Help me, buying new bike

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Help me, buying new bike

Postby neo71665 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:14 pm

Been lurking for awhile and I need some help. I haven't been into bikes since about 92-93 so I really have no idea about the newer stuff. I'm looking for a good trail bike that will be ridden round on the farm (rough pasture and woods) 90% of the time. The other 10% will be just some joy ridding on some blacktop and rough roads for 10-20 miles at tops. All relatively flat with no major speed hills, jumps, or drops. I want an aluminum frame, disk brakes, 29 incher, and a front suspension. Would like trigger shifters and 20-24 gearing. Would like to keep it in the sub $400 range. I hate the color red and really don't feel like media blasting and powder coating a brand new bike.

So far I have found
Mongoose stat 4.2
2015 Dawes HayMaker 2900 (BD doesn't have the size in a color I like)
2015 Motobecane 529HT 29er
Motobecane Fantom29 SPORT

I'm 6'2, about 150ish lbs, and have a 32 inch inseam. Figured something with a 19 inch frame was what I'm needing. My main question is out of those picks what would you guys go for? I'm also open to any other suggestions. Thanks
neo71665

Re: Help me, buying new bike

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:29 pm

The mongoose may be a little small for you. Mine is almost too small for me.

The Dawes haymaker 2900 is impressive. Gold, blue, and red are in your size (20” would be what you want).

Motobecane fantom sport comes equipped almost exactly like the Hayes, but is a littler smaller. The 19" might feel a little small.

The 529ht is my fave. Hydro brakes, SRAM components (I'm partial to SRAM), but still has the same stuff as the other bikes, but for the same price. Again, sizes are a little small, but for that price, a stem could easily fix that issue. Man, I wonder if I could just buy the frame? That could be my stat replacement.
Falkon45

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:31 pm

When I was bike hunting a couple weeks ago, I was hawking eBay, craigslist and my LBS consignments. Craigslist was simply a bust, seems most people want as much as they bought it for 10 years ago (LOL)!! eBay is where I saw most of the intriguing deals. Some dealers have demos or leftovers from previous years. Even after shipping costs, some were really good deals. Bikes direct has a good rep and the bikes specs look decent, but they are not as good of a deal as they would have you think. I mean they "claim" a MSRP of like $2300, on sale for $999, but the bike specs out like any other $999-$1099 bike. The down side to ordering on-line is that you can't sit on it or ride it around the block.
Niner Jet9 - My last Price-Point purchase before they closed
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:31 am

Forget the color and go and get the Schwinn fire wire 4.0.That bike has all the specs you want and looks like a bike people will keep for a long time.There is no such deal here in Europe for 200usd but if there was the bike would be sold out immediately.
Purple Haze

Postby neo71665 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:52 am

My biggest problem is my LBS is 1.5 hours away one way, way overpriced, and highly elitist towards road bikes. The 3 closest wal-marts are 30 minutes one way and they only stock the lowest of low end. I've been checking CL for about 3 weeks and most everything is kids bikes. The adult bikes are the same lower end wal-mart bikes they carry in store. If I'm gonna get a bike I might as well buy one new vs having to rebuild a trashed one because it wasn't set up correctly.

Most everybody around here gets an atv and leave bikes as soon as they are big enough to pull a crank rope/turn a key. Guilty of the same.

The motobecane 529ht in black is really what I'm leaning towards
neo71665

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:21 pm

The 529 ht is a darn good choice for the money bar none.Get tools with it and watch you tube for any adjustments necessary.
Purple Haze

Postby Falkon45 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Man, I could buy the 529ht, move all my stat components to it, move the stock components to my stat, and have two great 29ers... Decisions, decisions....
Falkon45

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:51 pm

That's a good point Falkon :D
Purple Haze

Postby 6sharky9 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:49 pm

The motobecane is an excellent deal and i would recommend it over anything in its price or even less...from your description of terrain you wouldnt really need to replace or upgrade much of anything on it...My experience with the suntour crank and fork as well as the sram componants has been an excellent one...going on close to 3yrs now i think and not a single failure with anything...the tektro hydro brakes as well...they work great for what they are once broken in.

Do yourself a favor and go with the motobecane...shipping is free.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Return to 29ers