Noo'B gett'n a MG ledge 3.1

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Noo'B gett'n a MG ledge 3.1

Postby PLINKING.40 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Hey Ya'll, my new Ledge 3.1, from WM should be here Sat. I need to get back into shape and Do something on the off Boring days, Like I need a new Hobby...HA.!, Not.! to many toys as is..Anyway, I have been Lurking here about needed "Upgrades" for the Ledge, and read post all the way back to 2011, about what some of you Gents put in, and replaced or Moded it out, I am 6'6" and 235lbs, and was just guna ride around the neighborhood, and some back trails around the parks and back dirt roads, My question is is there a list from all of your 3.1 ledge brainy acts out there that has some recommendations on "Drop In" parts , as of rear shocks , front forks, and maybe upgrades to the front disc brakes, with out pulling out the CNC shop and a Dremel .?
But I did see some of the $$ for front forks, and Heck no, Not dropping $200 on that. Nope.!.
but maybe in the $100 "Max" range, Not sure if that is just unrealistic, on my thinking process. :oops: I saw BB7's upgrades (if a newer option is out there), and disc brakes, and $30 new saddle, (herd the stock Hurts), and a new shock around $60, is do able,....OK, the stage is Yours...Chime in Please, And thanks for the Invite..

Gary
PLINKING.40

Re: Noo'B gett'n a MG ledge 3.1

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:54 pm

A bit optimistic on what its going to cost for upgrades....With some of those prices ranges you mention, you may can do good with some used parts as upgrades....A decent replacement fork is at least 150 or more and its just a better spring type fork..Not a huge upgrade but better than stock...A rear shock you can find maybe but its going to be pretty much the same style spring loaded shock.

I would assemble it and ride it for a bit to see what you think it might need..If its pretty much tame dirt roads and the local park "family" trails, you really wont need much in the way up upgrading the suspension...We all want things we dont need but it sounds like your budget can be better spent for you, providing the trails arent very aggressive.

I would start with basic parts like a lighter weight stem and seat post and handle bars...some decent grips...Maybe better pedals..Maybe see how the stock tires work for you on your terrain...Sometimes the little things can make more of a difference in your ride.

The minimum of a fork i would put on that bike is a rockshox XC32 or maybe a suntour XCR which is suntours best spring fork.

You can actually improve greatly the performance of the stock promax front disc brake with a little effort and a few bolt on upgrades.

1.) The brake levers suck... At minimum try some Avid BB5 brake levers and some jagwire brake cables to get more power applied to the caliper...Also the pads are sort of cheap..Some better pads will make a big difference...Not sure who makes upgrade pads for promax mechanical brakes however.

The front disc needs to be sanded (in a criss cross pattern on both sides) with some 180 grit to create "scratch grooves" which will allow the pads to grab much better...This can however wear the pads down a little faster.

For the rear brakes maybe some upgrade shoes from kool stop and again better jagwire cables and an avid BB5 lever.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Yeah, 6sharky9 beat me to it with the fork. Add it seems, don't worry about upgrades other than saddle and pedals. Tune the hell out of the bik, though. Then, as you advance, you can upgrade the bike as needed. Good thing is, later, if you want to go full disc, you can. You have the disc tabs to do so.

You don't need to worry much about weight, either, but I feel the bike may be small for you. Ride it a bit, and if it feels a bit cramped, look into a longer stem and longer seatpost. Those will be lighter than stock anyway. Lol.

Have fun on your trails.
Falkon45

Postby PLINKING.40 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:54 pm

I looked into the Avid BB7 brake caliper and front rotor, and the SD-7 brake levers for an upgrade..Ya'll think they will work as a "drop in" fit for my 3.1.? Price was very reasonable for the Lot..
Gary
PLINKING.40

Postby 6sharky9 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:38 pm

PLINKING.40 wrote:I looked into the Avid BB7 brake caliper and front rotor, and the SD-7 brake levers for an upgrade..Ya'll think they will work as a "drop in" fit for my 3.1.? Price was very reasonable for the Lot..
Gary

I dont see why you would need to modify anything to use BB7 brakes..Hydraulics can be drop in as well.

I suppose just knowing how to adjust and fit the cables is the hardest part...the rest should just be bolt on.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby PLINKING.40 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:14 pm

well finally got my 3.1, after they lost the first one, got it all together, and put Slime in the tubes(bad thorns out here)and have new BB7 front brake & 160mm rotor, & and sd-7 brake levers on the way, (don't like the factory ones.! (to Flimsy)I do want to upgrade the tyer's though, my question is that i see a lot of different sizes and "Folded" and "wire" bead out there, the size on the tire says 29x1.95 (700x50c) can I get a 29"x2.25, and it would fit, with just a tad more width, and if i need a back up "Tubes" what size should I look for for a perfect match..Been away from bike Mumbo-Jumbo for a good 30yrs...
Gary..THX
PLINKING.40

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:32 pm

I have 2.25 on my stat. They fit just fine. Your current tubes are good for that size. You'll want to stay with Schrader tubes for your wheels. I have done a presta tube in a Schrader wheel. It works, but you have a good bit of play that could kill the tube. I did it on 700c wheels that I haven't ridden yet. Doing a quick build and can do some rides. I'll let you know how it works out.

Folding bead and wire bead are what's in the bead of the tire. Some are fabric (folding) and some are... Wire. Wire bead does better on rough terrain, and won't come out the wheel as easy when blown. You will want some METAL tire levers to install them.

Folding are lighter, and easier to install, but can be prone to demount on too low a tire pressure. No big deal as long as you stay within the recommended pressure on the tire.
Falkon45

Postby PLINKING.40 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks Falkon45, I was looking at some Maxxis, and Continentals, I was wondering if anybody knows, or has had "have" a set of tires they would recommend that has a great strong sidewall that is good for keeping Snake bites to a minimum, and a good lasting but not to hard tread compound for longevity for back dirt roads, and a lot of un-groomed asphalt streets, that will last but not kill the bank acct., but will pay for what is worth for the quality...Any suggestions on models and manufactures to look into for along these lines....? Just have the stock "WB" or what ever they are that came on the 3.1...
Gary
PLINKING.40

Postby Falkon45 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Are you going to end up in a lot of mud? If not, kenda small block 8s or slant 6s will be good for you. Fast rolling, good wear, great on asphalt or dry to moist ground. Terrible in mud, though. Just... Terrible in mud. Lol. I like them, though.

My other ones, I haven't really ridden enough to give a good review on. My venzo tires seem pretty good. Great in mud, but haven't taken the bike in any real slop yet. I also can't tell you much about the wear.
Falkon45

Postby PLINKING.40 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:48 pm

THX Falkon, I was just trying to stay clear from brands with a bad Rep. and just look under the High end manufactures that put a lot of great thought into there quality control, and have great feed back on the lines they make and keep people coming back...Like i said i will pay more for something that is worth it, Rather not have to change tires out due to poor wear or lack of good castings..Which ones would Ya'll stick with and one's you wouldn't even buy if the deal was a Steal...?
PLINKING.40

Next

Return to 29ers