of these bikes but they certainly look like the right stuff and for less than 400usd with 24 speeds there is nothing over here in Europe that even compares.Of course these bikes are cross country in concept but really for most of us that is all you need unless your dressed in motocross gear and are willing to endure pain and possible injury.
Purple Haze

Re: Bikes direct recommend

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Sorry for any pun at downhillers,i know it is popular but I am too old and too chicken to commit myself to flying through the air.
Purple Haze

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:20 am

I can't recall any WM bikes having more than 21-gears. This is because they all have been OEM-equipped with freewheels and not cassettes; and 7 gears is about all you can jam onto a freewheel.

Still, 21 speeds is quite a lot; and probably more than enough for the average MTB rider, anyway.

But the suspension forks on big box bikes have come a long way from my 2011 Mongoose Deception; the travel on that OEM fork was scanty and it only got worse over time. Plus heavy!!! But quite a few of the $200 bikes at WM have reasonable suspension forks now.

Bikes-Direct is a good source, though. But the downside is that you can't swing a leg over a BD bike so you have to have some level of expertise in order to buy what you think you like and exchanging one is far more complicated than if you just buy something at WM. I look at BD as a "first step up" supplier. Once you figure out what you want to do on a bicycle (which may be more than just one or two things, by the way) then you move up from a BBB.

Price Point has also been a good source. Especially for those inevitable first upgrades but they also have some sweet bikes at big box store prices.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Falkon45 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:46 am

They have up to 10 speed freewheel. I have an 8 speed one that came on my denali pro. And the forks on BBB still suck, but some do come with better low end sr suntour forks. But anything with "zoom", " kolo", or any other unknown fork will be terrible.

Once you learn sizing, you won't have to rely on having to sit on the bike as much.
Falkon45

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:39 am

I think Bikes direct is appealing to a different crowd than pricepoint in the fact that they don't have the latest designs.If your going to start building a modern day racer downhill or otherwise Aliexpress has deals that make you think twice about anyone else in the entire biking industry with top notch 29er carbon dual suspension frames below 800usd.The same exact frames are featured over and over again with different paint schemes for sometimes as much as 5 and 6 times over theirs.Falkons downhill frame that he featured is the lowest priced high quality real downhill suspension frame I have found on the entire internet that is brand new.
Purple Haze

Postby 6sharky9 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Any info on what makes those 300 dollar frames top notch?..I certainly agree bikes direct can be a much smarter approach to get started..You do get "true" entry level componants or all the way up to the best you can get depending on budget...you have many options to chose from which is a nice feature.

Had i not spent one penny more other than the cost of my motobecane i would still not "need" to upgrade...the wheels were fine..the handle bars and seat and everything else i replaced on it would be considered an upgrade for a bbb model ,actually...i paid $350.00 shipped for it when they were first releasing the 2015 models...now they sell for $400.

Had i spent $200 for a bbb then upgraded the most basic parts we rely on, i wouldve spent alot more than $350.00 on it.

BBB bikes have a place in the industry..A great way to learn how to ride a bike for the first time or need some transportation or recreation fun. However when you decide you are liking it its time to advance to make it a more enjoyable activity...As ive said before buying one then replacing everything but the frame makes no sense considering you can buy a much better frame for the same cost...So, i personally get the "upgrade as you can afford" method but its not the best route to take if you are serious about riding.

All i can say is ive owned two of the more popular bbb models and considering how the motobecane felt, guess which models i sold?

I was able to choose my proper frame size for one (19")....2. The components are certainly upgrades over any bbb bike...3..i paid less than building a bbb frame to the same specs and with maybe a better built frame and design....its not made in the giant or trek factory or anything but i trust it more than a bbb frame but still within limits.

I suppose the best move one can make after spending a fortune on a bbb is to find a "real" frame and put those parts on it.

If riding on a family trail or commuting around town is all you care about in a bike then the bbb frame should be more than adequate and you have nothing lost in upgrades you chose...But if those upgrades make you think you can rip on it like an experienced rider then you should re consider your reasoning.

Thats about all i can say on the subject..consider a bikes direct model a complete upgrade to a bbb.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:18 pm

No doubt bikes direct is a upgrade over bbbs but the original starting price was higher than I or most people were willing to pay.The sale makes it the best bargain I have seen period and I originally wanted a dual suspension bike from there but couldn't pony up the price of 1000 usd on the original offer like most people that have to maintain further financial obligations.Walmart was there with what I thought would be a bargain with the Blackcomb and it had very similar features but was subpar over a bikes direct frame in the first place.Yes there is info on 300 dollar frames being absolutely superior to bikes direct or anything else in the fact that it has a true downhill suspension starting point unlike anything else including bikes direct or name brand manufacturers have and if that is the type of bike you want then that is the way to go.If anyone wants a true downhill frame that is new they have to come up with a grand or more anywhere else.Brand name manufacture bikes look to be the same thing in their offerings and in fact most of them give what your getting off Aliexpress a paint job and a higher price tag.The 29er dual suspension carbon frame looks identical to what is being used by the racers in UCI in 2015 races and that is enough for me.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:58 pm

Bikes direct bikes seem to be sourced through Alibaba also.There specs are higher because they are buying volume but the seller has a identical example bike for the gravity 2.0 that is featured.We as consumers cannot buy them for this price since the deal was made on volume between the seller and bikes direct but make no mistake they are still considered a big box bike,just not from Walmart.No sharky these bikes are not the latest design using the latest aluminum like others that are sold on aliexpress but I guarantee they are strong frames.They are also selling 99 usd 6061 aluminum hardtail frames with free shipping so don't get so caught up in the price because that is not the determining factor.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Everyone out there looking to purchase a bike should really give this company a look because the packages that their selling are pretty impressive and after reading about what is desired from so many people on this forum from a brand new bike these people got you covered.There are bikes that compete with them like Schwinn Firewire or Mongoose xr29 pro but very little else out there right now that are complete packages can compete.Just putting a good word in for a company that adjusted their price range to suit American consumers unlike many other companies out there.These bikes are still bbbs but just not from the major retailers.
Purple Haze

Postby desertguns » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:12 pm

I'm like Sharky & many people here in that I want/need components I like/want. If I didn't know how to do much wrenching on a bike, or didn't want to, then I'd go with a BD bike & find a good bike shop. But I'm most likely gonna change the bars, stem, grips, seat, pedals, tubes & tires for starters, no matter where I buy a bike. Don't get me wrong, BD has some great deals. I may yet get a fat bike from them. On the other hand, I've had my Deception 5 years now. It took 4 years of playing with it to get it the way I want. You can't buy that experience from Bikes Direct or anywhere else! :D
desertguns

Next

Return to General Discussions