New New Bike. Need Advice

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

New New Bike. Need Advice

Postby omar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Hello everyone. I'm from Toronto and I'm shopping around for a bike to buy. I'll mainly be using it for ~ 7k bike rides to work around 3-4x a week as long as the weather is nice, though I'm considering using it during the winter as well. I probably won't bike it for 7km during the winter, but just for 5 minutes down the road so it's quicker for me to get to my bus stop. Or would it be too much of a hassle to ride in the snow and ice and I should just walk the 20 minutes in the cold instead ? I would like to be able to take it on gravel/grass, some minor rough road so I think a hybrid would work best. Am I right at all ?

The main stores here in Toronto that sell bikes are Sportchek, Canadian Tire and Walmart. There are of course a few bike shops.
The brands available are : CCM, Supercycle, Shwinn, GT, Diadora, Nakamura, Huffy, Kent

Which ones do you recommend ?

- A good few of these bikes are 50% off or 100-200 off. Should I be wary of those bikes ? If a bike is going for $300 with an original price tag of $600. Should I consider this a quality bike ?
Ex:

Or should I get a used LBS branded bike off of Kijiji/Craiglist ?

Please help ! Your advice will be much appreciated. THANKS!
omar

Re: New New Bike. Need Advice

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Hybrids are ok for city travel but if you can find that Schwinn firewire 4.0 that is featured in the last thread then you will have a bike that although heavier will be better suited to multipurpose task.Add 16 or slightly more Canadian dollars to the price and change the rear hg 31 cassette for a hg 51 to lighten the rear end and you should have a pretty high quality bike that is fast on dirt and street.
Purple Haze

Postby omar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:18 pm

Can't find the schwinn firewire bike you' mentioned.

Any other suggestions?

I don't know how to identify a good bike from a bad one. How can I learn?
omar

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:35 pm

Falkon45

Postby omar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:07 pm

As I said. I'm from Toronto. Toronto is in Canada. That is a US website that you linked me to
omar

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:17 pm

America's hat! Lol. I'm sure it can be shipped to you, but that is the bike you said you couldn't find. So, let's figure out what you want. Since you are commuting, I would say you need a rigid or hardtail. A 700c hybrid would do you some good. Now, since this is an American site, and you're in Toronto, us Americans may have a hard time finding you a bike that's available in Canada unless it's available in America as well. So, expect American links to pop up a lot. I can suggest you a type of bike you should look for, but it would be better if you looked around and tried a few out.
Falkon45

Postby omar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:52 pm

Yea shipping would likely be costly and if the bike doesn't turn out to be a good fit then it would be a waste of time and money. I'm leaning towards a hardtail as I'd like to have some sort of cushioning.

So you suggest a 700c hybrid. That's a 29 right? What about brands? Are the ones I mentioned familiar at all? Would I be able to get better help if I post links to bikes I'm considering and get some advice on them?
omar

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:24 pm

Yeah, 700c and 29er are the same size. But 700c bikes would have skinnier wheels and tires. Schwinn, gt, huffy, and Kent are familiar to me. The rest aren't. We have a bike called the hyper spinfusion . it's a rigid, but would be s great bike. A hybrid will look something like this and some come with suspension forks.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/700C-Hyper-Sp ... e/25414434
Falkon45

Postby omar » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:58 am

omar

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:54 pm

For my taste I would go with the Nakumura because it looks like it can take a pounding better and its 700 cc but truthfully I am surprised at the offerings in Canada for the price.I thought the Canadians would have more offerings for Big Box Bikes, but the Walmart has very little to offer.I know CCM is a big brand with hockey but didn't know they offer bikes as well.The prices for Chinese made goods must come with high tariffs becuause 24 speed bikes are nearly double the American price.
Purple Haze

Next

Return to General Discussions