Newbie, deciding between Mongoose Stat or Ledge

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Newbie, deciding between Mongoose Stat or Ledge

Postby torred 3.5 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:43 am

Hi all I wanted to get a 29 inch bike for some time now and have narrowed it down between the mongoose stat and ledge at walmart. the price difference between the two is insignificant so that's not a deciding factor for me.

I'm no bike expert so I'll lay out what type of riding I do, mostly paved riding and unpaved dirt road riding occasionally. I just csme from a mongoose xr-75 which I had for 5 years and it was showing its age so I sold it.

So, whats the better choice for me? Does the dual suspension on the ledge provide superior ride over the stat? Which one is better built? does the stat having dual disc brakes provide an advantage in stopping Compared to the ledge? I have yet to see these bikes in person but before I go to my local walmart I wanna see what any owners and or experts of the bikes feel about them and what's the better choice for me. thanks in advance for your advice!
torred 3.5

Re: Newbie, deciding between Mongoose Stat or Ledge

Postby Fuzzyplums » Sat May 16, 2015 3:58 pm

Greetings torred. I'm still new to the bike thing. I have spent a lot of time in this forum before I made a bike purchase. The one thing I have learned is there is no need in a full suspension bike if all you're doing is paved and dirt roads. My wife purchased the Stat 4.2 for me and I haven't looked back yet!!! There is less to worry about in a hard tail bike versus a full suspension. The main thing is what do you want? Which one fits you better. There is a section in the forum in regards to people buying a full suspension bike as a first bike. There is a lot of helpful info in there. It's worth checking out!!! Again it is all up to you but I suggest checking out the section about full suspension bikes before you purchase a bike. It helped me and I really enjoy my bike. I do the same riding as you plan to do. I stay on paved roads and dirt roads. Enjoy whatever you get!!!
Fuzzyplums

Postby Falkon45 » Sat May 16, 2015 4:31 pm

For beginning, go with the stat. I still like my hardtails over my full suspension bikes. Hardtails are good for just cruising the street, or getting busy in the trails (believe me, I've done it regularly). Also, just less stuff to take care of, and easier to find loose parts. I hunted a weird shake in my frame for two days on my xr250 before i realized that i didn't tighten the pivot points close to my dropouts enough. Very few problems with my stat or aluminum comp (when it was put together.)
Falkon45

Postby 6sharky9 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:25 pm

The STAT.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby torred 3.5 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks for the input fellas. So I was at Target today and a Schwinn 29incher caught my attention. Its the ascension and it was on sale for $225 From $300. It looked really well put together and has dual discs, Shimano shifter etc. I really liked the matte paint job as well, I think I'm down between the stat and the ascension now. I've always thought of schwinn bikes as on the higher end. So the stat and ascension... both around $220 price range. What is the better bike? I plan on purchasing a bike next weekend. What do you guys think? Btw here's a link to the ascension.
torred 3.5

Postby Falkon45 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:04 am

hmmm, this is a tough one. The ascension has a better fork, and the frame is a bit bigger with different geometry. What's you height and inseam? I would say, go with the ascension if you're 5'9" or taller.
Falkon45

Postby torred 3.5 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:12 am

Falkon45 wrote:hmmm, this is a tough one. The ascension has a better fork, and the frame is a bit bigger with different geometry. What's you height and inseam? I would say, go with the ascension if you're 5'9" or taller.

I'm 6'2" 240lbs. I did sit on the ascension and it felt a lot more comfortable than my old XR-75 was. You are right it's a tough decision, there are a lot more reviews for the Stat out there, Ascension is not a very popular bike from what I can tell.
torred 3.5

Postby Fuzzyplums » Sun May 17, 2015 8:26 am

I'm 6'4 and 268lbs. My Stat 4.2 fits me just fine. Again it all falls down to what fits you and feels the most comfortable.
Fuzzyplums

Postby Falkon45 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:43 am

Like I said before I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. My stat feels a tad too small for me. And that's a frame up build with parts I picked for the bike to fit me.

But yeah, try them both, and pick the one that feels better.
Falkon45

Next

Return to 29ers