Plasti Dip Deception

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Plasti Dip Deception

Postby squire366 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:41 pm

So as many of you that have been on this site know already, I've repainted my Mongoose Deception about 3 times in the last 3 years and I haven't gotten a finish that I'm satisfied with. Don't get me wrong the bike looks good as is but I wanted a Satin Black frame. I used Rustoleum Satin Black wheel paint and Satin Clear which gave the Black an Olive Green look. So my Deception is now very close to the original color.

I considered getting the frame powder coated Satin Black which will cost roughly $85-$100 and will take about a week. However I've watched about 20 YouTube videos on using Plasti Dip and I think that'll be my next step. From what I've seen Plasti Dip holds up really well on car bodies and wheels. I've also seen guys who painted their dirt bikes with Plasti Dip and it held up nicely.

Besides.........I can dip the bike frame for about $15 whereas powder coat will be $85-$100 like I mentioned before. I'm gonna start this project over New Years weekend and then I'll get some pics posted ASAP !!!!!
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Re: Plasti Dip Deception

Postby BoomerBrian » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Look forward to seeing the progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Postby Tomcat65 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:28 pm

YAY! I get to watch you do this and decide if I want to do it too!! Go Squire! Woo-hoo! :D
lol

Actually, I've been considering it for a long time. Seems this could be the perfect finish for a mountain bike. Easy to apply, easy to get a decent finish, easy to touch-up..
Tomcat65

Postby squire366 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Tomcat65 wrote:YAY! I get to watch you do this and decide if I want to do it too!! Go Squire! Woo-hoo! :D
lol

Actually, I've been considering it for a long time. Seems this could be the perfect finish for a mountain bike. Easy to apply, easy to get a decent finish, easy to touch-up..

And don't forget you can just peel it off and change up the color at any time. I watched a couple of videos today that show you how to mask off areas and do stripes and designs too. I'm not going to get into all of that on my Deception frame though.

From what I've seen on YouTube it's really durable too. Plasti Dipped cars have become really popular now. I see them all the time in the Atlanta area. I'm even considering doing the wheels on my 2004 Mazda 6 in a Gun Metal Grey Plasti Dip color. I'm also going to Dip the center console in my car Matte Black.

The trick is making sure the parts are CLEAN first. No additional prep is required. Then apply two light coats then 2 or 3 wet coats for an even coverage. You only have to wait about 15 minutes between coats and then once the final coat is applied and left to dry for a couple hours you can peel off any excess Plasti Dip that got on areas not meant to be covered. The thicker the coats, the better the Plasti Dip self levels and peels off when you want to remove it.

OH.......and you can apply decals on top of Plasti Dip as well.

You can find all of the colors and how to videos here.................

www.dipyourcar.com
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby Renaldow » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:49 pm

This is fascinating, I can't wait to see how your bike turns out.
Renaldow

Postby cole.robinson.543 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Add me to the list of people waiting to see how this turns out. I really want to see how it holds up after a season. Been thinking about it myself for a few months, just worried about abrasion and gravel bouncing off the frame.
cole.robinson.543

Postby inneyeseakay » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:28 pm

I love plastidip, although it's not the most durable finish in the world... I plastidipped the lowers on a truck I used to have and had knicks in it within a week (no offroading)
inneyeseakay

Postby squire366 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Hopefully I can have pics up this weekend. I'm starting on this project tomorrow night so we'll see how it goes. From what I've seen on YouTube you have to apply at least 4-5 coats to get a really durable finish and some guys even said they had the Plasti Dip on their cars for over a year with no major issues.

My only concern would be jacking up the finish after a hard crash but then again even powder coat can get messed up after a really hard crash so we'll see how it goes.
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby squire366 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:12 pm

Quick update on this project.........I sprayed my Deception frame with 5 coats of Matte Black Plasti Dip that I purchased at Advance Auto Parts for about $6 per can and I bought 2 cans. After removing the decals I cleaned the frame with denatured Alcohol and that was all the prep that was needed. I taped the headset cups and external BB's off and started spraying.

I used Matte Black wheel paint to paint the rear drop outs only because my QR skewers actually touch the frame and they will scratch up regular paint so I know the Plati Dip wouldn't last long on the drop outs. Other than that I sprayed 2 light "dust" coats then 3 "wet" coats allowing about 15 minutes between each coat.

Came out looking nice and the color is actually Matte Black and not a dark Olive Green like it was before. I'm going to put the bike back together tomorrow and hopefully get some pictures in this weekend. Also.....since Plasti Dip is a "rubber" based product the final finish has a "rubberized" feel to it. I'll probably leave mine as is but DipYourCar does make a product called Dip Coat which protects the finish against scratches and actually makes it feel more slick and not as tacky or rubbery. If I had dipped my car then maybe I could justify spending the $28 for the Dip Coat but not for a mountain bike frame...............LOL
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby Renaldow » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:26 am

Very cool! Can't wait to see the pics!!
Renaldow

Next

Return to 29ers