The new Walmart Worldbeater Bike...

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

Re: The new Walmart Worldbeater Bike...

Postby Falkon45 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:42 pm

It's possibly the replacement of the roadmaster mt. Fury. The worst indestructible there ever was. Nobody liked it, but they were everywhere. It was a "world beater" as it was the daily beater. It cost more to fix than buy a new one, so you just bought a new one instead.

I think that's what they mean by world beater. Lol.
Falkon45

Postby steady eddie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:42 am

Falkon45 wrote:It's possibly the replacement of the roadmaster mt. Fury. The worst indestructible there ever was. Nobody liked it, but they were everywhere. It was a "world beater" as it was the daily beater. It cost more to fix than buy a new one, so you just bought a new one instead.

I think that's what they mean by world beater. Lol.

Ah yes, the good ol' Mt. Fury..it did more to ruin the BBB's reputation than any other, save for the Next full-squish bikes, LOL...

But then again, they were $88 bikes, too. I need to re-visit the Mt. Fury, I guess.. :roll: ..

The Surly LHT is a classic, steel-framed bike, made to last damn near forever. Folks that are lucky enough to ride one, rave about its' smooth ride due to the flexibility of its' frame set. The bike frame is made from Cro-moly Tubing, which makes it one of the strongest steel frames ever..simply put, for $100, you'll not find any hand-welded Cro-moly frames at any Walmart..period.

What you will find is a Mild Steel Framed bike, like the one we are talking about here. Nothing much wrong with that as it is now the only game in town.

Now then what else do you see?? I see tapered rear chain and seat stays along with a beautiful front fork, tapered down to the max..what does that accomplish for the overall ride??

Flexibility.

I must point to a video I saw on U-Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woBlVJ6xxd4

My apologies for the dumb-assed music....but if you listen real close,the guy doing this review states that this bike is LONG, much longer than any other bike, more of a Euro-spec bike..BINGO!! this is how Pacific makes a smooth rider,
from a mild steel frame tubing spec..the guy doing the vid just doesn't realize what he just said...he will know now..lol..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby steady eddie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:09 pm

http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/sp ... teel_frame

^^From Surly Bikes.com..tells all about steel frames and why they are so cool..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby steady eddie » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:47 am

Here is a .jpg of the $300 version of this bike...please note the front fork drop-outs.

They are made from heavy-wall tube, cut off at the ends in a jig, then welded up, a process
where they then weld on the drop-outs, the result is a front fork that fits a wide variety of finished bikes regardless of the wheel size used.

This is how Pacific can/will *cheapen* this $100 Worldbeater Bike. It is how it goes some times with the BBBs..they start out good and then the bean-counters get involved.
Remember how the DelRio got cheapened??

They wound up with those el-Cheapo side-pull brakes, for the same out-the-door price!!

Well, this is the same deal here. This $100 bike already has the much more desirable Alloy V-brakes, all that they really need is a set of gray Kool-Stop Pads..you get smooth stops with no noise..a no-brainer mod..
Attachments
walmart bike.JPG
walmart bike.JPG (236.14 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Walmartt 700c.jpg
Walmartt 700c.jpg (32.47 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Last edited by steady eddie on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

Postby Tomcat65 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:26 am

I've seen 2 of these bikes in Owensboro KY over the last month or so. The guys riding them were not taking it super easy, Looked like commuters, one in a blue mechanic's uniform (he was mashing and just flying) and the other was an older Clyde with Pannier baskets out back. While sitting at a stop light, I dropped my window and asked how the bike was holding up, The older Clyde said it was doing great for a $100.00 bike. He also said that his son was a BMX'er as a kid, so he's had the son do all of the maintenance. At $100.00, you could buy a new one every year. Christmas gift cards, employer bonus checks or side jobs like yard work, would pay for one Fast.
Tomcat65

Postby steady eddie » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:20 am

First off:
Happy Birthday!!
I will turn the Big 70, next B-day....and I once broke my left arm, by rolling over my
sandrail at Pismo Beach, California...I tried to catch the rig as it rolled,and it rolled over my outstretched arm, ouch!! I remember *hearing* my bones breaking..a sound NOT cool
at all. And, I don't want to hear it ever again. The Dr. said he needed to put a Stainless Steel "splint"over the worst bone to stabilize the break..and today I can accurately predict
the weather changes, because it hurts...

Anyhow, you spoke of having little small shakes now..be careful here. This is how I first noticed my Parkinson's Disease (PD)..later on, I began falling. Doing face plants is NOT cool.
But, they do have a treatment (pills) to help you walk again. My hands never did shake, nor did I ever writhe around like Micheal J. Fox..fortunately, you never forget how to ride a bike..
Last edited by steady eddie on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:39 am

Thank you Steady E.
Imagine.. at one time, we couldn't wait to grow up :P
Tomcat65

Postby steady eddie » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:36 am

Tomcat65 wrote:Thank you Steady E.
Imagine.. at one time, we couldn't wait to grow up :P

Tomcat--

Here is a link to a video that you must see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaY3gz5tJSk

I think it's an amazing video.. :shock:

S.E.
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Brother, I've seen that video many times. It's amazing how settled he was after the ride, He hopped off and landed steady :D
Tomcat65

Postby steady eddie » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:45 pm

Well, so much for the PD..I have often thought about my overwhelming desire to get back on a bike, and what would happen to me if I ever got on one and crashed it..??

My answer came back when I found out that my wife's sister's husband's father had just crashed a rented mt. bike on the Big Island in Hawaii. He came flying around a corner,
and got swept off the bike by a low hanging tree branch. In the resulting get-off, he managed to break his collarbone. ouch!! WDR has said (in another post) that collarbone breakage is the the most common bone broken by cyclists...he was smart enough to have pre-run the route, but not smart enough to test his damned cell phone, which he found had no signal..after he crashed..anyway, now have my own cell phone, called a Trac-phone, a throw-away, one that I bought at WM. Makes me feel better about doing things outside while my wife is at work. lol..
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

PreviousNext

Return to ChatRoom