Chronicles of a strange illusive Stalling issue

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

Chronicles of a strange illusive Stalling issue

Postby yehkery » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:50 am

Before I begin this story I have to give a little background on the history of this car: The car in question is a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 bought new about 18 years 1 month 10 days to date off the dealer lot. So basically I grew up in this car progressing from a car seat in the back to now the drivers seat. :lol: It has been for the most part as a 90's era chrysler product not too bad. Yeah interior quality was not a strong point ( eg peeling door panels sagging roof fabric), but mechanically speaking it hasn't been too bad, the only issues it had was it had a bad radiator from the factory ( so it had overheating issues), but that was easily fixed, and an odd hop; which was fixed by alignment ( the factory had set that wrong too).

Then fast forward to Sept 23 2014, as I was driving down the freeway, the car suddenly gave a buck and started losing power and I had to coast across 6 lanes and managed to pull over. Only problem was the car wouldn't start. Had it towed to a shop it turned out the crankshaft position sensor had shorted out ( with out it the car's fuel pump wont work= no start ) which also fried out by PCM :evil:
After a few weeks I got the car and it worked fine for a few days then suddenly strange strange things started happening...

Starting this car can will take many minutes because it would hold an idle, and the Jeep would stall out whenever I was stopping turning, and driving on bumpy streets. The oddest thing about this issue is the REVS would drop when ever I started coming to a stop ( almost hitting zero ) sometimes it would manage to take hold of it self, and other times it would just die, This became so much of a problem I would throw it into neutral when ever I was coming to a stoplight ... almost like driving a stick only without the clutch, seems that wouldn't make the revs drop as low when coming to a stop. So far I replaced the fuel filter but to avail; still having problems. There are so many things that are happening that I cant figure out where to start from... its driving me crazy!! On other hand this makes a great security system ( the thief wont go that far...)
This problem is driving me crazy, and I cant figure out what has processed the Jeep, anybody know what would be causing it ?
My brother is my best friend even in 50 years .
Know your parents well, you never know when they'll be gone
Genesis v2100 inspired by wicked
yehkery

Re: Chronicles of a strange illusive Stalling issue

Postby Falkon45 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:18 am

Almost seems like a bad throttle position sensor, or idle air control valve. These would be a good place to start. If you want to try something else before that, do a full tune up (ie, plugs, wires, cap, rotor{may not have cap and rotor, because you have a crank position sensor}). . If you are coil on plug or coil pack, one of the coils could be dying.
Falkon45

Postby Tomcat65 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:32 am

Having had a couple of these Jeeps, from my limited experience anyways, my last Cherokee had an issue with the transmission/torque converter. On deceleration, the transmission would not "let go" and it was Exactly like stopping a manual without touching the clutch. There were so many engine/transmission/transfer case options in those Jeep products when Chrysler took over, that there's no way for me to know which one you have, but you might look into it. Anyway, a locking converter, a missing sensor, solenoid or bad wire, or a failing clutch or band inside the transmission could make the engine seem to be at fault..

Mine, I had to replace the torque converter and the thing was still prone to occasional failure at a full stop. I assumed the wiring being old didn't help things. The best advice I got was to swap in a manual :P NOT... I sold it instead :D
Tomcat65

Postby desertguns » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:47 am

First, is the Check Engine or any other warning light on? If so any OBDII diag/monitor can tell you where to look. What engine do you have? If not, then you're really screwed! :P My '97 Dodge 318ci did the same thing three times in 12 years - similar setup if you have a V8. Once it was a vacuum leak, the other was the PCM & the last was a misc electrical problem that took a mech 3 hrs to figure out. If you take it to a mechanic & there is no warning light on, make sure he's older - like 40+. Most young guys don't know what to do if the analyzer doesn't give them a code. And, if its a auto trans with more than 100K miles on it, you've been lucky, but it's not long for this world.

Your truck is also very old. It needs just about every sensor & vacuum hose replaced & the problems will become more frequent & costly vs doing PM up front. I did this over two years on my '96 F-250 4X4 7.3 ltr diesel (right down to the engine compartment wiring harness) & have no regrets.
desertguns

Postby 6sharky9 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:14 pm

Go to the local autoparts store and spend the 30 bucks for an OBD diagnostic tool...will save you a ton of cash taking it to a dealer or shop to know whats wrong with your vehicle,providing its not a mechanical issue (meaning not electronic related in any way shape or form (ie blown head gasket,bad timing belt/chain etc...)..im with falkon on checking the IAC or idle air control solenoid and the TPS or throttle position sensor...both can and will cause irratic or low idle conditions....You can test each by unplugging them( one at a time then plugging back in) and seeing if there is a change or not...also a vacume leak is a common problem as well....take some starting fluid (ether) and start spraying around vacume lines...if you hear the idle jump up then you know you have a leak in that vicinity....good luck finding the problem.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby yehkery » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Sorry for the long wait...
so here are some updates: So the check engine light goes on intermittently, sometimes it on and again sometimes it doesn't go on. (The check engine light first came on almost 5 years ago, and we checked it came out to nothing, no go, no problem , and their wasn't any difference in car behavior and mpg so it was ignored :roll: ) Weird thing is the stall happens anytime, whether the check engine light is on or not. Anyhow since I didn't have an OBDII reader at hand I did the chrysler key trick ( 5x to on position in rapid sequence ) and I pulled out: 12, 14, 43, 43,and 55.

Now recently I did (on suggestion of my mechanic) change out the crankshaft position sensor , and that is a no go ... still stalls took it for a test drive and sure enough on a test drive: suddenly revs started dropping 700x 500x 200x 0 [STALL] :evil:

So far fuel filter changed ($14) [x} crankshaft position sensor changed ($50) {x}

remember the beginning of the story of how the ZJ died suddenly on a normal drive , the PCM got fried and that was changed , starting to suspect maybe the new PCM is at fault ( at least there is a lifetime warranty :D )

If that doesn't fix it... I guess its off to the next repair... hopefully to start with the easy and cheapest repairs first than moving in to the bigger and complicated and expensive ones ...
crazy how this thing was once bought brand new by my family 18 years ago

So far fuel filter changed ($14) [x} crankshaft position sensor changed ($50) {x}
total spent $64
potential fixes I gathered so far ...
PCM
Throttle position Sensor
Map sensor
Idle Air control Valve
Torque converter
Fuel pump
Vacuum Line(s) leak

Now to track this elusive ghost ....
My brother is my best friend even in 50 years .
Know your parents well, you never know when they'll be gone
Genesis v2100 inspired by wicked
yehkery

Postby desertguns » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:15 am

Have you tried an exorcist? :evil: It just sucks that mechanics really can't troubleshoot anymore without a PCM code telling them specifically what's wrong. Another lost craft...
desertguns

Postby rpromero » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:51 am

STOP BUYING CHRYSLER PRODUCTS!! problem solved. :D its something electrical. On Chryslers it always is. All of these problems started (it seems) when they changed your ECU. Start there.
rpromero

Postby TylerSteez » Wed May 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Could be tps or iac sensor or vacuum leak. Another thing I would look into highly is your egr system. Sounds like it could be hanging open or shut due to carbon build up causing the idle to go nuts. Locate the egr and gently press up on the diaphragm, if it has a lot of resistance or is sticking then it's a good indication it's time to replace it. The egr could also have a temp sensor and egr solenoid that can be really problematic and cause the issues you're describing
TylerSteez

Postby to the beach » Thu May 07, 2015 10:35 am

How about a late model hemi or LS swap along with a NV4500 and an NP205....sorry too much Powerblock TV...lol.
to the beach

Next

Return to ChatRoom