New Members introduce yourself and say hello!

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

Re: New Members introduce yourself and say hello!

Postby Fuzzyplums » Sun May 03, 2015 7:38 am

Well wife is buying me a cost efficient (cheap) set of tools for my birthday next month. I think I'm already hooked due to this forum!!! So much info and friendly people here!!! I'm really looking forward to working on my bike and making changes to it components!!! I live in the country so will only be taking bike on dirt roads and paved roads; but I still want to have a bike that I can depend on and not break down and leave me pushing it home!! That is why I love this forum. So much info to help prevent such an event. I know things can still happen to the best of bikes but with so much info here, I stand a better chance of preventing things from happening. In case I haven't mentioned it, I love this forum!!!
Fuzzyplums

Postby WebFootFreak » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:17 pm

Hello, I am WebFootFreak and I am addicted to tinkering with things. I could also care less about 10 of the other 11 steps. I'll "bring a friend" any time.

I started riding again in June of 13 due to weight, diabetes and high blood pressure. I started off with an old Huffy Mt Havok and worked my way up to 20+ mile rides. Yes, on a 40+lb mountain bike. Later that year, I decided I needed a goal so... I made plans to run the Memphis in May sprint triathlon. I figured I needed a road bike to make things a bit easier. That Christmas, my wife gifted me with a GMC Denali. Now, I'd done my homework and I knew the reputation these bike have but... my wife thought enough of me to get this. I rode her pretty much in stock form for the race. And finished. I decided I liked it so I signed up for a second race. I added SPD pedals and did better on the bike. I ended up trashing the BB, so I swapped to a sealed BB and went to 170mm x 53/36 cranks. I ran Memphis in May again this year. It moved, so the swim was longer, plus the bike and run legs had rolling hills over pancake flat last year. I managed to cut over 9 minutes from my time. I sold the Mt Havok to a co-worker who rides casually with his wife. I've been kicking around the idea of adding in an Xterra sprint next year. As luck would have it, a Genesis V2100 fell in to my lap about a month ago (trash rescue). I realigned everything, put the cables back into position and the only thing that isn't working is the gear indicator... bummer :). I plan on wrenching on that using the threads here to beef it up so I can go play with my Mt Bike buddies and try that race. I made a deal last week that makes me the happy owner of a Felt Z100. Now I understand the difference in the quality of the bikes. The plan is to use my Felt as the primary and use the Denali as backup on the trainer and for inclement weather. To that end, I'm planning on throwing a few more parts at it both to have fun and to upgrade. Of course, I could always upgrade the drivetrain on the Felt and use that stuff on the Denali... possibilities are endless.

Oh... I'm also down 30lbs, no longer diabetic and have had my HBP meds cut twice. Bonus!
WebFootFreak

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:09 pm

That's just awesome!!!! And great job on the Triathlons!! You sir, are a far braver man than I. And though you may not need to throw upgrades at the felt, look around for some. I just came across an awesome deal on some SRAM Apex components that were new take-offs, cept for the front derailleur ( it was rode for a few miles). Now looking into a full carbon stem/handlebar/seatpost deal on aliexpress. Then, you can take all those parts off the felt, and put most of them on the denali.
Falkon45

Postby WebFootFreak » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:28 am

Yeah... I was bored at work yesterday and I found myself on Bikeisland and Nashbar looking at 1" threadless carbon forks...
WebFootFreak

Postby Falkon45 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:36 am

I've done the conversion. Believe me, it's worth it. It opens up you options dramatically. But make sure you use the 1"to 1-1/8" shim. It gets kinda tough to find 1" threadless stems.
Falkon45

Postby leonardH » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Hello all. New member but not new to cycling. MTBing is my passion and I hit the trails at least a few times a week. Sorry, I don't have a bbb but I have a hand full of bikes and figured we share the same passion.
leonardH

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Welcome! And don't worry, all bikes are welcome here, so don't feel excluded. Post up some pics when you get there chance. We'd love to see what/where you ride.
Falkon45

Postby leonardH » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:54 pm

This is from my ride this morning. Riding my retro bike, a 88 Specialized with dirt drops.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438552431.879738.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438552431.879738.jpg (502.7 KiB) Viewed 493 times
leonardH

Postby cdamm » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:26 pm

hi all!

I just got back into biking and well, i wasn't willing to spend 'good bike' money on something i wasn't sure i was going to get back into. Well after everyone around me and countless websites said to avoid anything big box style, I found this site. I've been lurking for a few months. Well I finally got my bike about a month back and started to build it up! I'm going to post up about it as well. It's a mongoose seek'r and well, i finally have a bike that fits me and its interesting feeling the bike transform into a real roller as the parts get swapped out for better stuff. I'm targeting 'quality on a budget' and i think im on the right track here. I hope to hear some feedback on my build thread!
cdamm

Postby Hank McMauser » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:14 am

Hi I'm Hank I work at a lumberyard in a small town in SW Idaho. Been riding for years, though not a lot for the last few years. My current ride is a 20+ year old GiantnRincon with updated specialized wheels I had made up through Nashbar 18+ years ago. I'm currently awaiting to get a mid fat bike like the mongoose terrex. Would like to use it for some overnight camping/hunting trips.
Hank McMauser

PreviousNext

Return to ChatRoom