Genesis n9ne or Mongoose stat 4.2

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Genesis n9ne or Mongoose stat 4.2

Postby damian015 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:57 am

So Im looking at the Genesis N9NE and the Mongoose Stat 4.2 and Im not sure what the big difference is other than rear disc on the Stat. Im new to this so help is greatly appreciated before getting one. Also could someone please explain wTH is the difference between the regular stat and the stat 4.2? Could not find that info anywhere. Links below:

Regular Stat:
================
http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/29-M ... e/21191093

Stat 4.2:
==============
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-Stat ... e/34931887

Genesis N9NE:
=============
http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Genesis-2- ... y/23974640
damian015

Re: Genesis n9ne or Mongoose stat 4.2

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:26 pm

The Genesis is slightly bigger, with a more cross country geometry. The stat is more dirt jump, but okay for xc(cross country). The stat had rear disc, where the Genesis doesn't even have provisions to go rear disc without an adapter. I think the mongoose has the better of the tourney components, but still crappy twist shifters. The older stats are known to lose a crank arm. I think that was solved with the 4.2.
Falkon45

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Considering the cost for an adapter to convert the rear to disc id would go with the STAT also.

You may or may not like grip shifters and those arent the best of quality (from shimano) as far as grip shifters go but its fairly inexpensive to convert to a trigger shifter or better grip shiffters as opposed to converting to a rear disc brake on the genesis.

STAT 4.2 gets my choice as well
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby damian015 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Cool....and about the Regular stat and the stat 4.2 is just a new paint job from the 2015 model correct? everything else is pretty much the same correct?
damian015

Postby bubmiller » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:48 am

I think the stat is 3 x 7, and the 4.2 is 3 x 8? Get the cheaper bike, and when the shifters give out replace them with 3 x 8 shifters. (Shimano St ef51 works good). Then replace the freewheel with the 8 speed sunrace or shimano megarange.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
bubmiller

Postby 6sharky9 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:49 am

Falkon45 knows more about it but, something about a crank problem being on the first model and the 4.2 having the issue resolved....And according to the walmart specs both models are 21 speed.

I would personally get the updated model...The only real issue you may have with even the new one are the grip shifters....If they are like the ones i had on an older mongoose xr75, then they will just come apart on you when shifting it one day out of the blue like mine did......But then again they werent sram grip shifters so really its speculation on my part....Mine were Falcon shifters now that i think about it and so were the derailleurs...Was a cheap $120.00 bike at the time.

Considering the type of riding you mentioned you shouldnt have much to worry about with anything...Its a toss in the air with most any of the bikes...Some you may not have a single problem with at all and some you will.
6sharky9

Postby Fuzzyplums » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:24 pm

Don't trust the info Walmart posts about their bikes. I own the Stat 4.2. The specs that Walmart has states that it is a 21 speed (3x7) when in fact it is a 24 speed(3x8). It will be suited just fine for the style of riding you have in mind. Which ever one you choose, enjoy it!!!
Fuzzyplums

Postby damian015 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:54 pm

Damn, you guys are great. Full of info and courteous. You dont see this much on forums. Cool. I really dislike the shifter on the Mongoose. At least the ones I saw at the store and the brake levers felt cheap with a fake chrome look. Would love to upgrade those right away. Is this what you guys recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-ST-EF51-B ... o+shifters
damian015

Postby damian015 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:13 pm

Bike has been purchased. Should be getting home June 25 .....

damian015

Postby 6sharky9 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:48 am

The shimano ST-EF51 are an upgrade somewhat but ,consider its an all built into one unit..Meaning if you decide to go with different brakes such as hydraulic youll have to replace the shifters also..The same for shifters...if you want even better shifters you need to buy separate brake handles...Also consider if you have an internal shifter problem you have to replace the whole thing or vice versa for the brakes..mainly handle breakage as they are plastic...No room here for future upgrades.

I would strongly recommend separate component upgrades to grow with down the road.

Shimano Acera are reliable low level trigger shifters if cost is a concern...you can go one better to Shimano Alivio for a little bit more......When you decide to fully upgrade the brakes, consider an entry level hydraulic brake set...Tektro Draco and Avid Elixir 1's are most common...Figure around 75 80 dollars for some hydraulics...These come complete with handles, pre bleed and ready to install...Talk to me first before upgrading the stock brakes...i have some tips to make the stock brakes perform much better for very little cost untill you decide you want something else or even need something else...Despite the cheesy feel of the stock handles they will hold up better than plastic ones.

The best possible mechanical brakes you can go with (should you choose mechanical) are AVID BB7 with Avid speed dial 7 brake levers and quality brake cables from jagwire or shimano...Despite being mechanical these will cost you more than the entry level hydraulic brakes and considering to get the best from them you NEED the speed dial 7 handles and good cables as well as quality rotors, its alot more money actually....They are great and the best you can get for a mechanical but hydraulics are a dream to have over a mechanical system in general...No excuse really to have mechanical brakes anymore...Its night and day difference..Sort of like an old car with drum brakes versus todays hydraulic power brakes...no comparison

Before you spend a penny on it , go over it and check everything...try to get the stock stuff working for you so you know what youre starting with and will recognize an upgrade when you get one...You can buy the best of everything and if you dont understand how to set it all up ,it wont be a pleasant experience..Worse comes to worse , a local bike shop can work on it for you.

Looking forward to seeing the bike..Congrats.
6sharky9

Next

Return to 29ers