Why doesn't the word spread about this forum?

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

Re: Why doesn't the word spread about this forum?

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:14 pm

Exactly. And, again, none of the big box bikes go through the same testing as the higher end brand.

I also get tired of people referring to cars as an analogy. People don't get very specific. Just how they talk about kias vs. Ferraris... A new kia sonata turbo can outrun and Ferrari Dino. My 2010 VW jetta is my newest, and most unreliable car I've ever owned. Before that, my latest model car was a 94 isuzu trooper. Everything else was 89 and older. And my (heavily modded) 86 cressida could walk circles around 350zs,more reliably, and looking like crap... Big misconception... But I digress.

Anyway, I want to see results. That is what we don't see. That's why I say it's all hearsay. I would gladly fund testing, and even donate one of my own frames to get true results. Sonic testing, X-ray for metal fatigue and air bubbles, strength testing at the welds, torsion, sheer, and I forget the other testing (stretch and compression tests). No manufacturer has done these on the big box frames, and posted results to back up claims. So, any in house testing the big box companies do (and they do test, but their standards could be lower.) Won't be known unless they decide to put them out, or someone does independent testing.

So, what I'm saying is, if you don't think your bike is up to the challenge, then don't try it. If you want to give it a go, do it, but do it safely. I'm trying to break my frame under hard riding. I do plan on being as safe as possible (full DH protective gear. Look that stuff up. It's serious). But, that's to show the other guys that I won't crash and burn on the first major jump. Long term testing is key. If my bike can make it one full season, I've succeeded in proving my point. I'm willing to put myself on the line to give results. That's why I'm building my cars, that's why I'm building my bikes (partly), hell, that's even why I joined the navy. People said I couldn't do it. Proved a lot of people wrong so far.

So, I'm not saying, do what I do. I'm crazy. But, I am saying that just assuming things because we don't have all the facts isn't the way to go about choosing to mod our bikes.

For anything more than that fine line between all mountain and free ride, get a proven frame. Less headache and guess work. Anything below that, big box bikes are fine. (With upgrades, mind you. At least a fork, pedals, and Wheelset)
Falkon45

Postby 6sharky9 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:22 pm

wa_desert_rat wrote:
6sharky9 wrote:I just dont want the message here to be that a bbb frame is as good as any other frame made today because that is a false statement...Are they ok for some spirited riding on the easier type trails?..yes they are...Should an experienced "clydesdale" rider who can ride the crap out of a bike buy one instead of a giant or trek or some other top name?...absolutely not.

Nothing wrong with a good used top name brand frame if you have the money to make that your start...Considering what youve spent on components you have the money and parts to build the baddest azz bike on this forum..What are you waiting for?..to be in the ER because you found the limit of a frame deep down you know isnt as good...Poor excuse..lol... and quite frankly will be a hurtful excuse when it eventually happens...I hope it doesnt though.

This forum is read by a lot of new riders and returning riders who have been away from cycling for a long time. I don't want the message here to be like the message they get on so many other MTB forums: that if they want to be a real bike rider they need to buy a top brand bicycle. I know you're addressing Falkon but remember that this is a hobby and everyone approaches it differently. His approach isn't the same as yours (or even mine) but that doesn't mean that it's not the right one for him.

As far as used bicycle parts are concerned, there have been a lot of posts here about craigslist ads featuring rebranded big box bikes posing as name brands at inflated prices. Since manu MTB forums seem to like to guide new riders towards used bikes before they try big box bikes when they have little of the sophistication needed to decide which used bicycle parts are appropriate, I'd like to not get that out there here, either.

I agree that you can buy some great bikes on craigslist. But I would prefer the focus remain on being able to discern a decent, upgradable and affordable big box bike that riders can get a lot of use out of without breaking their budget; along with decent warranties. Heck, I'll be that guy in the video who broke his BBB could probably get a replacement for free; especially if he got an extended warranty when he bought it. :P

I really like having people on this forum who like to upgrade their big box bikes and make them something special for them. You're one of those people and I appreciate having you here. I just think that mixed messages are confusing. No newbie should be riding the Red Bull desert classics on a big box bike. But pushing themselves is not a bad idea, either. Most of us crash and most of us avid the ER; no matter what brand of bike we ride.

I certainly am not against a bbb as stated (as most are on other forums)..Im just trying to make clear that fine line between them and a name brand frame at minimum....Nothing wrong with good shifters and cranks and upgraded fork and wheels on a bbb to make them more reliable..My point is they are only safe withing certain parameters and this is the message im trying to get out.

Ive recommended many of bbb as a starting point and its true some may not need to go past that to enjoy and thats all good with me...if it wasnt i wouldnt be here still after x amount of time...This is the predominant site i frequent for my pleasure with some great people...I just dont want to see people getting hurt thinking its ok to beat on a bbb frame like you can a top brand name frame...Maybe you can and its all just hype (although i doubt it) or maybe its just luck for some but, im not one to take that chance and dont condone it for others to do as well.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:29 am

Anyone on this or any other forum trying to ride a bicycle like they do on red bull rampage even with a gusseted titanium frame better worry about something else breaking way before the frame.There is nothing fun or heroic about being thrown off the side of a mountain at 40MPH and landing it.That is not skill but shear luck.Those crash compilations don't tell you the aftermath of hospitalization and life long agony of a human body for a afternoon of impressing who?This isn't even a big money sport on the professional level.Falkon have you checked the welds on the Blackcomb and seen how much weld material is used and then compare it with those ultra lite ultra expensive frames.Our bike manufactures didn't care so much about weight when welding it and that counts for something I guarantee.Sharky unless you took a sledge hammer to your frame or left it outside and abused it for years like the guy in the pinbike video it most likely wont fail anymore than a cannondale frame.Those other people are buying weight or lack of it and as said before so many times that most of us know our bikes are heavier but just as stable for the most part as theirs is.
Purple Haze

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:49 am

The focus of this forum - and its message - is to find a good big box bike that riders can use to sample new bike styles (27.5-ers, fixies, road bikes, full suspension, 29er, etc.) without spending a lot of money up front as well as discovering what a cyclist really wants from a bicycle before spending a month's wages. Too many craigslist ads say "been in the garage for two years" when they offer up the LBS bike for sale.

If your riding skills get to the point where you need a better quality bicycle then you should also know enough by then to know what bike to buy and be able to pick one out without help. Any rider who posts "what bike should I buy" is clearly not in that position. We want riders to get past that point without spending their lunch money.

Buy a decent big box bike, upgrade it all you like, improve your riding skills, lose weight, get more fit and then if you want a bigger challenge and move to a better bike I don't think anyone here is going to call you out for that. Stick around and post photos; that would be good.

Cyclists risk hospitalization every time we get on a bike. I highly recommend wearing the proper gear and, most especially, a good helmet. Stay hydrated. NEVER TRUST CARS! And my own personal motto which you are welcome to ignore or take to heart: I "Try hard not to be stupid".

Sometimes it works...
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Falkon45 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:07 am

Lol. I like that one.
Falkon45

Postby Camerlotto » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi everyone. I didn't know where to post this so please forgive me if this is not the right place. I just signed up and this is my first post. I was pretty stoked that I found this site. I was searching for dimensions for the rear dropouts on a GMC Denali road bike and stumbled upon this site. I skimmed through a couple of the forums and there is a great wealth of information. I think it's cool that you guys are putting very useful information out there on big box brand bikes. It's a breath of fresh air finding others who are fellow BBB owners, many other site are populated by so many bike snobs. My whole philosophy is that as long as you ride it doesn't matter what kind of bike you have, BBB or a $1000 plus LBS bike. I currently own to bikes, a Giordano Rapido and a Nashbar AT29 MTB. My Rapido is heavily modified and my MTB is fully stock. I recently purchased a used Denali road bike on Craigslist and have completely stripped it down. I really just bought it for the frame. My goal is to transfer all of the components off my Rapido to the Denali frame. As much as I loved the simplicity of a Single Speed I think it's time now to give my legs a rest and start using gears; plus I really just wanted another excuse to build another bike. I used to own a Thruster Fixie that I upgraded but eventually I sold it and bought the Rapido. Anyways the bottom line is that I'm glad to of found this site and I look forward to hopefully contribute so quality material. I will post photos soon of my bikes.

Thanks
Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride.
Camerlotto

Postby braindead0 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:14 pm

As far as the subject at hand, IMO the key is just to keep on plugging, posting good content will direct people via searches (as I found this place).

The more forums there are for a topic the harder it is to get eyeballs and people contributing. It's much easier when on the ground floor and your competition is slim or none. That being said if the other forums are actively hostile to 'big box bike' buyers there's good reason for people to come here.

Getting a forum on it's own feet is a 'labor of love' and requires an active community.
braindead0

Postby orvil » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:16 am

I think the biggest reason there isn't a lot of word out about this forum is the very nature of the people who buy BBB bikes. Let's admit it, most of our bikes aren't purchased by people who are as adamant about mountain biking/cycling as those of us on this forum. The majority of the bikes are never ridden as often, as enthusiastically, nor upgraded like ours and those owners aren't going to spend time conversing with other like-minded owners. So that probably makes us a small minority in the BBB bike world. Now the "other" team are almost all enthusiasts when it comes to their LBS purchased bikes. Riding their bikes is probably their biggest activity and when they can't ride they tend to gravitate to social sites filled with like-minded individuals. Their membership will probably always outnumber ours due to that demographic alone. Its not a knock on this site, simply a comparison of ownership. There are far more enthusiastic LBS brand owners than enthusiastic BBB bike owners. Just remember, its quality, not quantity, that counts. I'm a member of a couple of those other sites and there is far more complaining, bashing and distaste for people that don't drink their Kool-Aid. They go on ad nauseum about squabbles amongst themselves. I've yet to see that here and hopefully never will.
orvil

Postby braindead0 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:14 am

Good points, this site may just be small niche and there are certainly advantages to that. Group thought tends to take over a lot of forums (big and small), hopefully we can avoid that and keep open adult discourse going.
braindead0

Postby mirroredtoolbag » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:57 pm

I'm not so sure the word hasn't spread about this forum. If I want unbiased honest opinions regarding cycling, this is the forum. I refuse to believe there is a higher equity of knowledge on other forums because of the supposed brand of steed they ride. I like my bike and ride it often, I also snowboard, snow ski, cross county ski,waterski, wakeboard, hunt, fish, ride motocross, hare scrables etc. and every one of these activities have their share elitists or posers. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd rather be doing what's being talked about more than talking about it. I imagine many folks here are like minded. I used to frequent Jackson Hole wyoming and so many folks had tales about dropping in a chute called Corbet's Couloir but when you saw them ski you knew it was a fish tale. Many people are aware of this forum but it is just not as sexy to some. I think people who built up their 67 Cutlass' have more personal knowledge about making power than a guy who buys a Lotus and a Viper forum will most likely have more activity than A Honda Fit forum but the Fit crowd will undoubtedly have more seat time. This forum is respected by almost everyone who visits it and it is appreciated for its substance over symbolism posture, thats all that really matters
mirroredtoolbag

PreviousNext

Return to ChatRoom