Phil's XR-Pro experience.

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Phil's XR-Pro experience.

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Yes. YES it will. Just make sure you get the 68/73 kit. I think that's the only bb size it comes with anyway.
Falkon45

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:23 am

Well, I got in a hurry, didn't want to wait 4 or 5 days and go through a EBay bidding war on that one so I found the same crankset and BB for a Buy-It-Now of 73.95 Free shipping.
The crankset retail price is like $169.00 and the GXP BB is usually $40-$50. So under $75 for the whole thing seems like an awesome bargain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391164684879?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Niner Jet9 - My last Price-Point purchase before they closed
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Received the cranks and bearing,, Gottem installed, No more clunking on every rotation of the pedals. I Took the old bearings out and they looked OK'ish,,, they were greased, a little dirty but didn't look too bad, they must just be the lowest of low quality there is (LOL)

Even gear changes are a lot smoother. One word describes this upgrade
"SMOOOOVVVV.....!!!!!!!!! " LOL
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby Tomcat65 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Those external bearing cranksets are worth every penny if you love your bike lol.. Setting those bearings outboard, widens the fulcrum points on the crank and bearings, and should result in far less stress on all of the parts and smoother, more immediate response to power... If you love your bike, you might notice the difference :D
Tomcat65

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:38 pm

The cranks are still working out great. They're so smooth, now I'm noticing other issues!!! LOL...Now, I'm getting noise and play from the headset. I'm looking at the FSA Pig Pro-DH. It has larger 1/4" bearings in the bottom. It would seem that would make it stronger but I'm not sure??? I may just go with something proven like the Cane Creek S-8. What do you guys think? Suggestions for durable headsets? BTW: I'm looking at the $20-$40'ish range.

I'm also getting some play in the rear suspension, but I believe that is simply due to needing a tune-up and freshen-up. Which points to one weakness of "any" full suspension bike, is that you have to replace the bearings (or brass bushings) periodically. The plan is to tear down the whole bike soon and do some seriously overdue maintenance.
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:43 pm

I have the DH pro on two of my bikes. Definitely worth it. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
Falkon45

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:52 pm

OK, I have officially gone nuts the past week. I went ballistic on eBay ordering stuff in preparation of my future tune-up on the XR-Pro. One thing I am addressing is the rear suspension again. I'm just beginning to get some side-to-side play so it is time to replace the bearings. While I am at it, I think there is enough void space between the two flanged bearings for a third standard (non-flanged) bearing. This should add strength to each pivot point. As an experiment, I also ordered some 8x12x10mm needle roller bearings to try in the upper shock pivot as well. Surprisingly, the bearings were only like $15. (I just hope I can get the bushings for the main pivot from Pacific cycle, If I need them!). I also ordered the Pig DH-pro headset, a new FSA 70mmx17 *stem, a chain stay protector and some various red anodized bling for both bikes. Now the waiting starts!!,, most of it is shipping from china so it'll be two weeks or-so before I get it all.

The real expense and craziness was my purchase of a new Fuji Tahoe 27.5 1.5 (LOL). It may not be fair to compare a $375 walgoose FS to a $1209msrp LBS hardtail but in the near future (once I have the XR tuned up) I will compare the two. I can already tell that the short wheelbase and more compact frame dimensions of the Fuji make it very responsive.

BTW: I have started a new thread on the 27.5 forum.

BTW2: I just wanna say thanx to all the guys on this forum who are experienced and willing to give their advice when needed. I'm still kinda new to all of this (but learning everyday!) and appreciate everyone's help and advice.
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:52 am

OK, I have the XR tune-up complete for now. The exception is the FSA headset install. I want to get the head tube resurfaced and I don't want to buy the $500 tool to do it, so the headset is waiting until I can get the bike to my LBS, and the original is functional for now.

I replaced the suspension bearings, Cleaned, lubed, checked, adjusted, torqued pretty much everything and added some bling. (See pix)

The Main pivot is still a puzzle. Fully seating (Tightening) the pivot sex-bolt will basically seize the pivot joint (Not good!). The sex-bolt is simply a few mm's too short. So after cleaning everything, I used loctite on the threads and tightened just until I started feeling some resistance in the pivot action, then let the loctite cure. The pivot is now tight again but still free enough to move smoothly.

Now with a good tune-up, I'm still amazed how smooth the XR-Pro is as a whole. Compared to my new LBS Fuji Tahoe hardtail, this BBB holds its own! I know, I'm comparing apples to oranges (or 29”FS to 27.5”HT(LOL)) but I believe I gained some relevant (albeit expensive!!) knowledge here, and reconfirmed one of the foundations of this web site. Mainly, that with some careful consideration and research, knowledge and mechanical ability along with some minimal but necessary upgrades,,, a BBB can compete with much more expensive LBS bikes.

I've GOT to cut that steer tube!!!(LOL)
SRAM grips, Rock Bros pedals, Chainstay protector
Both bikes
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby craigo198 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:25 am

is there a ghetto way of preloading the suntour xct for more stiffness than what is offered at stock? Im a heavy rider (220lbs) and as is they are too soft for me.
craigo198

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:46 am

Tomcat65

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers