Genesis n9ne or Mongoose stat 4.2

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Genesis n9ne or Mongoose stat 4.2

Postby damian015 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:08 am

6sharky9 wrote:The shimano ST-EF51 are an upgrade somewhat but ,consider its an all built into one unit..Meaning if you decide to go with different brakes such as hydraulic youll have to replace the shifters also..The same for shifters...if you want even better shifters you need to buy separate brake handles...Also consider if you have an internal shifter problem you have to replace the whole thing or vice versa for the brakes..mainly handle breakage as they are plastic...No room here for future upgrades.

I would strongly recommend separate component upgrades to grow with down the road.

Shimano Acera are reliable low level trigger shifters if cost is a concern...you can go one better to Shimano Alivio for a little bit more......When you decide to fully upgrade the brakes, consider an entry level hydraulic brake set...Tektro Draco and Avid Elixir 1's are most common...Figure around 75 80 dollars for some hydraulics...These come complete with handles, pre bleed and ready to install...Talk to me first before upgrading the stock brakes...i have some tips to make the stock brakes perform much better for very little cost untill you decide you want something else or even need something else...Despite the cheesy feel of the stock handles they will hold up better than plastic ones.

The best possible mechanical brakes you can go with (should you choose mechanical) are AVID BB7 with Avid speed dial 7 brake levers and quality brake cables from jagwire or shimano...Despite being mechanical these will cost you more than the entry level hydraulic brakes and considering to get the best from them you NEED the speed dial 7 handles and good cables as well as quality rotors, its alot more money actually....They are great and the best you can get for a mechanical but hydraulics are a dream to have over a mechanical system in general...No excuse really to have mechanical brakes anymore...Its night and day difference..Sort of like an old car with drum brakes versus todays hydraulic power brakes...no comparison

Seeing this post gives me a reality check. I really dont know crap about bikes ;) ...thanks for all the useful info. Im planning to get the bike and attempt to put it together hopefully with the help of you guys and use it for a bit. Get the hang of things and then make decisions about upgrades. I will post pics and videos when I get it

Before you spend a penny on it , go over it and check everything...try to get the stock stuff working for you so you know what youre starting with and will recognize an upgrade when you get one...You can buy the best of everything and if you dont understand how to set it all up ,it wont be a pleasant experience..Worse comes to worse , a local bike shop can work on it for you.

Looking forward to seeing the bike..Congrats.
damian015

Postby 6sharky9 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:24 am

damian015 wrote....."Seeing this post gives me a reality check. I really dont know crap about bikes  ...thanks for all the useful info. Im planning to get the bike and attempt to put it together hopefully with the help of you guys and use it for a bit. Get the hang of things and then make decisions about upgrades. I will post pics and videos when I get it"

You can take 2 paths really with any bike..An expensive one or a smart one..Sometimes having the best parts dont mean very much unless you can actually push them to their capabilities to see that difference...A 500 dollar front fork is a waste of money if youre just going to hit the local family trails...The same with most any other parts as well.

I have a bike with sram x4 shifting components on it...Ive had my bike for well over one year and still to this day havent felt the need to install *upgraded" sram x7 and x9 parts (which i have) to replace it with..Its just been dead reliable....The cost between x4 and x7/X9 is a considerable amount and for what im doing i honestly dont NEED it as of yet.

Pick and choose your upgrades wisely and you can have alot of reliable fun without spending a fortune on it...It is nice to have alot of expensive parts on a bike but in some cases its just not needed.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby damian015 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Bike got home and I put it together. Wont be able to get it up to running conditions until my day off.

http://driversgarage.com/main/uploads/m ... 923921.jpg
damian015

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:35 pm

Congrats.
6sharky9

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Photo looks like it's it's a 7-chainwheel freewheel (not a cassette) and grip shifters. Don't despair. I actually like grip shifters. But then I still ride bikes with friction shifters on the downtube (hey, at least they're Campagnolo friction shift levers). Adjust them right and they'll work for a long time. That is a glorious bike. I love the paint job.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby 6sharky9 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:31 pm

Corporate MONGOOSE colors...gotta love it.
6sharky9

Postby damian015 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:56 am

wa_desert_rat wrote:Photo looks like it's it's a 7-chainwheel freewheel (not a cassette) and grip shifters. Don't despair. I actually like grip shifters. But then I still ride bikes with friction shifters on the downtube (hey, at least they're Campagnolo friction shift levers). Adjust them right and they'll work for a long time. That is a glorious bike. I love the paint job.

Thanks.
damian015

Postby scotth67 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:38 pm

This site really helped me narrow my choices. Thanks to the information here, I was able to get a Mongoose Stat 4.2 today assembled for the unbelievably low price of $165! It had some scratches on the handlebars, but I'll sand that and repaint it look good as new. Working on fine tuning it now, but it is already evident that this is an improvement for my old 26" Next bike. I'm not certain the assembler did everything right, and I can't find a lot of information at the www.mongoose.com website. If anyone knows where details for this bike might be posted, that would help. In the mean time, if I find it I'll post more here.
scotth67

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:36 pm

Unfortunately, it won't site to on mongoose. Their Walmart bikes get no love. You'll find their higher end stuff on the site.

Since of the guys here have some specs, but just from what they measured. What all do you want to know?
Falkon45

Previous

Return to 29ers