New title!: Falkon45s Mongoose Stat build!

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

New title!: Falkon45s Mongoose Stat build!

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:23 am

I've been avoiding 29ers for a long time, but, one of these is a great deal, and one is okay.

http://savannah.craigslist.org/bik/4903020318.html

for $50, I should get it for GP. I mean, that's great, and I've seen these built.

http://savannah.craigslist.org/bik/4853055198.html

on the fence about this one. $150 seems okay, but I think it may be a little high.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Falkon45 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falkon45

Re: Which one should I get?

Postby Tomcat65 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:44 am

If he bought a White Deception last year for $290.00, he got ripped off lol.. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the Deception, but I'll bet that's either a 2013 or 2012 model, possibly a 2011. They sold for closer to $230 to $250. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the Deception, but for $50, the royal blue Stat isn't bad.

So, I'm no help either lol.. The Stat frame is going to seem smaller, the Deception has a very wide, almost bulky, heavy duty feeling frame, feels like a Big bike. The Stat feels long and lean, kind of like a big BMX, but your toe will likely touch the front tire while cornering either of those bikes. For quality ... The blue Stat was probably the best of the Stat models, so... Do you like the blue? Or is it worth $150 for white? lol.. Make an offer on the Deception and wait and see, or buy the Stat while you can get it for $50. The big difference is going to be the frame, all of the components are just about the same.

EDIT: The crank arms were prone to come loose and fall off of the Stat. Like the bb was soft or the crank arms weren't quite right. There are still reviews on those bikes on the WalMart site, but you have to Google search them. The pages aren't available through the WalMart website anymore. I figure cranksets and bb's will be high on your list of upgrades anyway :)
Tomcat65

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:25 am

Lol. I'd much rather the deception also. They just look mean, and a crankset and fork would be the first mods. Probably left alone after that.

But the stat is just too good to pass up. . And thanks for telling me about the price of the deception! I figured it seemed a little high. But it's currently 3 of my favorite colors. Lol. I may take the stat, and see if I can talk down the deception. I don't need to bikes, but it'll be nice to have an "apples to apples" comparison of I rode with my friends and they have 29er to ride also.
Last edited by Falkon45 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falkon45

Postby Scar223 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:47 am

I'm going to be very helpful here I think, Get both! You're welcome.....

I would work to talk them both down, If I could find a deception locally I would get it, I am on the look out.
Mongoose dolomite
Genesis 2wenty N9ne
Schwinn Mesa
Scar223

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:56 am

Lol. Believe me, I want both. Might not build both, but I will ride both. I have just enough stuff left over to do a build... Partial one anyway. Just not sure if I like 29ers.never rode one, but these wouldn't be any big money lost if I don't like it. And I could possibly profit off the stat if I don't like it. Not the soul purpose. More like a contingency plan. Lol.
Falkon45

Postby rpromero » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:21 pm

Falcon, we all know you and know you will not leave either of them alone. Buy both and that will keep you busy for at least 6 month on two complete rebuilds!! LOL!!! Really and truly the Stat will fit you better but I agree with you that the Deception is a far better looking frame. Truly you are not buying the entire bike for the bike, so decide what frame you would rather have if you have to choose only one. The Stat's price is very hard to pass up though.
rpromero

Postby poriggity » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Sounds like the decision has already been made for you. Buy both ;) I would if I were you.
poriggity

Postby to the beach » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:41 pm

The stat is just so rich looking in that electric blue, it's the better deal too.
to the beach

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:32 am

Lol. Well, thanks guys. I'm gonna get the stat... The finnagle the deception in there somehow. If anything, I'll give the deception to my friend so he can finally ride a hardtail, and a bigger frame. The 24 to 26 build we did is too small, and he needs a larger frame. This should keep him riding longer, and not getting so tired easily.
Falkon45

Postby Falkon45 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:35 pm

So I got le stat! Have the guy 60 because he was a cool dude. . Tomcat hit it on the head about my toes hitting the front tire. It actually feels a little small. I guess I just like being leaned over a little more. It does have bosses for disc brakes, so the leftovers elixir 1s note have a home. The left crank arm is pretty chewed up but doable for now. I have an extra x7 and x9 front derailleur. But, gonna use the x7 with the x0 shifters. There's a guy with an x5 set on CL too. Calling him tomorrow. Making a plan for the bike already. But gonna take it to the trail tomorrow to see what it's like in stock form. Lol
Falkon45

Next

Return to 29ers