Genesis GS29 help

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Genesis GS29 help

Postby Frozone » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:22 am

Yo. Long time i been missing. I had a older genesis (black/orange) that I changed a bunch of things on. BUT....that got stolen. So now im back here again. got the gs29 from walmart the black/green version. Good bike, just needs some major adjustments. It has zero rolling ability, i can't cruise at all and constantly need to keep pedaling. Not sure if this is crank/bb related or because the tires/wheels and myself weight quite a bit (250 +) I did change my seat and pedals which was a great improvement.

So quick points

What size BB/crank set works for this guy and What wheels? I don't feel like messing with the gearing/shifters/ casseste as they are pretty accurate and do what i need (mostly tarmac/very light trails) I'm trying to do the minimum i can to make this guy smoother for 6+ mile rides without changing to much (aka spending much). I feel like most of my resistance is coming from these heavy stock wheels/tires. So that might be my first switch, if its feasible.
Frozone

Re: Genesis GS29 help

Postby 6sharky9 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:45 pm

The wheels and tire choice will make the biggest difference in the rolling resistance...Just overall weight in general is also a culprit of poor rolling resistance.

Most of the stock wheels use the cheaper old style bearing assembly...i would make sure they are clean and properly greased

The better wheels use a sealed cartridge bearing and are a much better at losing friction.

Tires with a wide aggressive tread pattern for digging into dirt are generally poor for pavement use....I use WTB velociraptor tires and they flat out suck on smooth pavement ....they even have that 4x4 tire howl to them....You can get off/on road style tires with a much closer tread pattern that will help improve the problem...Make sure you have the proper amount of air in the tires as well.

I would change tires first before anything and see how that helps you out.
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:23 pm

First off turn the bike upside down and see if the wheels spin freely and make sure the wheel is all the way back in the slots that hold the wheel.Second see if there is something rubbing against the wheel like brake pads etc.Third take the wheel off and spin it while holding the center hubs and if it dosent spin and there is no visible sign of corrosion or damage loosen the nut slightly where the rubber cone that protects the bearings is.Loosen the nut until the wheel spins freely and reinstall.Repeat the procedure on the other wheel until they roll freely.Dont know exactly bottom bracket size but 68 by 113 would be my guess but unless you hear a crunching or ratcheting sound that's not the problem.
Purple Haze

Postby Frozone » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:33 pm

6sharky9 wrote:The wheels and tire choice will make the biggest difference in the rolling resistance...Just overall weight in general is also a culprit of poor rolling resistance.

Most of the stock wheels use the cheaper old style bearing assembly...i would make sure they are clean and properly greased

The better wheels use a sealed cartridge bearing and are a much better at losing friction.

Tires with a wide aggressive tread pattern for digging into dirt are generally poor for pavement use....I use WTB velociraptor tires and they flat out suck on smooth pavement ....they even have that 4x4 tire howl to them....You can get off/on road style tires with a much closer tread pattern that will help improve the problem...Make sure you have the proper amount of air in the tires as well.

I would change tires first before anything and see how that helps you out.

perfect! I went to my LBP for a tune up (65 not bad) I also got some lower resistance tires. They said the crank was smooth, the brakes were great, just needs some basic stuff. Which i thought was great! Def suggested wheels first over anything. In case it does need new wheels how would i find what size or style works for mine? I know its got some older equipment so the new fancy ones wont fare well with it.
Frozone

Postby Frozone » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:36 pm

Purple Haze wrote:First off turn the bike upside down and see if the wheels spin freely and make sure the wheel is all the way back in the slots that hold the wheel.Second see if there is something rubbing against the wheel like brake pads etc.Third take the wheel off and spin it while holding the center hubs and if it dosent spin and there is no visible sign of corrosion or damage loosen the nut slightly where the rubber cone that protects the bearings is.Loosen the nut until the wheel spins freely and reinstall.Repeat the procedure on the other wheel until they roll freely.Dont know exactly bottom bracket size but 68 by 113 would be my guess but unless you hear a crunching or ratcheting sound that's not the problem.

yep. we checked all that stuff out. I had no idea how heavy the wheels for this bike where till we compared them with another customers bike (not a crazy expesnive one but a 29) Big difference. also i had those wide big tread blocks so when i ride all you here is zhahahh zhaaa zhhaa zhaaa as i plugged along. Super excited about the new tires. I work/ride/SCCA track run cars and bikes (CBR) Idk why i didn't think to transfer any of that over to here haha. weight reduction, LRR, areo all the stuff that i care about on my petrol toys should also apply here ahha.

Thank you for the tips as well!
Frozone

Postby 6sharky9 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:58 am

I would see how the tires work for you first..Most any stock wheel unless on a high end expensive bike are going to be heavy.

Another thing to consider are the tubes....you can purchase light weight tubes but ,they arent as tough as the heavy thicker tubes like you have in your bike now and can be more prone to "pinch flats"or popping...Between tires and tubes you should notice a significant improvement with how it rides.

Keep in mind because a tire has a narrower tread pattern doesnt mean its any lighter than your stock tires...doing some research can yield you a better tire with less rolling resistance and weight.

I wouldnt go for wheels just yet personally...Good quality wheels will cost you more than the bike itself...most of the wheels you can get for less may not be that much lighter to be considered a significant improvement with the exception to a wheel set with sealed bearings as an improvement, if anything.....Use the bike for what it is with a few simple upgrades and if you decide to stick with riding or want to do much more aggressive riding then i would consider investing in a different bike all together...Your description to what you are using the bike for doesnt sound very aggressive to where you need to replace or upgrade everything on the bike..even the stock fork will do its job in this case.

I personally would just lighten the bike up some with replacing the basics like the stem and handle bars and seat post to lighter pieces along with your tires...Maybe some better pedals and just ride it.

Chances are you are going to run into crank bearing failure (bottom bracket)... this is pretty common on the BBB models...replacing that before it happens would be considered a solid investment to the reliability of the bike.
6sharky9

Postby Frozone » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:42 am

6sharky9 wrote:I would see how the tires work for you first..Most any stock wheel unless on a high end expensive bike are going to be heavy.

Another thing to consider are the tubes....you can purchase light weight tubes but ,they arent as tough as the heavy thicker tubes like you have in your bike now and can be more prone to "pinch flats"or popping...Between tires and tubes you should notice a significant improvement with how it rides.

Keep in mind because a tire has a narrower tread pattern doesnt mean its any lighter than your stock tires...doing some research can yield you a better tire with less rolling resistance and weight.

I wouldnt go for wheels just yet personally...Good quality wheels will cost you more than the bike itself...most of the wheels you can get for less may not be that much lighter to be considered a significant improvement with the exception to a wheel set with sealed bearings as an improvement, if anything.....Use the bike for what it is with a few simple upgrades and if you decide to stick with riding or want to do much more aggressive riding then i would consider investing in a different bike all together...Your description to what you are using the bike for doesnt sound very aggressive to where you need to replace or upgrade everything on the bike..even the stock fork will do its job in this case.

I personally would just lighten the bike up some with replacing the basics like the stem and handle bars and seat post to lighter pieces along with your tires...Maybe some better pedals and just ride it.

Chances are you are going to run into crank bearing failure (bottom bracket)... this is pretty common on the BBB models...replacing that before it happens would be considered a solid investment to the reliability of the bike.

thanks much for the advice. i tend to want to rush and just get it all done at one. I'm just super hype to pick up the bike tomorrow and give it a world. one thing i noticed is that i put to much weight on my hands like the bars are too low. So i may need to replace the stem/bars as i heard thats as high as it goes
Frozone

Postby Frozone » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:15 am

wanted to post back and say thanks!!! the tires made a HUGE difference ( i also changed the tubes cause they were shite)

I can ride much eaiser now. very much worth it. Now i want to change the derailer. The front and rear as ok at best. any viable and affordalbe solutions? mostly tarmac and some local park trails at best so nothing hard core, just would like some more secure shifting.
Frozone

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:31 pm

First off go to youtube and readjust and align both derailleurs.It might take you several tries but it is well worth it and will result in fast positive shifts everytime.If that doesent work then Microshift has what you need for cheap.
Purple Haze

Postby 6sharky9 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Frozone wrote:wanted to post back and say thanks!!! the tires made a HUGE difference ( i also changed the tubes cause they were shite)

I can ride much eaiser now. very much worth it. Now i want to change the derailer. The front and rear as ok at best. any viable and affordalbe solutions? mostly tarmac and some local park trails at best so nothing hard core, just would like some more secure shifting.

Im glad the tires worked out good for you...yea, the stock tubes arent the best of quality used..Not a bad decision that you changed them.

As far as replacement derailleurs go, you have a ton of choices...Im not sure if you have twist shift or trigger shift but either way you can get alot better than factory.

Ill tell you what has been very solid for me and, thats SRAM X4 shift components.

Not sure if you are wanting to keep the shifters you have or not?...if so, some examples for an upgrade a notch or 2 that isnt too pricey would be something like the Shimano Acera derailleurs.

I would replace the rear first and see how you like it..Front derailleurs are pretty simple in the fact that ,if its adjusted properly, its going to do its job rather an expensive one or a cheap one..The rear is a bit more sophisticated however, makes the most difference in my experience with shifting....Not that you cant get a better shifting front derailleur ,its just it wouldnt be as big a difference than the rear and you may decide the front works just fine for you and invest the extra money someplace else on the bike that is needed.

Heres a small tip when adjusting a derailleur...you can watch all the videos you want on how to adjust them and rarely are they going to be correct...consider it more of a "ball park" starting point than anything...its one thing to get them to work properly on a bike stand and completely different when under load (in actual use)..So get it close with the videos and if you want it better than you'll have to shoot from the hip untill its working for you like you want it to....Adjust in small tiny increments and only do one change at a time..dont make 3 or 4 changes at a time as you wont know what helped you and what didnt.

You have quite a few choices as well for stems and handlebars to help fit you to the bike...What you need exactly i couldn't say as i'm not there to help fit you to the bike but, a quick way is with an adjustable stem..It swivels up or down to raise or lower stem/ handlebar height..I prefer a proper fitment the old fashioned way but, it's an option for you.

Keep us posted on your progress.
6sharky9

Next

Return to 29ers