Phil's XR-Pro experience.

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Phil's XR-Pro experience.

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:19 pm

To be honest, when I started looking into buying a bike, LBS bikes were my priority until I saw how much they cost these days AND how good Big Box Bikes seem to have evolved in recent years. For the record, I am not dis’in LBS’s or their products, I just think the value of BBB’s has increased drastically in recent years. I did my research and read this forum and others, I read reviews of the different bikes and I decided to look at the 29” FS Mongoose Ledge 3.1 and bikes of similar spec and price from Genesis and Hyper. Initially, I thought that the XR-Pro was too much $$ for a Walmart bike and it was NOT on my list of bikes that I wanted to see in person. When I got to Walmart that night they actually had an XR-Pro and an Iron Horse Sinister 6.1 in stock, sitting right next to the Ledge 3.1 and I immediately could see the difference in the quality of the parts used on the 3 models. Long story short, I saw the value in the XR-Pro and bought it on July/18/14. Even though I was impressed by “some” of the components on this bike, I immediately recognized at least 3 things that I would want to address:

1) Align and adjust “EVERYTHING”. Some things for fitment, and some because they were not adjusted correctly to begin with.
2) The rear coil-over “Shock”. It’s not really a “shock” because that implies some sort of damping is incorporated in the design.
3) Replace the brass bushings in the suspension and shock pivot joints with ball bearings.

FWIW, on my initial ride, it wasn’t as bouncy as I thought it would be. I think If I were going to be riding mostly urban or on smoother trails and ride at a moderate pace, the suspension would work fine as-is. However, I think everyone should do a proper adjustment and alignment of the whole bike. (Edit: To mirror what shooter posted below, yes I think this bike would be OK for a lot of people as-is. I love to tinker and improve anything that I buy, that's just what I do, and I tend to do bang-for-tha-buck type modifications. To get this suspension working properly, replacing the bushings with ball bearings is a cheap mod, well worth $16 bearings and a cheap oil damped shock.)
My bike has, maybe 15-20 hours on it already, just enough to be broken in good, and I have already started the upgrades (I am a tinkerer, so modifications and tweaks will be never ending, LOL!). I’ll try to keep this thread up to date as I get each mod done and give my Noob perspective and evaluation of each. For now, I can say that I am really enjoying riding with pedal power again.

Phil
Here you can see the Mongoose in its natural habitat (LOL),,,, more to come.
* There should be 3 pix below, not sure why they aren't showing sometimes.??
log crossing
Image http://www.998cc.org/forum/members/phil_rc_1-albums-mountain-bike-picture21087-a.html
Pure stock Mongoose at home on a dusty dry trail
Image http://www.riderforums.com/members/109376-albums251-picture79783.html
At the bottom of a little G out.
Image http://www.riderforums.com/members/109376-albums251-picture79795.html
Last edited by Phil_RC_1 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
Niner Jet9 - My last Price-Point purchase before they closed
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Re: Phil's XR-Pro experience.

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:30 pm

Sounds kind of similar to my experience. I noticed the Mongoose Deception about 4 years or so ago and started thinking more seriously of department store bikes. Been to a lot of lbs and just couldn't justify the high price tags for something I knew I'd want to change sooner or later. Most of us who end up here aren't serious weekend racers or balls to zee walls downhill crazies. I ride for fun. I also considered the XR-Pro, but found a hardtail I like. The XR-Pro is quite a find in the Walmart racks and I've admired them many times. Kinda reminds me of those occasions when you see a muscle car on a pay weekly car lot lol.. Looking forward to reading about your experiences and seeing pics, reviews and your thoughts on your bike!
Tomcat65

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:31 pm

I have already posted on another thread about the parts that I have ordered so far. Ball Bearings, Kind Shock KS291R oil coil-over shock, Manitou LTD 120mm forks. I hadn't planned to replace the forks but there was a great deal on these and once the bearings were installed and the shock replaced, the forks lack of damping was even more evident.

1) 8x12x3.5 flanged bearings (still not sure what bearing size the main pivot joint will need.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390396863863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
2) Kind Shock KS291 oil dampened, coil-over, adjustable shock
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111355836139?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
3) Kickstand, just my personal preference to have one EDIT: This stand just didn't workout. Its clamp was too small for the XRs chain stay. I'm currently not using a kickstand.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130730269619?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
4) Manitou Tower LTD 120mm. Supposedly the same as the Tower expert but the name was changed in 2013
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380963062010?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

My first mod was installing the bearings in place of the brass bushings. I had previously cleaned and lubed the pivot points and had the brass bushings as free as possible so replacing them with bearings was a minimal change. I can only imagine they will be smoother longer and have longer service intervals.
Evaluation: Freeing the rear suspension joints simply made the spring loaded shock more apparent, bouncy bouncy (LOL). I guess the friction of the stock stiff joints provided some needed damping for the stock spring/shock. Now an actual shock is a must. If you don't want to upgrade your shock,,, you may want to just leave those joints a little tight.

That night after my ride, I installed the KS shock. I noted 2 problems 1)that the shock mounting points (or pivots) had no bushing or bearings and 2) the shoulder bolts (sex bolts) were slightly too short so that when they are tightened down, they cinch the joint tight (similar to what the suspension joints were doing). What were they thinking??? LOL!! Anyway, I ordered a few extra of those 8mmX12mm flanged bearings and I have a use for them. Pix below are pretty much self explanatory.
Pic is shock rockers before drilling for bearings
http://www.998cc.org/forum/members/phil_rc_1-albums-mountain-bike-picture21091-a.html

This pic is after the bearings were pressed into the shock rockers
http://www.riderforums.com/members/109376-albums251-picture79781.html

Using my table top belt sander I took off a little length of the spacer shafts that go through the top and bottom of the shock so that when the shoulder bolts are fully tightened they don't cinch the joint tight. I don't really have a picture showing this specifically. but this is close.
pic http://www.998cc.org/forum/members/phil_rc_1-albums-mountain-bike-picture21089-a.html

I got a chance to ride the bike for about an hour this morning after the above modifications.
Evaluation: The stock shock is 6" eye to eye, so, A 6.5" (or 165mm) eye to eye shock, I'm unsure of the overall effect (positive or negative) of altering the geometry of the suspension but a lot of people here have used a 6.5" so we'll see. It obviously makes the bike taller but I didn't measure before and after, however I imagine its about 1" or 1.5". I can say that the rear suspension action is smooth now. A better shock might be nice but this one does the job of damping rebound pretty well. I plan to play with the adjustable rebound and preload some more to dial it in. I'm a tinkerer so I'll probably replace it at some point.

Next will be the Manitou fork.
Last edited by Phil_RC_1 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Weight Capacity?

Postby hausponce » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:27 am

Hi, Do you have any idea on the weight capacity of Mongoose XR-PRO? I'm a tall heavy guy about 6'2" around 270-280Lbs. I'm planning to change the saddle and seat post to accommodate my height. I've seen other bikes list weight capacity but this one didn't. I'm not really much of a trail rider. Mainly street or fairly clean trails nowadays.
hausponce

Postby Destr0 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:09 pm

I am 6'3" and 250 lbs and ride fairly hard. I cracked my XR bars first time out- other than that it has held up to aggressive off road trails for several months, usually two rides a week.

Like any BBB go through all the bearings (headset and cranks, pivot points) - on mine the headset and crank bearings were lightly lubed and full of metal shavings.
Destr0

Postby hausponce » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:10 am

Thanks!
hausponce

Postby BoomerBrian » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:08 am

hausponce wrote:Hi, Do you have any idea on the weight capacity of Mongoose XR-PRO? I'm a tall heavy guy about 6'2" around 270-280Lbs. I'm planning to change the saddle and seat post to accommodate my height. I've seen other bikes list weight capacity but this one didn't. I'm not really much of a trail rider. Mainly street or fairly clean trails nowadays.

Don't get a full suspension bike if you are going to just ride on the street and flat trails. Get a hard tail. At your size you will likely have bobbing to deal with on a full suspension bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Re: Weight Capacity?

Postby ohiogsp » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:38 pm

hausponce wrote:Hi, Do you have any idea on the weight capacity of Mongoose XR-PRO? I'm a tall heavy guy about 6'2" around 270-280Lbs. I'm planning to change the saddle and seat post to accommodate my height. I've seen other bikes list weight capacity but this one didn't. I'm not really much of a trail rider. Mainly street or fairly clean trails nowadays.

I have upgraded alot of the crap on this bike crank, suspension, exc. but I am 6'1" 310 ride trails all the time and wrecked bad a month ago went over the bars and stripped the stem out. Just needed a new stem ( was not the stock one ). The rear stock suspension I collapsed the spring the first time I jumped it. Dont worry about stuff the frame is solid on this thing for sure!! Oh the stock crank/BB did not last long either.
ohiogsp

Postby Shooter_G22 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:21 pm

yup...!!! I am also 300+ and have been riding hard trails on it for over a year or so in the stock condition

(although I feel like im going to die every time while im huff'n and puff'n on the climbs, but this thing can hold up to the task...!!!)

I had not had any problems with mine until just recently when I bottom out my forks and blew out my right pre-load adjuster...

but I have put this bike through hell and back in the year that I have been ridding it, with just the occasional maintenance of regular lubing and adjusting shifters and brakes and what-not's... not to bad considering this is the first thing that I have had fail on me after a whole year and half of ridding it on every mountain bike trail in my area...!!! including some light Down hill stuff at Big Cedar in Cedar Hill Tx....!!!

this bike is good to go...!!! and will hold up to heavier riders... at least it has for me...

AND AS FAR AS Components wearing out or breaking...!!! hell that will happen on any bike at any weight, Mountain bikes are not indestructible, things ware out and/or break.! that's part of the game...
at least I can say this "the Mongoose XR-Pro is Good to Go... as is... in stock condition... for a good while, and well worth the money..!!!"

can it be better.... of coarse... does it need to be upgraded from the get go.. NO! not in my opinion..! it can ride as is.. until you decide "IF" you want to upgrade parts...

this is all just my experience with it and my opinions.. :D

hope this helps...

I would recommend this bike to anybody and everybody that wanted it... it can def hold up to
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
-T.R.
Shooter_G22

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:30 pm

I just bought a GoPro. Check out my video from my Friday evening ride. These are all trails on my families farm. I started the trail system back in the spring and they are a work in progress constantly growing. So far probably just less then 2 miles in total.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1dPUD4mNC4
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Next

Return to 29ers