Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Schwinn DSB 700c to 29er commuter..

Postby jasnooks » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:10 am

Definitely nice to have the option.
jasnooks

Postby jasnooks » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:40 am

Well, after a couple thousand miles, the drivetrain finally bit the dust. Actually it was just the crank arms that were never properly torqued down (my fault for not checking them, even though the owners manual said to). .
Anyways, I'm looking at new cranks, and rings. And i figure while I'm doing that, i might as well replace the bb, freewheel, chain, the meat lock pedals that exploded on me, and the bent rear axel..
Total cost, including the specialty tools comes to almost $200.
I'm seriously considering just buying a new bike, tearing it down and building it properly..
My biggest issue with this bike is that the cranks weren't properly torqued from the factory.
My early 2003 Kent has low miles compared to this pile, but not nearly as many issues
jasnooks

Postby jasnooks » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:47 am

Sorry for the poor explanation and grammar, I'm just frustrated
jasnooks

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:12 am

Sometimes, it's best to just park it. let it sit for a while and order a few parts at a time. Cranksets on Ebay are affordable, I got a 3 chain deal from a seller on there for less than I could buy a single chain at the LBS. Really, $200 in maintenance and/or upgrades in a couple of thousand miles isn't bad. Many riders will spend more than that for an upgrade wheelset, whether it's a BBB or an LBS bike. A few months ago, I had a new DSB off of the rack, and nearly brought it home. They're really heavy duty looking combination bikes. I'm not sure what I'd choose to replace a DSB. It might be hard to find anything that matches their qualities. Whatever you do, don't write a whole bike off, just because a crank arm went south. Cranks are replaceable, axles are replaceable, pedals are replaceable, modern bikes are made to be serviced and keep on clicking along.
Tomcat65

Postby jasnooks » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:17 am

Tomcat65 wrote:Sometimes, it's best to just park it. let it sit for a while and order a few parts at a time. Cranksets on Ebay are affordable, I got a 3 chain deal from a seller on there for less than I could buy a single chain at the LBS. Really, $200 in maintenance and/or upgrades in a couple of thousand miles isn't bad. Many riders will spend more than that for an upgrade wheelset, whether it's a BBB or an LBS bike. A few months ago, I had a new DSB off of the rack, and nearly brought it home. They're really heavy duty looking combination bikes. I'm not sure what I'd choose to replace a DSB. It might be hard to find anything that matches their qualities. Whatever you do, don't write a whole bike off, just because a crank arm went south. Cranks are replaceable, axles are replaceable, pedals are replaceable, modern bikes are made to be serviced and keep on clicking along.

I have no problem spending a couple bills on upgrades, the frustration is mainly because I'm broke right now [PENSIVE FACE]
jasnooks

Postby dddd » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:11 am

This one looks great, and I like the way that the rear rack drops down as low as it can without hitting the tire! Makes climbing on/off the bike easier when a tall bag isn't in the way.

The build reminds me of what I did with my Schwinn Broadway hybrid, adding 29er tires and keeping the V-brakes so as to make life easier on the flexy stock fork. I don't get any brake-steer like I would if there was a brake caliper twisting the left lower leg backward every time I stabbed the front brake. I did add rubber boots to the fork when I rebuilt it, and the stock fork was the easiest to rebuild that I've had.

dddd

Previous

Return to 29ers