Just ordered the XR-PRO

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Just ordered the XR-PRO

Postby JustAnotherBiker » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:01 pm

Hey guys, first time here but I've been lurking for a week or so as I was looking for a new bike for technical trails and trails in general, I decided on the XR PRO after seeing everything good that has been said about it.

It will be here on Wednesday hopefully and I just want to learn before it gets here so I don't waste any time.

My main question is what do I need to go through when I put it together, I've heard they are usually not greased very well, so where do I need to focus on greasing, and how tight does everything need to be. As well as the type of grease I need to use, I have some old military grease that I've used before when I want something to stay greased for a long time, but I feel like that will just attract dirt.

Basically a tutorial of what needs to be done when I assemble would be greatly appreciated. I've been riding for years but this will be the most expensive bike I've owned and I want to do it right from the start.

I know the rear "shock" is probably junk but I'll find out when I take it out.

Are there any simple mods that can be done to really make the bike better or last longer, not big components but simple things that can help.

I know I'm asking a lot here but I don't want to mess around and end up decreasing the life of my bike.

Thanks for reading and any help that you give
JustAnotherBiker

Re: Just ordered the XR-PRO

Postby Fuzzyplums » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:35 pm

YouTube is a wonder source of info if you need a visual aid to help you put the bike together. This forum is full of friendly folk that will help you if they can. You got your hands on a bike that a few people have not been able to get, so way to go!!! The grease you have should do just fine. I wish I could give you more help but I am still new to the bike scene myself. My main source of help has come from YouTube. When there is a real technical question, then the folk in this forum is your best bet. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your ride!!!
Fuzzyplums

Postby to the beach » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Search the forum, many XR-PRO threads here that cover pretty much every part of the bike. :)
to the beach

Postby cole.robinson.543 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:11 pm

Your bottom bracket, wheels and headset are the main places you need to grease. It would help to grease all your suspension pivot points as well. "Phil rc's xr-pro experience" is a great resource in this forum. The grease should be water resistant as all these parts are unsealed and will see water.
cole.robinson.543

Postby 6sharky9 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:14 pm

Typical marine grease is what i use.

Your bike will come 95 percent pre assembled already ,out of the box...Basically installing the front wheel and handle bars and pedals and reflectors..seat post and saddle....The brakes and all cables and derailleurs and crank is already pre installed and supposedly adjusted...Chances are, not correctly.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Return to 29ers