Genesis Tech, or Genesis G500 ?

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

Genesis Tech, or Genesis G500 ?

Postby Azusa » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:27 pm

The problem I'm encountering in my research for a BBB, is lack of detailed specifications of each of the machines.
There isn't enough info on these bikes to really be able to make an educated decision to purchase the right bike.
The ($150) Genesis Tech looks great on the WM sight and the ($325) G500 looks even better. I also like the 24 speed of the G500
versus the 21 speed Tech. there is also no mention of net weight. Only the shipping weight is listed.
The local WM store doesn't stock either of these bikes, and sight unseen, its hard to compare the two bikes physically.
Anyone know where I can get more info, or better yet, where I can get my hands on these bikes ?

I currently own a (recent model) Treck hardtail mountain bike, a Schwinn 10 speed (70's vintage) road bike, and a Peugeot 12 speed road bike. I would like to get a road bike with better climbing capability like that of my 24 speed Treck with Megalow gear. This bike is a climber.

I contemplated changing the rear 6 speed gear set (cassette) of the Peugeot to a 7 speed Treck cassette with Megalow I have around. This would increase the Peugeot to 14 speed including the Megalow. If this change is possible, it could give me the much needed climbing capability I need, and save me lots of $$$.
Azusa

Re: Genesis Tech, or Genesis G500 ?

Postby to the beach » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:40 pm

I don't know the difference in these Genesis bikes, I can only say you get a little more knowledge from customer reviews so always read them if available.

As for your Peugot, If it has a 6 speed, it's very likely not a cassette. It probably is a freewheel. Cassettes don't incorporate freewheeling action, they are just a group of sprockets attached together and they slide onto a free hub body that freewheels. A freewheel is a set of gears and the mechanism that allows the gears to spin backwards freely. The freewheel system is most common on older bikes and nearly all big box bikes from Walmart. So, if you have an old 6 speed freewheel on your Peugot's rear wheel and want better hill climbing, your best fit will be a 6 speed mega freewheel from Shimano. This will allow you to keep your shifters the same, unless your shifters aren't specific to a number of gears(the shifters that "click" into gears are specific to a number of gears and if the shifter doesn't click from gear to gear it's a friction shifter) and are basic friction shifters. Then upgrading to a 7 speed freewheel is no problem and won't require a new shifter to match the addition of a gear. To change a freewheel, you need to remove the wheel, then use a freewheel removal socket to remove the freewheel, The replacement freewheel just threads on and it self tightens as you pedal. In your case, I'm going to guess you have friction shifters on your Peugot. So, in this case you could bring the Peagot's rear wheel and the 7 speed freewheel to your local bike shop and have them swap the freewheels with their tools for around $10, if hopefully they are reasonable. Then you could pop the wheel back on at home and you'll have a 14 speed road bike with mega range gearing. That extra gear means your chain will be very close to the frame when it's on the smallest cog and could possibly rub, there's no sight unseen guarantee from here and that is why I said earlier that a 6 speed mega freewheel is the ideal part.

Good luck! :)
to the beach

Postby Ruckis » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:50 am

Welcome to the forum! The G500 is a much better bike. Its better equipped for road biking, while the Tech is actually more of a drop bar hybrid. I know this because I own the predecessor of the Tech, the GS700. Nice bike, but the gear ratios are kinda crummy for road riding. There aren't enough teeth on the front cogs, because it runs amountain bike drivetrain. The G500 is a roadie with real shimano 2300 road gear, plus 24 speed bikes are usually cassettes, which means its a bit easier to upgrade in the future. The price difference is worth it. Also check out bikes direct too since you'll be buying sight unseen anyway.

Hope this helps!
Ruckis

Postby Azusa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:54 pm

to the beach wrote:I don't know the difference in these Genesis bikes, I can only say you get a little more knowledge from customer reviews so always read them if available.

As for your Peugot, If it has a 6 speed, it's very likely not a cassette. It probably is a freewheel. Cassettes don't incorporate freewheeling action, they are just a group of sprockets attached together and they slide onto a free hub body that freewheels. A freewheel is a set of gears and the mechanism that allows the gears to spin backwards freely. The freewheel system is most common on older bikes and nearly all big box bikes from Walmart. So, if you have an old 6 speed freewheel on your Peugot's rear wheel and want better hill climbing, your best fit will be a 6 speed mega freewheel from Shimano. This will allow you to keep your shifters the same, unless your shifters aren't specific to a number of gears(the shifters that "click" into gears are specific to a number of gears and if the shifter doesn't click from gear to gear it's a friction shifter) and are basic friction shifters. Then upgrading to a 7 speed freewheel is no problem and won't require a new shifter to match the addition of a gear. To change a freewheel, you need to remove the wheel, then use a freewheel removal socket to remove the freewheel, The replacement freewheel just threads on and it self tightens as you pedal. In your case, I'm going to guess you have friction shifters on your Peugot. So, in this case you could bring the Peagot's rear wheel and the 7 speed freewheel to your local bike shop and have them swap the freewheels with their tools for around $10, if hopefully they are reasonable. Then you could pop the wheel back on at home and you'll have a 14 speed road bike with mega range gearing. That extra gear means your chain will be very close to the frame when it's on the smallest cog and could possibly rub, there's no sight unseen guarantee from here and that is why I said earlier that a 6 speed mega freewheel is the ideal part.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for your informative reply, TTB, and clarifying the difference between a freewheel and a cassette. I have have been a biker since I was a kid, and since I was about 8 or 9 y.o. I did it all repairs myself. However I still have a lot to learn. Thats what brought me to this website. Hope I can learn from you. I will look into the 6 speed shimano mega freewheel you suggested, and taking a look to see if the trek 7 mega speed freewheel will fit the 27 inch roadbike hub. If that is possible, I may forego the purchase of the Genesis bike.
Problem is that often the price of components is so high that its more cost effective to buy a new bike.
Case and point; I wanted to replace the brake levers on the Peugeot with combination brake lever/shifters. However, a t $150 each lever, thats $300 I could spend on a new bike that already comes with that feature, and the 24 speeds Im looking for.
Azusa

Postby to the beach » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:17 pm

The shifter/brake combo's are fairly new tech so I can see why they demand more money, they don't turn up used very often.
to the beach

Postby Azusa » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi TTB, I checked on line for shimano 6 speed megadrive freewheel and to my surprise I found them to be reasonably priced starting at about $12 for a 14-34 group freewheel. Now, that's a price I can live with. now if I could install a third cog gear of about 34 or 36 on the crank set, it would be just perfect. However that may be a stretch. The road bike frame may not accommodate such a an addition.
I will just have to settle with just replacing the megadrive and be happy.
Azusa

Return to ChatRoom