New Members introduce yourself and say hello!

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

Re: New Members introduce yourself and say hello!

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:13 pm

Do you pronounce that Mullet or Moo-lay? :D
Sharp bike there, looking forward to reading about that one. Looks like a cool place to ride too!
Tomcat65

Postby Bigshot » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:37 am

Welcome JohnnyMullet.
Bigshot

Postby poriggity » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:44 pm

Hey guys, my name is Scott. I don't currently have a bike, but I should be purchasing in the near future I have a very limited budget of around $250 max for a bike, so I am doing research on what's the best bang for the buck. Main usage will be light fire roads, and some pavement. Just want to have a mode of transportation and excersize whwn I'm out in the wilderness camping, and I plan to make morning rides on the weekend a ritual of mine.. so far, I'm looking at either a genesis v2100 or a mongoose ledge 2.2. I can't really make up my mind, but I tend to over research something when I want to get into it. I look forward to learning a lot!!
poriggity

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:12 am

Within your budget and just looking at the bikes side by side, there is a glaring difference that stands out to 99% of us who follow these bikes..
The front fork.
The mongoose Ledge 2.2 has a 1" threaded head design that makes it much harder to upgrade when the stock fork fails.
The Genesis has a 1 1/8" threadless design that some would argue is actually stronger and far more customizable for fit and function.

Second, I have a young friend down the street with a Ledge 2.2.. The 7 speed grip shifter on his bike was broken after one week, it's a terribly weak piece that will leave you in the hardest to pedal gear in the rear.
The V2100 has a trigger/thumb shifter design that some have had better luck with. Add more genuine Shimano components and My mind is leaning hard in one direction

Either of these bikes is a good start, but for "Bang for the buck" I'd go Genesis V2100. On first sight, they look to be very similar, but it's the long haul that will show you the difference, My opinion is that the Genesis will make the haul longer before the little problems come up.

Let us know what you decide Scott! Prove me wrong with the Mongoose if you just like it better :P Or go with the V2100 and show us what you got!
Tomcat65

Postby BoomerBrian » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:14 am

For the type of riding you want to do don't get a full suspension. You don't need it. Get a hard tail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Postby poriggity » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:48 am

BoomerBrian wrote:For the type of riding you want to do don't get a full suspension. You don't need it. Get a hard tail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brian,
I am seriously thinking about just getting a hardtail.. I just don't know where to start with those, as most BBB are full suspension nowadays...
poriggity

Postby poriggity » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:06 am

Tomcat65 wrote:Within your budget and just looking at the bikes side by side, there is a glaring difference that stands out to 99% of us who follow these bikes..
The front fork.
The mongoose Ledge 2.2 has a 1" threaded head design that makes it much harder to upgrade when the stock fork fails.
The Genesis has a 1 1/8" threadless design that some would argue is actually stronger and far more customizable for fit and function.

Second, I have a young friend down the street with a Ledge 2.2.. The 7 speed grip shifter on his bike was broken after one week, it's a terribly weak piece that will leave you in the hardest to pedal gear in the rear.
The V2100 has a trigger/thumb shifter design that some have had better luck with. Add more genuine Shimano components and My mind is leaning hard in one direction

Either of these bikes is a good start, but for "Bang for the buck" I'd go Genesis V2100. On first sight, they look to be very similar, but it's the long haul that will show you the difference, My opinion is that the Genesis will make the haul longer before the little problems come up.

Let us know what you decide Scott! Prove me wrong with the Mongoose if you just like it better :P Or go with the V2100 and show us what you got!
'

This is great info! I'll probably look harder at the V2100 then, as I know I'll want parts that can be upgraded or fixed if needed. Thank you!
poriggity

Postby hardtrailz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:36 am

New guy about to buy his first 29 inch mountain bike. Done a bunch of research and think I will start with a hardtail with this one and do a FS with the next. Love to start budget and build things so this place seems right up my alley.

Thanks for all the good info already. Hope I can contribute around here.
It is what it is!
hardtrailz

Postby to the beach » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:41 am

Welcome hardtrailz! If you search the 29er section you may find a bike someone else has already upgraded successfully.
to the beach

Postby Azusa » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:32 pm

Hello everyone. Im a new member from NYC Metro area who likes to tinker with, and ride bikes for fun. I have owned many road and mountain bikes over the years and do all my repairs, replacements and mods. I stumbled upon this very interesting site in my search for info on two Genesis bikes sold by WM stores.
A friend recently bought a Specialized bike for around $2K. It has 21 speeds and combination brake/shifter levers, among many other features.
I like the idea of having the climbing capability of my Trek mountain bike on my road bike because this is a hilly region.
However I cant see spending $2k to get these features.
I have given up on the combi shifter/brake levers because they go for about $150 each. I can get a new Genesis G500 for that.
Which brings me to either replace the 6 speed freewheel on my Peugeot road bike with a 7 speed Trek freewheel I have around, or buy a 21 speed Genesis Tech, or its improved sibling, the 24 speed Genesis G500. Problem is, I can find very little info about either of these bikes on the WM website, and they are not a stock item in my local WM store for me to "go kick some tires".

Any info, recommendations, or advice on this issue, is welcome.
Thanks, Az.
Azusa

PreviousNext

Return to ChatRoom