Upland Raider

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Upland Raider

Postby afbond03 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Newb here to see if anyone has heard of the Upland Raider 29er by American Golden Wheel. The only place I am finding it is through AAFES(Military Store for those unfamiliar with it)
This is about all I can get for information: Features an alloy frame, front suspension, front and rear alloy disc brakes, Shimano free wheel, Shimano shifters, and Shimano front steel and rear alloy derailleurs.
I honestly am just getting into bikes since I now have two youngn's that I am looking to drag around in a trailer so I don't really know what I am looking at as far as brakes and etc. Just curious if anyone out there has heard anything about this bike. It runs $199 which is the high end of my price point for now.
Couple of pics, didn't get to give a spin as it seems someone before me jacked the chain all kinds of up.

Otherwise I am leaning toward some of the Wally World bikes I've been reading about on here.
afbond03

Re: Upland Raider

Postby 6sharky9 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:35 pm

To me it looks pretty nice for 200 bucks...the rear derailleur section looks beefy...youre getting front and rear disc brakes...the shifting components are pretty basic department store items....It is a 1-1/8 headtube...It is a hardtail which is a good choice for getting started and especially for towing around the lil ones...i see nothing wrong with it..if you like it pull the trigger on it...as with most any bike just upgrade as you go along or see fit...seems a worthy candidate for present and future use.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:51 pm

The rear dropout and derailleur hanger, disc brakes front and rear, it looks like a Pacific Cycle deal,
but that thing has a tall frame like a Genesis!
I like it!
Like Sharky said, it's pretty standard equipment and parts and upgrades won't be a problem to find.
I like that black and green too!
Tomcat65

Postby afbond03 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks for the information folks. It most likely is associated with Pacific Cycles as AAFES sales that brand mostly in store.
Probably will go by the store tomorrow and see if they have an unbuilt one to buy.
Now the search continues for something decent for my wife.
afbond03

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:59 pm

I found a review on The Exchange website. Looks like it has the typical Bottom Bracket problems. Either disassemble it and clean/grease the bearings, or get a good sealed unit when you can. A few bike shops around here can install a new bottom bracket for $60-70
But you should get by for quite a while before this becomes a big issue

http://www.shopmyexchange.com/mobile/upland-raider-mountain-29-in-bike/5756700
Tomcat65

Postby afbond03 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:19 pm

I did see that and figured it would be something I could have taken care of it became an issue.
Any suggestions on a sealed bottom bracket to go with or do I need determine the size I'll need and go from there?
afbond03

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Most everyone here goes with the Shimano UN55 sealed bracket. The bike shops will help you determine the size, or seems quite often around here, the guys buy 113mm to 118mm. The best way to decide on a size, is to disassemble yours, and measure the length of the shaft. Some of us have external bearing cranksets, but cost becomes a factor pretty quickly when looking at cranksets. 68x118 seems a decent place to start, there is only about 1/4" difference between 113 and 118mm
Tomcat65

Postby rpromero » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:02 pm

rpromero

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:50 pm

Saw the Upland website when this thread started, but that website hasn't been updated since 2011 and the Upland Raider is not on it..
Tomcat65

Postby afbond03 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:00 pm

So finally got to take the bike for a quick spin this evening and though it has been 10 years since I have been on a bike it felt very nice. The 29er's sure feel like some big ol bikes when riding them that is for certain. Since living in Arizona means my "Winter" months are really the months I get to go outdoors I won't be doing anything to this immediately, plus I want to ensure my wife enjoys getting out and riding as well before I start throwing money into this adventure. I did pick-up a nice headlight and rear LED so the "cagers" can see me.
Here are some quick pics of it:
Don't mind the rest of the chaos going on in the garage, just moved to AZ about 2 months ago from WY so still getting settled in.

Here is my wife's bike, I picked her up a Mongoose Montana, def. nothing special but will get the job done for the time being. i don't see myself doing anything to this bike, if she enjoys getting out I will just look at buying her a higher end bike as this one is just plain heavy. I did de-sticker it of course though.

The uplander has good weight to it, not sure exactly what it is weighing in at but I've been slinging it in and out of my Jeep today and on and off my home made bike stand as well and have no complaints about the weight. I am a forum junkie so yall will see me around for certain and as things progress with the Upland I will be sure to keep this updated in case someone else gets curious about them and starts looking for information.
afbond03

Next

Return to 29ers