Why doesn't the word spread about this forum?

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

Re: Why doesn't the word spread about this forum?

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:02 pm

I am hooked on this sport and ride whenever I can and truly admire all the people on this forum like falkon,morando,mongoosejake and drabusblue.What they have done is made me realize that these bikes that we have purchased for not a kings ransom can and do perform as advertised.The people who say they cannot are out of their minds and I am living breathing proof they can.Since moving to Bern,Switzerland from the D.C metro area I never thought that I would be able to truly test the limits of my Blackcomb and had doubts about weight and components but I will never second guess this bike or any other big box bike again.I have been maintaining my health and rip trails just like everyone else here except the super extremist dudes that are literally risking life and limb.With the few upgrades I put on the bike I can be even more certain that catastrophic failure wont happen.When I went to Walmart and purchased the Blackcomb I was expecting to buy a mountainbike and that is exactly what I got.Now that I am in the mountains I really appreciate my purchase and would do it over and over again and have no regrets because with a few upgrades I still have a bike that will absolutely perform and serve every need I have.Everyone nowadays just want to be noticed for their expenditures and that is why people dont come here but its their loss and their money if they do not realize fun,health and performance can be had at a fraction of the cost than what other bike forums are telling people.Big box bikes are the majority of the bikes sold out there and it is truly a shame that people cannot further explore what their bikes limits truly are.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:26 pm

I forgot to mention all the other people who have contributed spot on advice and great insight over the years make who make this forum as great as it is. :D
Purple Haze

Postby to the beach » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:14 pm

+1 :)
to the beach

Postby moron88 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:49 am

one of my other hobbies is hobby grade RC cars (not the kind you find at the box stores, there is a clear difference in RC. hobby grade RC's can easily be repaired by the owner had have full suspension, the toy grades at walmart cant and usually dont) and back in 2008 rcuniverse.com was probably the largest forum (definitely in the top 5). in 2010 3 things occurred that had left it with literally 1/10 of the members. the first was server issues. proprietary forum software and a server that couldnt handle 1000+ page threads (25 posts/page) (the largest was 'the lounge 2' at 1305 pages before getting closed and having a 3rd version opened, which exceeded 1000 pages and was closed less than 3 years later) lead to widespread patchwork for nearly 3 years. the second was ownership transfer. when i joined, it was owned by the founder but the site was sold to a large company that owns many other forums. this sale led to issues with both the server system as well as the mods.

the 3rd was what really pushed people over the edge, fanboys. trolls are annoying, fanboys are rage enducing. people that buy the name, and insist it's the best thing ever. sounds like somethign similar happens on the other mtb forums, but in rc there really was only 1 company that had the brainwashed fanboys. cant tell you how many of them said "[company name] trucks are the most durable and fastest on the market! all you need is RPM arms, bumpers, shock towers, hubs, bulk head and chassis braces!". in case you're wondering, RPM is an aftermarket company that makes rubberized plastic parts, and that list contains most of the plastic pieces on an rc. literally all the plastic that's left stock is the chassis and the trans case.

moral of the story, big forums are doomed, small is better.
moron88

Postby junkyarddog » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:49 am

I used to do rc cars as well... started back around 1990 with the original RC10... had alot of different ones over the years...jrx2,optima mid, blackfoot, clodbuster,traxxas rustler, etc etc.... last one I had was an RC10T2... it can be an expensive hobby... in the end I got bored with it and got tired of not being able to find parts after they come out with a new model... ended up trading all my RC stuff for a haro mountain bike
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby to the beach » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:37 am

Tamiya...lol...grasshopper, frog, hornet
to the beach

Postby moron88 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:46 pm

i really like tamiya. only company that sells more kits than ready-to-run's. they're also the only company that is willing to be weird with designs (the hotshot and avante were weird even by the 80's standards, especially cosidering they were supposed to be race buggies). i have owned 2 gold pan rc10s. fun buggies but that confounded 6 gear trans with external ball diff was a PITA.
moron88

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:48 am

For obvious reasons, I watch this site pretty carefully and even though it doesn't look like it, bigboxbikes.com is in the top 5% of web sites worldwide when it comes to visitors and even higher when it comes to visitors who spend time reading the posts. It is not at all uncommon to see people spending an hour of their time reading what you guys write about bicycling.

With summer riding season on us (at least in the northern hemisphere) we are now getting 700-800 visitors a day. In the past 24 hours we have had visitors from Russia, the UK, Australia, Brazil, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Canada and more.

Reading your posts and absorbing your ideas.

Nice work. :)
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:00 am

Hate to be the first one to say I told you so but that other forum has a thread going on about the obvious rip off going on with name brand bikes.Not one of them mentioned Big Box Bikes as a alternative or getting their frames from the source on Aliexpress.The cost of new name brand bikes is going to send a lot of new people here after they realize fun and performance can be had at a fraction of the cost.
Purple Haze

Postby 6sharky9 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:05 pm

This site has its place but, dont mistake apples and oranges as being the same because both are round.

Ive always thought top name brand bikes have been overpriced and still do....They rape you on even the entry level parts they put on them and count on the popularity of the name brand to sell it for a profit...The parts must be of quality if x brand uses it..yea right .

The only true important piece here or should i say backbone of a bike is the frame....The rest is what it is but, with a a quality frame the sky is the limit for a quality build.

One example ill use, some may not like but, its a reality some choose not to see.
1.) We choose our 200 dollar bbb model and end up replacing everything on it having spent 500 600 700 even over 1000 dollars in upgrades..So, what some fail to see here is we just paid 200 dollars for a $50.00 frame and using this as a backbone to build what we think is just as good as any top name brand bike...Now, in some cases it can be just as good or reliable but only to a certain degree of use and abuse...I still have to disagree that a 50 dollar frame is as good as a 300 or 400 or 1000 dollar frame that has had years of development and engineering put into them for the soul purpose of supplying the best riders on the trails.

In my personal opinion alot of bikes on here are way over built for there intended usage and riders skill level.

I like this site as its friendly and people are willing to learn and accept advise and than as they learn, pass it on to the next but lets not keep a mentality of a bbb bike is as good as the top name brands because im sorry to say they arent (frame wise) if you take them to thier fullest potentials.

For nice easy trials and a little spirited skill level ,a bbb can be a fun bike and a reliable one with proper upgrades and one not need to spend a ton of money on it...For a more skilled rider that takes things serious and know how to push a bike to its limits ,wouldnt even give thought to using a bbb frame and for good reason.

The frame is the most important thing and always has been.

Wasnt meant to offend anyone but, reality is reality...if youre offended ,you just dont get it yet is all.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

PreviousNext

Return to ChatRoom