Schwinn DSB 700c to 29er commuter..

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Schwinn DSB 700c to 29er commuter..

Postby jasnooks » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:41 am

Besides taking my old mountain bike to the grocery store, I've been out of biking for many years.
I finally got tired of mooching rides all over the place, and the rides were tired of it too, lol. Also at 44 years old I decided that my tired body needed to get some exercise.
So i picked this up 3 weeks ago for my 21+ Mile daily commute to/from work, grocery getter, running errands, and recreational rides. Basically my main means of transportation besides the bus or mooching a ride.

I went with a hybrid instead of a road bike because the roads in this area are pretty rough. I find myself riding sidewalks most of the time. Less potholes, and with no dedicated bike lane on my commute, I just feel safer on the sidewalk (Had a few close calls riding the road already). Also use it for recreational rides on hard packed dirt trails. No crazy mountain bike trails, but just to rough for a road bike. Plus, road bikes just aren't my style.

Anyways, I got this at Walmart for $270 out the door.
After doing the tweaking/adjusting that comes with BBB's, it seems like a decent/solid bike for my needs, besides a few things..
1) The pedals suck. The cages started falling off after 40 miles, and I couldn't keep the Phillips screw's tight, even with thread locker. Plus the bearings were rough from day one.
2) The freewheel is loose. Not sure when this happened, I just noticed it at about 250 miles.
3) The bottom bracket has a small amount of play, and the low "clunk" sound every once in a while.
4) The bottom of the line zoom suspension fork isn't very rigid, and will eventually have to be replaced. Probably with a non suspension cro-moly fork. The Surly Ogre has all the right specs.
5) And lastly, the tires.. The fine center tread was about half gone (front and rear) at about 150 miles. Also I decided that the 700c x 38's just didn't fit my riding style or weight (about 215lbs.). I had to lower the pressure so much to get a somewhat comfortable ride that they were almost flat when I sat on the bike.

I removed the plastic chain ring guard and plastic trim piece, rear spoke "protector", kickstand, and all the stickers that were peelable. All useless items in my opinion.

Here's the list of goodies as it sits now..
4" rise alloy bars $25
Meet Locks pedals $26
Halo front wheel hex key skewer $9
Schwinn handlebar bag $10
Schwinn seatpost rack $20
Schwinn air pump $15
The Friendly Swede bottle cage $9
Zefal 33oz. water bottle $9
Bungee cords $3
3M tape on chain stay $3
Goodyear 29x2 tubes $6 x2
Serfas Drifter 29x2 tires $27 x2
Giant alloy seatpost. Came off my old bike, don't remember what I paid for it.
And the tool kit..
Crank Brothers M19 multi tool $20
6" Adjustable wrench $5
Slime tube repair kit with levers $7
20-120 pressure gauge $5

Total of $240 in parts/accessories plus the initial cost of the bike comes to $510. Not to bad for a reliable commuter/weekend toy.

Now I just need to find a reflector, or maybe a light for the rear rack.
Might also get a headlight, rear rack bag, and a cheap bike computer.
And eventually replace the BB bearing, freewheel, and fork..

Comments, criticism, and ideas are more than welcome.

And here's how it sits now..
jasnooks

Re: Schwinn DSB 700c to 29er commuter..

Postby jasnooks » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:28 am

Also does anybody know if these decals have clear coat over them? Has anybody successfully removed them, besides sanding and repainting? Their the really thin ones that have a somewhat visible edge, but can't really feel it.
I'd really like to remove them (to gaudy for my taste), but I'd rather keep them on if it means ruining the finish.
jasnooks

Postby Falkon45 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:13 am

A lot of newer schwinns decals are under the clear coat.

Like the bike, man. Looks good. If you're looking to replace the fork, suntour has a 700c suspension one. I don't know if any other. But, your to the point of a straight up 29er fork. Just get something with low travel.
Falkon45

Postby jasnooks » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:45 pm

That's what I figured on the decals. I guess I'm hoping for some magical answer. Lol.
As for the fork, I'm undecided on suspension or rigid. I'm leaning towards rigid simply because of the lack of maintenance required.
jasnooks

Postby Falkon45 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:21 pm

Ridged would be a good idea. There's plenty of those around. And since have disc tabs, in case we ever want to go with disc on the front.
Falkon45

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:24 am

You're smart to stay on the sidewalks. I know that we are supposed to ride on the road but that's deadly nowadays. And, anyway, there are no pedestrians on the sidewalks (at least not where I live) until you get right into the middle of town. And most of them are walking to their cars (or from them).

That should make a sweet commuter.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:28 am

As we roll into winter start collecting appropriate clothing. Polypro works well. I've had mixed luck with GoreTex but when it's done right it's excellent as an outer layer. It depends upon where you live, but I use a snow-boarder helmet in the winter because they usually have ear flaps but keep the weight down. This is a good time to buy them on clearance (I got mine for $30 or so).
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby jasnooks » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:57 am

Falkon, I was surprised to see disc tabs and a cable guide on this cheapo zoom fork. But the more I think about it, it's probably cheaper/easier for the manufacturer in the long run to just have one fork for different bikes.

Rat, I come across a few pedestrians on my commute. Nothing like a New York city sidewalk, maybe one every mile or so depending on the time of day. I just slow down and give them the right of way. Not that I have to slow down much, I'm not out setting any land speed records, lol. I'm slowly getting in better shape, but for now, slow and steady wins the race..

I live in Michigan, so I'm kind of dreading the winter commute.
I have a bunch of winter clothing that I used to use for hunting, and still use for ice fishing. I have a good combination of layers that keeps me warm and dry, although it may be a bit bulky on a bike.
I'll have to dig that stuff out, and see what I can come up with. And see if I need to buy anything. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't really thought about winter yet, I'm more concerned with trying to stay cool right now, lol.

And thanks for the compliments guys. I know this bike isn't the best, but it gets the job done. I'll eventually upgrade to better components as things start breaking out wearing out.
jasnooks

Postby jasnooks » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:02 am

Forgot to say that I've been lurking here since I bought this bike, and its nice to have a forum where people aren't judged because they don't have the best of the best.
Great site!
jasnooks

Postby Falkon45 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:56 am

Well, a lot of these bikes still come with disc brakes. More than likely, that same fork is on some of Schwinn's 29ers as they share components. But yes, the Ridgid forks come with disc tabs also. You may not need it, but it's nice to know it's there.
Falkon45

Next

Return to 29ers