Phil's XR-Pro experience.

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Phil's XR-Pro experience.

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:04 pm

First, just remember that I am new to all of this also (LOL) but I'll give the best info and feedback that I can.

The lockout isn't a complete lock but close enough for me. (I'm not sure if any fork actually completely locks) I have seen it move maybe 1/4" while in max position. What I really like is the variable compression, because most forks in this price range are all-or-nothing (Lockout-full open) and not variable in between.

As far as extra parts, you may want a new star nut but it is possible to reuse the one in your original forks. Just knock the star nut out by beating it down through the tube and out of the bottom of the tube. You will have to bend the star segments back out in order for it grab in the new steer tube. You'll also need some way to smoothly cut the steerer tube. I used a plumbers tubing cutter that I bought at Home Depot.

I watched a couple "how-to" videos on youtube and it really is pretty easy as long as your prepared and know in advance what to expect.

Make sure to post some pix after you get the forks installed.
Niner Jet9 - My last Price-Point purchase before they closed
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby renegade1000xxc » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks for that info. I got a star nut on order. Did you use the stock headset or did you replace it with an aftermarket one. I already have a bunch of tubing cutters in different sizes. Do you have any regrets getting that fork. I want a rockshox but they don't seam to make it will all the features of the manitou that will also fit our bike. Mainly 120mm travel. Thanks for your time.
Mongoose XR Pro with upgrades: Marvel Comp 120 Fork, Monarch RT3, BB7 Calipers, SD7 Levers, Avid 200mm HS1 rotors w/adaptors, Red TI Skewers, red/white/blue color scheme.

Enjoy the Outdoors
renegade1000xxc

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:28 pm

renegade1000xxc wrote: Did you use the stock headset or did you replace it with an aftermarket one.

I cleaned and greased the stock headset.

renegade1000xxc wrote:Do you have any regrets getting that fork. I want a rockshox but they don't seam to make it will all the features of the manitou that will also fit our bike. Mainly 120mm travel. Thanks for your time.

No regrets. The more I ride it, the more I appreciate the quality of these forks. My opinion: with 120mm of travel and proportional compression and rebound adjust, these might be the best bang for the buck in the $250-$350 price range. However, another fork to consider would be the RST F1. You can find these for around $300-$350 or buy them direct from China on ebay for around $200. These have all the features of the Manitou plus RLO, they're just a little bit heavier. It seems that Tomcat65 has good things to say about his so far. Quite a few peeps around here like the Suntour Epicon too and it's basically in the same price range. Now if I simply didn't want to spend almost $300 on forks (LOL), I might go with a lower end Suntour or Roxshocks,,,, but at that point, you have to ask yourself if you are really upgrading, it might be best to just keep the XCT-V4 100. It's really not all that bad (LOL).
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby renegade1000xxc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks Phil for your reply. I have found two manitou forks that are 120mm, 9mm qr and straight steerer. A manitou marvel comp and a manitou tower ltd. There is a 65 dollar difference for the marvel. Which one in your opinion would be better. Thanks for your time.
Mongoose XR Pro with upgrades: Marvel Comp 120 Fork, Monarch RT3, BB7 Calipers, SD7 Levers, Avid 200mm HS1 rotors w/adaptors, Red TI Skewers, red/white/blue color scheme.

Enjoy the Outdoors
renegade1000xxc

Postby renegade1000xxc » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:32 pm

Bump to anyone.

Enjoy the Outdoors
renegade1000xxc

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:16 am

I considered the Marvel comp also, but to be honest, I don't remember the spec's or differences between the two. I think the functional features are the same but the Marvel is a newer model and maybe an ounce or two lighter. I do remember that I picked the Tower LTD (LOL!!) over the Marvel.
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby renegade1000xxc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:29 pm

Lol. By the way Phil I really enjoyed your video.

Enjoy the Outdoors
renegade1000xxc

Postby ljcap » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Phil_RC_1 wrote:To be honest, when I started looking into buying a bike, LBS bikes were my priority until I saw how much they cost these days AND how good Big Box Bikes seem to have evolved in recent years. For the record, I am not dis’in LBS’s or their products, I just think the value of BBB’s has increased drastically in recent years. I did my research and read this forum and others, I read reviews of the different bikes and I decided to look at the 29” FS Mongoose Ledge 3.1 and bikes of similar spec and price from Genesis and Hyper. Initially, I thought that the XR-Pro was too much $$ for a Walmart bike and it was NOT on my list of bikes that I wanted to see in person. When I got to Walmart that night they actually had an XR-Pro and an Iron Horse Sinister 6.1 in stock, sitting right next to the Ledge 3.1 and I immediately could see the difference in the quality of the parts used on the 3 models. Long story short, I saw the value in the XR-Pro and bought it on July/18/14. Even though I was impressed by “some” of the components on this bike, I immediately recognized at least 3 things that I would want to address:

1) Align and adjust “EVERYTHING”. Some things for fitment, and some because they were not adjusted correctly to begin with.
2) The rear coil-over “Shock”. It’s not really a “shock” because that implies some sort of damping is incorporated in the design.
3) Replace the brass bushings in the suspension and shock pivot joints with ball bearings.

FWIW, on my initial ride, it wasn’t as bouncy as I thought it would be. I think If I were going to be riding mostly urban or on smoother trails and ride at a moderate pace, the suspension would work fine as-is. However, I think everyone should do a proper adjustment and alignment of the whole bike. (Edit: To mirror what shooter posted below, yes I think this bike would be OK for a lot of people as-is. I love to tinker and improve anything that I buy, that's just what I do, and I tend to do bang-for-tha-buck type modifications. To get this suspension working properly, replacing the bushings with ball bearings is a cheap mod, well worth $16 bearings and a cheap oil damped shock.)
My bike has, maybe 15-20 hours on it already, just enough to be broken in good, and I have already started the upgrades (I am a tinkerer, so modifications and tweaks will be never ending, LOL!). I’ll try to keep this thread up to date as I get each mod done and give my Noob perspective and evaluation of each. For now, I can say that I am really enjoying riding with pedal power again.

Phil
Here you can see the Mongoose in its natural habitat (LOL),,,, more to come.
* There should be 3 pix below, not sure why they aren't showing sometimes.??
log crossing
Image http://www.998cc.org/forum/members/phil_rc_1-albums-mountain-bike-picture21087-a.html
Pure stock Mongoose at home on a dusty dry trail
Image http://www.riderforums.com/members/109376-albums251-picture79783.html
At the bottom of a little G out.
Image http://www.riderforums.com/members/109376-albums251-picture79795.html

Hey Phil,

I initially agreed with your idea of swamping out the bushings for bearings. I got the flanged bearings from eBay and put them on. I did notice that the flange on them was not as thick as the flange on the bushing, and I never liked the idea of the possible extra slop, but I went with it.

I also upgraded the shock to a DNM 165mm. I know it raised the bike/seat/sprocket up about a half inch and never liked that either. I am a 47 yr old newbie and don't know what bikes are supposed to feel like, but it feels like I am too high off the ground.

I am lucky enough to be a machinist and able to use 3D modeling cad/cam software, and work in a shop that has a laser cutter, so I made my own pivot arm with the shock mount hole moved about half inch up, so now the bike sets about like it did from the factory.

Well I finally got around to putting the new pivot arm on. And surprisingly when I took out the bearings, they were disintegrated. Not sure why that happened, but I ended up putting the bushings back in, with lot's of clear, waterproof, odorless grease. And blue locktite on the threads.
Attachments
lasered pivot arm-2.jpg
Here is the new arm, still bare billet 6061, I will anodize the spare set I made soon, either black or even better red...
lasered pivot arm-2.jpg (510.2 KiB) Viewed 718 times
PC140091.JPG
PC140091.JPG (284.44 KiB) Viewed 718 times
ljcap

Postby 6sharky9 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:52 am

Those arms look great...maybe some will take notice of why you made those arms so it lowers the bike back closer to stock ride height...You sir win my vote for best custom upgrade to a bbb..thumbs up....You should now be able to set up proper sag without losing travel trying to lower the ride height (with too much sag) and get real gains with the proper geometry as it was meant to be.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:25 am

Just saying, you XR-Pro guys have a really popular, sharp and wildly upgradable bike... I kind of wonder if you could sell those rocker arms in the sale section here with a personal injury disclaimer? I'll bet you could sell 3 or 4 sets, maybe lots more :P
Tomcat65

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers