Phil's XR-Pro experience.

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Phil's XR-Pro experience.

Postby Ridin_Dirty » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:05 am

Tomcat65 wrote:Just saying, you XR-Pro guys have a really popular, sharp and wildly upgradable bike... I kind of wonder if you could sell those rocker arms in the sale section here with a personal injury disclaimer? I'll bet you could sell 3 or 4 sets, maybe lots more :P

Am I the only one wondering how much these will run?? :-)
Ridin_Dirty

Postby Shiboshi » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Ridin_Dirty wrote:
Tomcat65 wrote:Just saying, you XR-Pro guys have a really popular, sharp and wildly upgradable bike... I kind of wonder if you could sell those rocker arms in the sale section here with a personal injury disclaimer? I'll bet you could sell 3 or 4 sets, maybe lots more :P

Am I the only one wondering how much these will run?? :-)

Same here.
White Deception (sold)
Xr-Pro (new proyect) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2949
Shiboshi

Postby jerseyboy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:42 pm

Hey Phil,,
What size bit did you use when you drilled out your shock rocker?

Also,,did the 8x12x3.5mm bearings just drop right into the rear swing arms?

I ordered 10 from china slow boat...lol

Thanks Tom :)
Mongoose XR-Pro Slow Build Project...

Bell contoured grips
ARS Planet Bike Seat
Bontrager 2.1 Tires
Shimano 68x118 BB
8x12x3.5mm pivot bearing mod
Welgo Xpedo 13 AC Pedals(gold)
DNM AOY 30-RC Air Shock 165mm
Orgin 8 Comp Lite 350mm Seat Post(gold)
jerseyboy

Postby ohiogsp » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:11 am

Phil, fellow toolmaker/machinist. I like your arms you made. I almost made some about a year ago to add a taller rear shock with more travel. I dont have a laser but program cnc machines, so 6 in one half dozen in the other. The thing i was afraid of when I did it was because there was a spot at just over 7" eye to eye point where the pivot point kind of locks up and over travels. I was worried about extreme wear on the bushings for that reason. You might not have a problem with that cause I dont think you are moving it that far.
ohiogsp

Postby ljcap » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:46 pm

Hey guys, I've been a little busy, but the big issue is the "personal injury disclaimer", and being I don't own the shop, not sure how the legal stuff would work.

ljcap

Bell Kingpin 2.25 front and rear tires
Promax 180mm rotors and 715 calipers
Rockshox XC32TK Air Solo front fork
Zoom 350mm seat post
DNM AOY-36-RC rear air shock
Sturmey Archer 34-11 cassette
Custom made pivot arm
current bike weight = 36lbs
ljcap

Postby jerseyboy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Out of sight,,out of mind,,you send it,,I forget it...
Mongoose XR-Pro Slow Build Project...

Bell contoured grips
ARS Planet Bike Seat
Bontrager 2.1 Tires
Shimano 68x118 BB
8x12x3.5mm pivot bearing mod
Welgo Xpedo 13 AC Pedals(gold)
DNM AOY 30-RC Air Shock 165mm
Orgin 8 Comp Lite 350mm Seat Post(gold)
jerseyboy

Postby aescoto34 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:42 am

Hi I'm also new to this. Would be also interested in the custom rocker arms by jcap. I want to upgrade rear shock to what his set up is.
aescoto34

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:06 am

Hey Phil,

I initially agreed with your idea of swamping out the bushings for bearings. I got the flanged bearings from eBay and put them on. I did notice that the flange on them was not as thick as the flange on the bushing, and I never liked the idea of the possible extra slop, but I went with it.

I also upgraded the shock to a DNM 165mm. I know it raised the bike/seat/sprocket up about a half inch and never liked that either. I am a 47 yr old newbie and don't know what bikes are supposed to feel like, but it feels like I am too high off the ground.

I am lucky enough to be a machinist and able to use 3D modeling cad/cam software, and work in a shop that has a laser cutter, so I made my own pivot arm with the shock mount hole moved about half inch up, so now the bike sets about like it did from the factory.

Well I finally got around to putting the new pivot arm on. And surprisingly when I took out the bearings, they were disintegrated. Not sure why that happened, but I ended up putting the bushings back in, with lot's of clear, waterproof, odorless grease. And blue locktite on the threads.

The site has been busy since my last post last Oct. I have just been riding the crap out of my XR-Pro and enjoying every minute of it. but I also had a similar issue as ljcap, but my bearings in the upper swingarm pivots have been fine. Only the ones in the upper shock pivot (That I drilled) have blown-out. Right now I am trying upgraded BOCA bearings, if that fails I'll just go back to the brass bushings. Either way, I think the bearing upgrade in the upper swingarm pivots is well woth the effort and money.

Now that I have some hours and miles on it, I am hearing a click every rotation of the crank. I think it's pretty common for this bike and I think it would ride that way and be fine for a long time but it is a little annoying. Anyway, I may replace it soon and I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an inexpensive reliable bottom bracket that will fit the XR-Pro?

BTW: The GeaX AKA's are still working great for the trails I ride.
Niner Jet9 - My last Price-Point purchase before they closed
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:52 pm

Phil_RC_1 wrote:

Now that I have some hours and miles on it, I am hearing a click every rotation of the crank. I think it's pretty common for this bike and I think it would ride that way and be fine for a long time but it is a little annoying. Anyway, I may replace it soon and I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an inexpensive reliable bottom bracket that will fit the XR-Pro?

Never mind! I searched here and found a lot of people asking about the BB and I found a lot of broken links (LOL) but no descriptive answer. So I watched a couple YouTube vids that explained the sizing of sealed BB's, so it's just a matter of measuring mine and finding a compatible unit. YouTube is an awesome resource for learning bicycle maintenance and upgrades.
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:01 pm

XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers