Schwinn Fire 4.0 vs Ascension

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Schwinn Fire 4.0 vs Ascension

Postby pboy207 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:21 am

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on which bike to get. I'm trying to decide between Schwinn Fire 4.0 and the Schwinn Ascension. They are both on sale at Target, the Fire is $196 and the Ascension would is a little more ($210). From my research they seem to be very well equipped for BBB bikes. There seem to be more ppl on here with the Ascension. I'm wondering if that has to do with price or if it it's really a better bike. The Schwinn Fire retails for more, but it's on sale which brings the price down alot where it's actually a little less than the Ascension. This will be my first bike from when I was a kid. This will be used for casual riding, some road and some in the park with the kids. So, just looking for some help as to which is the better bike. Thanks in advance for your help.

http://www.target.com/p/schwinn-elite-s ... hwinn+fire

http://www.target.com/p/schwinn-mens-as ... A-13971520
pboy207

Re: Schwinn Fire 4.0 vs Ascension

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:07 am

Schwinn fire 4.0 all the way.The ascension is only 21 speeds and the front fork is of a lower quality.Very good deal for the price and for the specs it looks like a good bike.
Purple Haze

Postby pboy207 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:53 am

Thanks for the quick response. Are there any advantages the Ascension would have over the Firewire? Any drawbacks in getting the Firewire?
pboy207

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:09 pm

Doesent look like too many drawbacks with the firewire.The bike looks ride ready for trail or street and should be a bike that you will keep for a while.The ascension is more street based and has cheaper componentry and for the same price wouldn't be satisfying.The firewire also looks like a bike that would take very little money to further build it to a much higher quality bike. For instance the rear cassette is probably a Shimano hg31 which weighs a lot but can be swapped for a hg51 for less than 20 bucks now.The front suspension is usable but doesn't measure up to the same company Suntours epicon series fork,which can be had for 200usd and those two changes alone would more than likely put that bike into much higher performance bracket on the trail.Then again like I said the firewire looks ride ready.
Purple Haze

Return to General Discussions