California National Guard vs Army Reserve

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

California National Guard vs Army Reserve

Postby yehkery » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:08 am

So I am on the rails between choosing to join the California National Guard or the Army Reserves.
A little background: I am just starting college this fall, and I also want to serve our country at the same time. I understand they both are " the one weekend a month and two weeks a year". But then again I also understand that the NG is a state controlled mission vs the Reserve which is a federally controlled mission.
It really boils down to this what is more suited for a full time college student? Who gives more money for college in California?
And which is more interesting?
My brother is my best friend even in 50 years .
Know your parents well, you never know when they'll be gone
Genesis v2100 inspired by wicked
yehkery

Re: California National Guard vs Army Reserve

Postby to the beach » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:35 am

Congrats on your decision. IDK about current pay scales. The Army Reserve is more suitable if you later decided to pursue a military career full time. It is possible to do the same from the National Guard as well but you may have a lot time invested in training that doesn't apply. National Guard can be called out by the state Governor. So if there is a disaster, riot, gang shootout etc., the Guard could respond. The Army Reserves is there to immediately increase numbers of active duty troops to respond to world problems. Hope this helps, if you know of particular skills you would like to develop or schooling that could apply to civillian work, certain armed forces are better than others.
to the beach

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:45 am

I'm an ex sailor, so I'd say Navy reserve! Lol. But really, the National Guard would probably be better if you wanted the lowest chance of deploying while in school. Air national guard is also an option, if nearby. Army and navy reserves can and will deploy personnel, but usually send the prior active duty personnel first.
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:46 am

You'll also have to go to basic training for any of them, so remember you'll have to set aside 9-12 weeks for that.
Falkon45

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:43 pm

Before you do anything that could possibly put you in harms way see if the fed is going through with their debt forgiveness program.If they do as I understand it, you only have to do community service and keep your grades up to receive a four year education at a state school.The vote is coming soon if you can wait that long.If you want to serve the country in the military I suggest navy all the way.The tech training can be applied more readily to civi life and therefore better paying jobs.Military careers are extremely hard on families and tend to be rather depressing moving all the time,unless that is what you want.There is no disrespect to anyone else on this forum but these decisions should not be taken lightly as you will likely be changed forever and recent events don't bode well for military service.
Purple Haze

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:51 pm

Purple Haze, don't know if you saw, but he's in school, and wants to serve. I'm guessing he's 18-21 age range (If I missed your introduction Yehkery, I'm sorry). This isn't so much a way to pay for school, because the GI bill requires 4 years of service, and $1200 before you can reap the benefits of it. Reserves and National Guard don't move you around. You get to stay home, and don't have to be all over the place all the time. I actually ended up spending most of my 9 years In Norfolk, VA, with a 4 month stint in Great Lakes outside the 6 months I spent in Great Lakes for basic training and Gas Turbine "A" School. That was active duty. After your first assignment, you pretty much get to pick where you want to go, as long as orders are available, and you're not at the needs of the service. Reserves sends you back home, and gives you orders to the nearest base that works with said service. You aren't required to constantly change duty stations.

Navy isn't exactly going to put you at the top of the technical training applied to the real world. That all depends on your rate ( MOS or job). I was a GSM, which is a Gas Turbine systems Mechanic. My job spans from power generation, to oil and gas, to shipping. I just happened to pick out a job that I liked doing, and it applied to a lot of fields. Now, if you have someone like an OS or a CTA (I think they changed that to something else, now), and you're stuck at an airport, or looking for another job.

So, if you do decide to join any service, don't just pick something that's manual labor (Navy: Boatswains Mate or BM, Army/National Guard: Infantry). Go through the list with the recruiter. A good recruiter will ask you about your interest, hobbies, and what would you like to do for a career. They can pick something close, if it's not exactly what you wanted. Just make sure you go in, well informed, and don't rush to any conclusions. Talk it over with your recruiter. And don't just settle on one service. Talk to each of them to help make your decision.
Falkon45

Postby desertguns » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:30 pm

US Air Force Reserve - Because it worked for me back in the day. Retire as a Col in 20, hi tech insider, & CEO on the side. IMHO. 8-)
desertguns

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 pm

Point well taken falkon and desert. :D
Purple Haze

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:46 am

I served in the Navy Reserve as a radioman which, back in the day, was a decent job on ship. Since I had been a ham radio operator from age 13 I enlisted as an E3 and was promoted to E4 as soon as I finished boot camp (which was 2 weeks in San Diego back in the day). So I was E4 at age 17. LOL

Anyway, after my active duty I enlisted in the WA state Air National Guard for a special 1-year enlistment that put me back at E4. And it was a lot of fun. In fact, I'd like to do it again! Lots of airplane rides (C-119s back then... 19,000 rivets flying in a very loose formation), two weeks at Yakima working on radios and stuff (I was a decent tech, too).

Went back to school and became an engineer.

Hmm... do you suppose the Air Guard would take me back at age 72? :P

Good luck in whatever you choose.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby to the beach » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:40 am

They'll take you back WDR,...lol :D Seeing their current policies, the next time our military grows ten times in size, you'll get a call.

And to OP, you need to have taken the military ASVAB test, it could be compared to the SATs for college. When it comes to training, if you excel at the skills required for what you want to do, you'll have a better chance at doing it.
to the beach

Next

Return to ChatRoom