Plasti Dip Deception

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Plasti Dip Deception

Postby JohnnyMullet » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Looking forward to pics since I considered this also.
Ashtabula Crank Bicycle Club
JohnnyMullet

Postby squire366 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:06 pm

So Matte Black Plasti Dip has been sprayed and allowed to dry for about 24 hours now. Most of the bike is back together and so far it looks really good. I already ordered new decals and they should be here next week. I'm replacing the inner cables so that's why I don't have the cables set up yet.

But overall I'm pleased with how the Plasti Dip sprayed. It self levels so the finish is fairly smooth but still has a slight "rubberized" feel to it. Total spraying time was a little over an hour and that's with about 15 minutes between coats. Now we have to see how it'll hold up on the trails with all the dirt, rocks, mud and washing.................ect.

And YES the front wheel is on the wrong way. I just slapped it on so I caould take a quick pic................LOL
Attachments
rsz_img_20150102_202311.jpg
rsz_img_20150102_202311.jpg (120.85 KiB) Viewed 443 times
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Looks good!
A chainstay wrap and a clear protective shield of some sort from the fork crown to the bottom bracket might eliminate the biggest part of the nicks and peeling.
But that frame does look good in black
Tomcat65

Postby desertguns » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:35 pm

Like the look. Curious to see how it holds up too. I used it on a handle bar & it took 2 weeks for the smell to fully subside. Can't just peel it off either. Would take some serious scraping with a hard nylon tool. Even if you scape it up on a trail, touch ups should be no problem.
desertguns

Postby newrider » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:02 am

Very cool...I like the look too! Just what I needed, another idea lmao
newrider

Postby newrider » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:12 am

Tomcat65 wrote:Looks good!
A chainstay wrap and a clear protective shield of some sort from the fork crown to the bottom bracket might eliminate the biggest part of the nicks and peeling.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Effetto-Mariposa-Shelter-Frame-Protection/dp/B007W2C9UI/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1420279810&sr=1-1&keywords=BIKE+FRAME+PROTECTOR+TAPE
newrider

Postby squire366 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:17 am

Actually Tomcat I didn't have any nicks on the underside of the downtube when the frame was painted using wheel paint. From what I've seen on YouTube guys have had Plasti Dip on their cars for over a year and the only chips were on the front bumper area from stuff flying up from the road but no peeling. Also if I do get a chip, Dipyourcar.com sells a repair kit that you can use to flatten out the chip using a special blend of paint thinners and a special glove. Then you can just touch up the area with more Plasti Dip. That method also works for tears or peeling.
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby squire366 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:19 am

OH..........the chainstay will be covered with the old tried and true "innertube and tie wraps" method.............LOL. Then again I thought about ordering a RaceFace chain stay protector from eBay.
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby BoomerBrian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:22 am

Looks great. I have the tube and tie wraps as well. Works great, looks cool when done right and is cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Postby squire366 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:23 am

desertguns wrote:Like the look. Curious to see how it holds up too. I used it on a handle bar & it took 2 weeks for the smell to fully subside. Can't just peel it off either. Would take some serious scraping with a hard nylon tool. Even if you scape it up on a trail, touch ups should be no problem.

It can be peeled off easily when you WANT it to peel off but the secret is using several "wet" coats after a couple of "dust" coats. But from what I've seen on YouTube, you have to have an edge to peel back from. Since the Deception has round tubes I think it will be very hard for this stuff to start peeling unless I cut an edge into it and start peeling back from there.

And like you said it is VERY easy to touch up. They have a video posted that shows exactly how to do it and it is super simple.
Mongoose Deception
squire366

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers