Plasti Dip Deception

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Plasti Dip Deception

Postby squire366 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:34 pm

Bought a couple of RaceFace decals from eBay and slapped those on the seat tube. I think that's enough decals for this bike.........LOL
Attachments
rsz_img_20150112_215850.jpg
rsz_img_20150112_215850.jpg (122.03 KiB) Viewed 557 times
rsz_img_20150112_215750.jpg
rsz_img_20150112_215750.jpg (98.4 KiB) Viewed 557 times
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby JohnnyMullet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:45 pm

I think it's good! Nice job.
Ashtabula Crank Bicycle Club
JohnnyMullet

Postby wicked » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:56 pm

+1, Sweet looking rig. How is the dip holding up ?
wicked

Postby squire366 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:41 pm

wicked wrote:+1, Sweet looking rig. How is the dip holding up ?

I haven't had a chance to test it on single track yet because it has been raining a lot here in the Atlanta area and most trails are pretty wet. However I did get a close up look at at BMW 545 that was dipped in Matte Black and it looked sweet. From what I could see there were no visible nicks or tears and this is a car that is driven daily.

I'm hoping the Plasti Dip on my deception holds up as well as the Plasti Dip on that BMW.
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby BoomerBrian » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Is there overspray like regular paint then you spray it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
BoomerBrian

Postby squire366 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:40 am

BoomerBrian wrote:Is there overspray like regular paint then you spray it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

YUP.........but it doesn't seem to be as much overspray for some reason. But just like regular paint the overspray ends up looking like a bunch of black dust on the floor. I spray in my unfinished basement so no worries about messing anything up with overspray. I just paint and sweep up afterwards.
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby squire366 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:00 am

Finally got my helmet covered with black Plasti Dip. Here's a great tip if you guys are going to try this. If you live in a colder climate OR it just happens to be cold where you are spraying, fill a bucket about halfway with hot water then let the can of Plasti Dip sit in the hot water for about 5-10 minutes so the Plasti Dip can warm up. Believe me, when warm, it sprays a nice fine mist instead of spitting and coverage is even and really smooth. Another thing I do is spray a few passes then shake the can. Spray a few more passes then shake some more. Worked well for my bike and helmet.

I didn't tape off the inside of the cut-outs on my helmet because I'm getting a Bell Stoker helmet soon. I just wanted to see how the Plasti Dip would look on my current helmet so I stuffed the inside of the helmet with paper towels to prevent overspray from getting in there.
Attachments
rsz_image3.jpg
rsz_image3.jpg (83.71 KiB) Viewed 505 times
rsz_9image.jpg
rsz_9image.jpg (80.96 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby squire366 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:39 pm

rsz_20150609_153801.jpg
rsz_20150609_153801.jpg (371.41 KiB) Viewed 433 times
What's good guys !!!! I know it's been a while since I posted anything but I just wanted to give everyone a quick review of the Plasti-Dip that I sprayed on my Deception. So I finally started riding again in May because it has rained a lot here in the Atlanta area. So far I have about 6 or 7 rides on singletrack and the Plasti-Dip is holding up great. A few of those rides were in muddy conditions so I stopped at a car wash and sprayed the bike off. The Plasti-Dip didn't budge.

There are a couple of small tears in the Plasti-Dip on my top tube. I think they happened while putting the bike on my rack or taking it off. Anyway tears in Plasti-Dip are fairly easy to repair. You simply put on some rubber gloves that are rated for use with chemicals. Then dip your finger in some paint thinner and rub it around the edges of the tear to smooth it out. Once the edges are laying smooth again, you let the paint thinner evaporate then repaint the area with Plasti-Dip.

So far the two tears on my top tube are only about 1/8th of an inch in diameter so I'm in no hurry to fix them but I've gotten a few good comments on my bike's paint job. When I tell people it's Plast-Dip they can't believe it.
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:31 am

That pretty much makes Plasti-Dip a realistic alternative to standard rattlecan paint... The problems I've had with standard spray paint, were always basic durability issues. It's certainly not chip resistant, and it's never easily repaired. You can always see the repairs. Then there's fading, especially of Red tones and loss of glossy shine. So, the biggest advantage I see with Plasti-Dip, is the easy touch-up and blending.

Interested in seeing how the decals over the Plasti-Dip work out over time.. You obviously have your Chainstays protected, but the down tube must take a real beating. I wonder if a clear down tube shield would work over the Plasti-Dip?
Tomcat65

Postby squire366 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:19 am

Tomcat65 wrote:That pretty much makes Plasti-Dip a realistic alternative to standard rattlecan paint... The problems I've had with standard spray paint, were always basic durability issues. It's certainly not chip resistant, and it's never easily repaired. You can always see the repairs. Then there's fading, especially of Red tones and loss of glossy shine. So, the biggest advantage I see with Plasti-Dip, is the easy touch-up and blending.

Interested in seeing how the decals over the Plasti-Dip work out over time.. You obviously have your Chainstays protected, but the down tube must take a real beating. I wonder if a clear down tube shield would work over the Plasti-Dip?

Actually a clear down tube shield would work fine. I haven't noticed any tears or chips on the down tube yet at all and I have used a car wash to power wash my bike after muddy rides several times with no issues. I mean Plasti-Dip is formulated to be sprayed on cars and wheels that are driven on the streets and highways at much higher speeds than we can ride on a mountain bike. Those Plasti-Dipped cars are subjected to a barrage of pebbles, grit, dirt.......ect and the Plasti-Dip holds up really well. I've seen and talked to guys here in Atlanta that have dipped cars and the cars look great so I have come to the conclusion that if Plasti-Dip can be used on a car then it can definitely be used on a mountain bike.

The only issue I see with decals is trying to remove them. With normal paint you can use a heat gun to warm up the decals then peel them right off. I don't see that happening with Plasti-Dip. I think the Plasti-Dip would peel up as well.
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Previous

Return to 29ers