New Members introduce yourself and say hello!

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

Re: New Members introduce yourself and say hello!

Postby Azusa » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:42 pm

Hello everyone. Im a new member from NYC Metro area who likes to tinker with, and ride bikes for fun. I have owned many road and mountain bikes over the years and do all my repairs, replacements and mods. I stumbled upon this very interesting site in my search for info on two Genesis bikes sold by WM stores.
A friend recently bought a Specialized bike for around $2K. It has 21 speeds and combination brake/shifter levers, among many other features.
I like the idea of having the climbing capability of my Trek mountain bike on my road bike because this is a hilly region.
However I cant see spending $2k to get these features.
I have given up on the combi shifter/brake levers because they go for about $150 each. I can get a new Genesis G500 for that.
Which brings me to either replace the 6 speed freewheel on my Peugeot road bike with a 7 speed Trek freewheel I have around, or buy a 21 speed Genesis Tech, or its improved sibling, the 24 speed Genesis G500. Problem is, I can find very little info about either of these bikes on the WM website, and they are not a stock item in my local WM store for me to "go kick some tires".

Any info, recommendations, or advice on this issue, is welcome.
Thanks, Az.
Azusa

Postby BoomerBrian » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:57 am

You might also look at bikesdirect.com. They have a nice selection of road bikes for a fraction of the cost. I have the Windsor Wellington 2.0 and really like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Postby CatDaddy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Hello, noob from Arkansas coming up on 52 yoa, used to be a Bull Rider then i got into Hiking & Camping, love the outdoors. I have been hiking on bike trails since 2011 and with recent upgrades at local trails it looked like it would be fun to ride a bike on some of them and got bit by the Mtn. Bike bug. Determining i did not want to spend over $150 on a bike i read many reviews and settled on the 26" Hyper Havoc Mtn. Bike and had it assembled at the local Super Center. I had pneumonia when i bought it last month and am still recovering but have gotten in many days of riding - first on streets, yards, paved driveways and a huge dirt/gravel parking lot near the river here to learn the bike and get my endurance up. Have now moved up too the local Mtn. Bike Trails and though i have 'stepped off' of it many times i have yet to crash & burn on the trail :D . I was very glad to find the BBB Board and i am glad to be here.
CatDaddy

Postby Saintsreturn » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:37 pm

Welcome all. Enjoy the site and of course enjoy riding! There is some great knowledge on this site and I hope you find it useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saintsreturn

Postby mickzab » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Hello Everyone, newbie from MD, recently bought a Blue Genesis Saber, wanted to gain knowledge from BBB forums and upgrade in a near future.
mickzab

New guy

Postby Dan_J » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:16 pm

Greetings,

I currently live in Oklahoma, originally from Wisconsin, and was stationed in North Dakota for 9 years with the Air Force. I'm 32 years old, I separated from the service this past January to return to college for an aerospace engineering degree from OU. This is my first bicycle experience since I was 20 or so. So far I bike to commute the 5 mile round trip from my apartment to campus, the occasional spin around the neighborhood with the wifey, and light trips to the grocery store. My low buck bike of choice is the Hyper Hvoc. I purchased based on the decent reviews it got compared to other bikes in its price bracket.

My additions/alterations as of now are:

Profile Design Bar ends
Sunlite Ergo grips
Blackburn mirror
Schwinn seat post rear rack
Wal Mart "milk" crate
Bell Dashboard 100
Brighteyes head/tail lights
Bell Recline 800 seat
Kenda K841A tires
Attachments
20150429_164849 resized.jpg
20150429_164849 resized.jpg (353.16 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Dan_J

Postby Fuzzyplums » Fri May 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Greetings all. I'm a complete noob at this biking thing. Haven't ridden a bike in over thirty years! I mentioned to the wife I needed extra exercise. She bought me a mongoose stat 4.2 from Walmart for $99.00. I don't know if it's a good bike or not. I have been all over this forum reading everything I can about it. I have come to learn that I know nothing about the bike. Never had a bike with gears. I've read in here that the Walmart bikes require upgrades. What needs upgrading? Checked with LBS and was insulted due to the fact I have a Walmart mongoose! Won't be going there!!! So now I'm gonna try and take care of things myself. I have no idea what parts to look for or what will fit my bike. Far from being a rich man and can't afford to spend a lot of money on upgrades. So the best I can get for the least amount is what I am able to do. One part at a time that is. So all help and info is much appriciated!!!
Fuzzyplums

Postby cole.robinson.543 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Welcome Fuzzyplums, great name. With all big box bikes the bottom bracket (the bearing between your crank arms) is a point of early failure. You can take it apart now before you get too many miles on it an make sure that it is adequately greased. You would need a crank arm removal tool to do that. Or you can wait for it to fail then replace it with a shimano bb un55 (around $20) and get the tools for that. Everything else is replace as it breaks or you have a problem with its performance. If you just want some exercise on paved or gravel roads then very little will need to be done.
cole.robinson.543

Postby Fuzzyplums » Fri May 01, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks cole!!! I figured I would need special tools to work on it. Just my luck...lol!!! I've looked at inexpensive tool kits to use on it. Granted they will not be Park tools but for as little as I'm gonna work on it, they should do until I can save up for better tools. I figure YouTube is gonna be my resource on how to replace the parts. Just didn't think things on bikes have become so complicated since I last rode one. Lol...
Fuzzyplums

Postby cole.robinson.543 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:05 pm

If you are only planning on maintaining one or two bikes then cheap tools will do the job. I started riding 2 seasons ago. I have 2 bikes for me. One that i just rebuild changing everything including the rear shock mount and paint colour and the other one i have a small list of parts on the way. Just be warned that once you're into this you may not be able to escape. It's also maybe worth noting that i only bought 4 special tools. Spoke wrench, bb socket, crank puller and a cassette socket. I built a wheel truing stand and ground down some wrenches to adjust my cones.
cole.robinson.543

PreviousNext

Return to ChatRoom