Why doesn't the word spread about this forum?

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

Why doesn't the word spread about this forum?

Postby to the beach » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:13 am

Let me start by noting that I like this forum and am happy I found a forum for bigboxbikes, so it is out of genuine regards that I ask "Why aren't there more members?" There must be a million bigboxbike owners out there!
to the beach

Postby squire366 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:02 am

Believe me this forum has grown tremendously. When WDR first started it there were like 5 or 10 of us who migrated over from MTBR. Now Big Box Bikes has a ton of members.

Also.....WDR doesn't advertise or try to monetize the site. If he did then BBB would have thousands of members.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Re: Why doesn't the word spread about this forum?

Postby morando6784 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:50 am

I wish people would stop lerking around and post stuff. Pics, replys, anything. Seems like the same guys posting most time. I get bored at work and come back and see if theres something new and nothing....hours at a time nothing. Need more traffic on here. I like seeing ordinary bike change into awesome bada$$ bikes. Help others get inspired and ideas sparked

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
What ever bike I just picked up is what im riding.............Currently Mongoose Pro G3
morando6784

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:18 pm

We started this site just over 2 years ago for reasons most of us know. Until the last half of January of 2013 I did not try to monetize the site; then I had to cough up the $300 for another 3 years of hosting and thought that perhaps the site could pay for that. I had Adsense on my other site (which had earned a whopping $18 in 3 years) so I just added this one and did what I needed to do to actually get money from Google. This, surprisingly enough, has resulted in the site paying for itself. I also discovered that we get about 750 unique visitors every day!

I had no idea that many people visited BBB.

We get regular visitors from Kenya, Japan, Chile, Russia, and other exotic places. But most people do not bother to register and so do not post comments or ideas. I don't have a problem with this.

About 60% of the 950-odd daily visitors are new; brought to the site via a Google search, mostly. We get 5 or 10 a day who link in from MTBR, and a few more from other website referrers.

What is amazing is that people who visit actually read your posts! The average visitor to BBB reads about 5 pages per visit. I think that's a testament to you guys doing more than just talking about your bicycles. On most sites you have to drill for information. Thanks to you folks the pages here are chock full of interesting stuff; from new shocks to seats to pedals to how to do things. No person new to bikes or returning to bikes has to worry that one of you will post a cheesy cartoon making fun of their questions.

The only disrespect I have ever seen here are from lusers coming from another site (and we all know which one) and posting their lame "let me tell you what you obviously don't know" remarks. I try to take care of those guys quickly.

We now have almost 900 registered users but we get almost 1000 visits a day from about 800 unique visitors (some people visit several times a day). And every month over 17,000 people read about 78,000 pages (pages that YOU guys write) and find it valuable enough that 40% of them come back. It is not unusual to see one person spending an hour just reading - one after another - your posts. The record is 277 pages in one visit!

No one reads 277 pages of insulting cartoons about who is stupid and who is cool. Readers find your posts interesting, entertaining and - most of all - helpful.

I'd rather have that than a million hits from people who leave without a second thought.

We are growing slowly but we are growing. And we're growing because we have something to say that people want to read about. Keep up the good work!!!

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby to the beach » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks, all of your replies are helpful and I appreciate what you do for this site. I have been a member of other types of forums too such as for electronics, automotive and also for motorcycles. I enjoy the technical side and always pride myself in LEARNING, not preaching.
to the beach

Postby Houndog » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:02 pm

You think it's slow around here? Shoulda been here when there were 10 of us.... :lol:
Houndog

Postby to the beach » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Maybe it's quality over quantity here at bbb.
to the beach

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:03 pm

You can always mention us on fb and other sites and link back. :]
WDR
wa_desert_rat

Postby junkyarddog » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:59 pm

I started a FB page but have had a hard time keeping it going with my health issues and other stuff going on....
89 specialized rockhopper- SS BMX hybrid
97 specialized rockhopper-7 speed mild trail bike
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:28 pm

We are growing, folks. But I think that right now people who are our best visitors are concentrating more on riding bikes than upgrading them. I know I'm reluctant to take a bike apart when the weather is nice and I can go ride. I expect lots feel the same as I do. So we get a lower level of visitors... actually I think we're about even this month or maybe just slightly ahead of last month in terms of visitors.

Keep on writing cool things with good ideas and people will keep on coming and reading. :)

Craig
WDR
wa_desert_rat

Next

Return to ChatRoom