Walmart Mongoose XR-PRO 29

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Walmart Mongoose XR-PRO 29

Postby 6sharky9 » Sat May 23, 2015 9:20 pm

You cant technically install a fork backwards...they only install one way and can turn 360 degrees with no cables or brake line attached....if anything the fork is just turned the wrong way before the stem and handlebars are installed...simple to loosen the stem and turn the fork....common mistake by many
2014 Motobecane 550HT (work in progress)
6sharky9

Postby jp2code » Tue May 26, 2015 6:22 am

Just registered, and I did not read all of the posts in this thread (most of which were really old anyway).

I'm here to say I picked up this XR Pro at WalMart yesterday for $180.

It was new, and they wanted $200. It had scratches on the handlebars from the bike rack it sat on for a while, so I easily got 10% knocked off.

I have not had much chance to put it to use, but I'm sure I will.

I don't care for the scribbled words painted onto the frame. I see it is supposed to say "Mongoose", but I can't read it. It just looks like someone vandalized my new bicycle to me.

I would like to find a decent kickstand, though. I'm not a huge fan of tossing my bicycle into the dirt when I'm not riding it, and I am not worried about dragging it when out on trails.

This is my 2nd Mongoose XR bicycle. My last one was the XR-200 below that my wife got me for Valentine's Day a few years ago when my other bicycle was stolen.

Overall, that XR-200 was a really good bicycle! I did not like the disc brake up front at first, but after riding with it for years I realized I like the disc setup a lot more than the old wheel-rim grabbers.

Most of my riding is on pavement (i.e. roads). There are potholes, railroad tracks, etc. to navigate, and a road bike's wheels get bent easily on those. The mountain bike setup of these also gives me the freedom to take shortcuts that are not really there yet - if you know what I mean.

So, why did I get another Mongoose XR? Someone stole my XR-200.
~Joe
jp2code

First Riding impressions:

Postby someonec » Fri May 29, 2015 8:33 am

Update:
I now have several more hours on the bike. Here are some quick thoughts.

Seat Post: It is too short for my short self. I'm 5'7" w inseam of 32 (maybe 30"), and this seat is way too short. I have it 1 to 2 inches above the "recommended" height when properly adjusted. I don't feel too comfortable w it over extended, but the only thing I use a seat for is smooth riding and climbing. At 183 lbs, it seems to have held up well over some tough trails. I will replace it once it breaks.

Rear Suspension: I had some stability issues. The rear end slid out around corners and I lacked a great deal of confidence. After looking over the rear end again, I saw that the rear wheel wiggled side to side 2". The little torque I put on the linkage bolts to allow free movement of the suspension, allowed a great deal of wiggle side to side. My next ride went much better, confidence in the newly rebuilt walmart bike increased greatly over the next several rides. The last ride, I was very rough on the bike putting almost all my confidence in its reliability and predictability.

Wheels: When first rebuilding the bike, I didn't true them (as I don't have that skill yet) and I didn't have them trued. I did a visual inspection of the rim's straightness, and with a wrench or fingernail tapping each spoke to verify they're all similar and consistent in sound pitch. This verifies to me the wheel is close to trued, and safe. After two rides, I did see a small wobble, maybe because the bike sat for a long time in a warehouse before I bought it, or maybe because wheels need to be trued again after they have settled during a couple rides. If you are unsure or are unable to verify the safty of a wheel, TAKE IT TO YOUR LBS (though I dislike greatly someone else working on my things, I know in this area I need help). I went to South Lake Cycles. I like two of the guys who work there. Not sure of the others.

Front Deraileur: I'm still having some issues getting it dialed in. I can't seem to get consistency going into the large gear. It isn't enough to cause me trouble on the trail or but it irritates me. Going between the two smaller gears I have no issues, and coming down I have no issues. But I just can't seem to get it to consistently go into the largest. Sometimes it takes a moment and it makes some racket.

Breaks: They're still doing great. They're not like the hydro's I've tried, and probably not close to BB7's that people really like, but they stop consistently with a two finger pull (middle and pointer fingers). I would like to only use one finger to keep more fingers on the bar for more confidence in tough sections, but it hasn't been worth upgrading at this point. The rear wheel slides/drags when I want it to; the front grabs as hard as I dare, but isn't able to lockup (I'd rather not have my front lockup going down tough sections. That'd be bad news) I'm still contemplating 180mm or 200mm disks for the ease of using 1 finger.

Conclusion: after several hours of riding... The bike handles great, the components are far better than I'd have thought, I look great on the trail, I'm still getting more confidence, my butt is getting used to the seat (I have a really heavy foam and gel seat on my blackcomb to keep my man parts interested in riding), it is a bigger and harder to move around than my smaller 26" blackcomb, it seems to be well worth upgrades to suspension or as things break, it is a beast to bunny hop. I would really like to get better breaks, and better shock/forks,(added bonus of droping weight)... but at spending $500 or more, I'd much rather enjoy what I have, known that it will make me a better rider once I do get more expensive parts.

**Update**
I did do some maintenance on my Blackcomb... old and heavily worn... I rebuilt the rear suspension linkage, cleaning and greasing everything, and rebuilt the bottom bracket as well... It handles so much better than it did. I had never done this on my Blackcomb (which I would have had my knowledge of bikes been better 8 years ago). It handles soooo much better. It removed all the 1 1/2 of play in the rear suspension and really helped with handling and confidence. I took it out after riding my XR-Pro several times during the week... I'm excited to have two very good handling walmart bikes.
someonec

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat May 30, 2015 8:56 am

jp2code wrote:
... I'm here to say I picked up this XR Pro at WalMart yesterday for $180....

So far I have not even *seen* an XR-Pro at any of the three local (within 30 miles) stores!!! Not even at the one I bought my Deception at. I mentioned this to the most local (5 miles away) store manager who told me that "no one here would buy a $300 bicycle". I am pretty sure she is wrong but there's no convincing them. The ways of Walmart are not for us mere mortals to understand...

So I think you got a screaming deal. And that scribbling on your frame is just a decal... a little time with your wife's (or gf's or sister's or mom's) hair dryer and that'll be gone.

I have not had a bike stolen from me yet... but I suppose it's only a matter of time. I've been riding since the 1950s though so if they're gonna do it they probably should get a move on.... not that much time left. :P

Congratulations on that deal. Keep usposted on what you do with it.

And welcome to the forum. :)
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby jp2code » Sat May 30, 2015 12:48 pm

The bicycle assembler told me they had 2 more still in the box back in their trailer.

If someone is willing to pay me up front and pay the shipping, I'll go see about getting them one.

wa_desert_rat wrote:Congratulations on that deal. Keep usposted on what you do with it.

Today, I dropped it off at a local bicycle shop for a good tuning and to make sure they assembled everything correctly (grease in the BB, etc).
~Joe
jp2code

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sun May 31, 2015 9:24 am

jp2code wrote:The bicycle assembler told me they had 2 more still in the box back in their trailer.

If someone is willing to pay me up front and pay the shipping, I'll go see about getting them one.

wa_desert_rat wrote:Congratulations on that deal. Keep usposted on what you do with it.

Today, I dropped it off at a local bicycle shop for a good tuning and to make sure they assembled everything correctly (grease in the BB, etc).

If I get another bike now it will be a fatbike. :P

But I'd like to at least *see* an XR-PRO for once. LOL

When I bought my Deception I took it the the local LBS for a new bottom bracket and a tune up. He also installed a better crankset and some decent pedals. All for $50.

Some Walmart assemblers are good at it and some aren't. But I think that applies to almost every place you go.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby jp2code » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:34 am

I went up there today to see if they would be willing to ship from their store to yours, but the people in the bicycle department were out for lunch.

Here is the one near me that has more XR Pro bikes still in the box:

http://www.walmart.com/store/399/details

Feel free to call them directly. As to speak to either Ron or Jeff in the Toy Department. They are the bicycle assemblers.

The person I spoke with said they should be able to do a store-to-store sale if the person was willing to cover the shipping costs and pay for the bicycle in advance.
~Joe
jp2code

Postby ZephyrX » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:03 am

finally got my crankset off after stripping the threads but I don't have the bottom bracket removal tool. Which one should I get?
ZephyrX

Postby Fireline » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:16 am

Hey Y'all. Been lurking a few days reading up on the XR-Pro I bought, soaking up info. Rode it an hour yesterday to fine tune some adjustments to fit. Went in the woods this morning(it's all flat here) and 20 minutes into it a stick kicks up and breaks the rear derailleur off. So now I'm cooling my heals waiting for the replacement part to come from Pacific Cycle. The piece to break looked to be cast aluminum. Guess I need to read back and see if there's a more durable option.
Fireline

Postby Fireline » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:29 am

Couple Pics
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
Uhoh
photo 2.JPG (179.16 KiB) Viewed 376 times
photo 1.JPG
My new unit
photo 1.JPG (120.77 KiB) Viewed 376 times
Fireline