Windows 10 rocks.

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

Windows 10 rocks.

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:58 pm

Installed windows 10 yesterday and its fast and so far better than 8.1.
Purple Haze

Re: Windows 10 rocks.

Postby scaldwellk » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:19 pm

I hate windows, sorry.
I use Ubuntu and love it. Like Ubuntu says, Why use a Window when You can use the Door.
I just have to many issues with windows.
scaldwellk

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:41 pm

I want to say I love the concept of Linux but gave in years ago because it complicated my daily life and made computing more of a chore than anything else with conflict resolution.Maybe more development time has proven fruitful but honestly I just don't have the patience I had when I was younger.I totally agree in the stance against what Microsoft means for a free internet but I am not willing to go down that road until they pave the potholes.
Purple Haze

Postby scaldwellk » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:38 pm

Ubuntu has come along way it even has windows emulator now. There is also an os for phones now.
scaldwellk

Postby scaldwellk » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:18 am

Found this and really don't know what to think about the write up.

Americans are still waiting for a resolution to the controversy that erupted when it was discovered that the National Security Agency was spying on everyone’s telephones – lawsuits still are pending and Congress is working on making changes to the law.
Now they’re learning that while the NSA was collecting telephone data, the newest version of the ubiquitous Windows software, version 10, is watching everything that’s on their computer.
“From the moment an account is created, Microsoft begins watching. The company saves customers’ basic information – name, contact details, passwords, demographic data and credit card specifics,” explains a new report from the online Newsweek.
“But it also digs a bit deeper,” the report says.
“Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of private communications such as email; websites and apps visited (including features accessed and length of time used); and contents of private folders,” the warning explains.
“Furthermore, ‘your typed and handwritten words’ are collected.’”
All of the warnings come from the company’s software privacy statement, which includes the statement that Microsoft collects information “to provide you a personalized user dictionary, help you type and write on your device with better character recognition, and provide you with text suggestions as you type or write.”
Alec Meer at the RockPaperShotgun blog warned it’s not something that should be ignored.

Read more at http://www.trunews.com/windows-10-spies ... VTwkVS1.99
scaldwellk

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:21 pm

The NSA was never "spying on everyone's telephones".

What they were doing was collecting information on what numbers cell phones called.

They did this to foil terrorists using automatic call forwarding.

Here's what they were up against. Someone finds a cell phone used by a terrorist cell somewhere and on it is a number in the USA that is frequently called. But that number is set to simply forward any call to *another* number which is the actual number of the sleeper cell in the USA waiting for instructions.

By collecting "meta data" and keeping it the NSA can then get a court order to search through that meta-data for the numbers that the number they know about has called and then figure out what number(s) the sleeper cells use.

This is not spying on everyone's telephone. NSA has never done that. The various bits of media in the USA have simply blown this way out of proportion and it's one reason why Congress has been reluctant to remove that ability from the NSA.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby BoomerBrian » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:15 am

From what I have read and seen on documentaries is they were recording international calls only. Problem was they don't really have the man power or technology to crunch all of the calls and get meaningful information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Postby scaldwellk » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:10 am

Good info about the phones, but is Windows 10 an issue and if it is can things be turned off in Windows?
scaldwellk

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:26 am

scaldwellk wrote:Good info about the phones, but is Windows 10 an issue and if it is can things be turned off in Windows?

The problem for me with any MS operating system is the "backwards compatibility" issue. Since MS has decided to make that a priority it creates security problems that can only be addressed by draconian methods. Right now, with Internet Explorer on MS Server 2012, you have to explicitly allow a site - and any URLs the site tries to open - one at a time to get any data from the site. This allows MS to say that, "well, we tried to protect you" but simply underscores the insecurities of iexplore.exe. If it's too insecure to actually go to any web sites (and, trust me, it really is) then why put it on a server in the first place.

MS has now adopted a new browser, Edge, which has its own issues. We don't know much about its security yet but it's likely that it doesn't have the "hooks" into the registry that IE had. But if a computer operating system can run old applications then it can also run old malware. And anti-virus software has a huge problem; it can only block what it already knows about. If your anti-virus doesn't have a "signature" of malware in its database (which you - hopefully - update frequently) then it doesn't know (and can't find) malware that can create an issue for you.

And since Windows automatically executes (e.g.: runs) applications with certain suffixes (.exe, .com, .bat, .jar., some .pdf, etc.) and because it also HIDES those suffixes (so that my_naked_sister.jpg.exe can be an executable exploit) you can be fooled into clicking on them in emails.

Moving to Linux solves a lot of those issues.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Return to ChatRoom