Upgrading a Schwinn Firewire 5.0

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Upgrading a Schwinn Firewire 5.0

Postby Snowdoggy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum, but after reading many posts, I figured this was the best place for me to get some help.

Recently my son-in-law started going riding with me and my son. He got a fantastic deal on a Schwinn Firewire 5.0 Dual Suspension bike at Target for $199. Now that we have been riding for quite awhile now, he was asking questions about upgrading it. I am not very familiar with BBB's, so I came here to try and find answers/help. The 2 things I noticed the most listening to his comments, are the front and rear shocks (mostly the rear). So that is where I want to focus helping him upgrade.

I cna handle the front fork upgrades easy enough, but the rear is giving me fits. I can't find any useful information on the rear shock, and trying to size a decent replacement is driving me crazy. Any helpful advice or pointers would be a blessing. Mostly I am looking for shock measurements and possible upgrade paths if anybody has done them already.

Thanks
My rides:
2011 Specialized Camber
2006 Trek 5200
My Sons' Rides:
2012 Jamis X2
Schwinn Firewire 5.0 (stock)
Snowdoggy

Re: Upgrading a Schwinn Firewire 5.0

Postby bones72751 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 pm

Looks like a 6.5" eye 2 eye shock, which is pretty standard for entry level FS bikes. Look into a fix float or RockShox bar air shocks. They can usually be found at very reasonable prices if you're not against buying used.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
2010 Windsor Cliff 4500- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2554
2012 Nishiki Colorado- GF's bike
2007 GT aggressor- WIP
2005 KHS FXT Trail- WIP
Polaris Rush 29er- WIP

Visit our store- http://www.cafepress.com/bigboxbikes
bones72751

Return to 29ers