Walmart Mongoose XR-PRO 29

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Walmart Mongoose XR-PRO 29

Postby jp2code » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:44 am

What's up with that 2nd pic? Did your derailer snap?

I've noticed whenever I am pushing really hard on the pedals to get up a hill, the chain will occasionally slip a tooth on that back hub.

When I look closely at the hub, it appears that some of the teeth on it are angled but that they do not all angle the same way.

Is this the way the hub is supposed to be, or am I wearing the metal off of the teeth already?

Is there a better rear hub to replace this one with? I don't want a half-thousand dollar hub, either!
~Joe
jp2code

Postby Fireline » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:20 am

Stick kicked up and snapped the derailleur off. Piece broke right next to the pivot point that the whole derailleur turns on. Didn't see any other damage to the bike. Might need to find something a little more durable. Swear I wasn't abusing it. Small stick Less than 3/4's inch think put me out of service. Back to riding a couple of $100.00 beater bikes I've been using daily for the last month.
Fireline

Postby Falkon45 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:58 am

I can't remember if it came with an x4 or sx4 rear derailleur.

It's odd that it broke. They're pretty strong. Most of the guys here like shimano. I'm a SRAM fan, myself. But, if it was an sx4, x4 or x5 will be a good replacement, and still work with your shifters.
Falkon45

Postby Singletrack Mind » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Fireline wrote:Stick kicked up and snapped the derailleur off. Piece broke right next to the pivot point that the whole derailleur turns on. Didn't see any other damage to the bike. Might need to find something a little more durable.

Most times when someone says that their derailleur broke off what has actually happened is the derailleur hanger has broken. People to whom this has happened often then ask if they can get a more durable derailleur hanger - one that won't break as easily. There are more durable derailleur hangers available, but people should generally avoid them. The derailleur hanger is meant to sacrifice itself so that the derailleur and/or frame do not instead become bent or broken. The derailleur hanger is supposed to break.

Judging from your description and pictures it seems that your derailleur did in fact break. And, yes, there are better quality and stronger alternatives. (See recommendations provided by others above).

As long as you are asking Pacific Cycle to send you a new derailleur you should probably ask them to send you a new derailleur hanger as well. If your derailleur took a hard enough hit to break there's a good chance the derailleur hanger is bent as well. You can try to straighten them out, but they often break when bending them back. Even if your derailleur hanger is still straight it won't hurt to have a spare on hand for the next time.

I've not personally ordered anything from Pacific Cycle, but everyone here who has have remarked on how easy they are to work with.

Best of luck!
Singletrack Mind

Postby Fireline » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Got the new Derailleur and was having problems adjusting it. Turns out either the hanger or the frame where it mounts was bent. Took the derailleur off bent the hanger out a little and life was good again. New derailleur they sent me was Chrome instead of black. I also added Blue Raceface ODI locking grips. Hands were getting numb after riding for about 20 minutes. These seem more padded. Saw another forum member had a lot of blue and liked the look. New seat post for added height coming up next.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (152.56 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Fireline

Postby Fireline » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:54 am

So I ordered 2 hangers, 1 to replace the bent and another for a spare. Seems since the hanger got bent when damaged and bent back in shape it would be weakened and not something to rely on.
I also got into the brakes a little bit. The instructions in the manual were pretty useless but I worked it out by loosening the mounting bolts and getting the 1/32 clearance. Out the box there was some drag that you couldn't detect while riding but was easy to see once I got it in my bike rack.
So today I ride it after hardly using it for 2 days. There was a clunk whenever I was on the down stroke of the right pedal. It was about 4/10's of a mile out to my mailbox and about halfway on the return trip the clunking noise stopped. There was nothing hitting externally that I could detect. At this point I'm sort of assuming its a lubrication issue internally and I need to get inside and repack everything with grease.
Fireline

Postby jp2code » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:02 am

I've noticed the chain will slip a tooth sometimes on the back hub.

Generally, this only happens if I am pushing it hard, like going up a hill.

Can anyone tell me if this is a known issue? I sent an email to SR Suntour (makers of the forks, hub and chainwheel), but I have not heard back.
~Joe
jp2code

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:32 pm

With proper alignment your chain shouldn't slip ever and especially under power going uphill.Thats a great way to do serious damage to your sprockets both front and rear and needs to be addressed immediately or your chain and both sprockets front and rear will soon have to be replaced.I have the older version 24 speed altus and it shifts like a swiss watch evertime and under moderate power so I don't think that is problem with the xr pro.
Purple Haze

Postby jp2code » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:43 pm

Crappy cell phone photo, but can you see how the teeth are not all the same?

Do others with XR-Pro have this, too?

~Joe
jp2code

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:13 pm

I believe they are normal because I have them on my hg 51 shimano rear sprocket and I think those shark teeth help with smoother shifting,but I hope you noticed your sprocket teeth are not wearing evenly and that is a alignment problem.
Purple Haze

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers