Walmart Mongoose XR-PRO 29

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Walmart Mongoose XR-PRO 29

Postby frost314 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:52 pm

Total newbie here. I have had my XR pro for over a year. I was too heavy to actually ride. I am currently at 285 lbs and 5'11. Down 75lbs and still going. I am prepping my XR PRO to get riding soon. I have added a Fox Float R (04 model i believe)Image and am waiting for my 350mm seat post to arrive.

2 things I need a lil help with.

1. I am starting the DIY tubeless process but found a yellowish strip inside the stock wheels. Do i remove this prior to putting on the Gorilla tape?

2. I have a set of Zefal Toe clips that I want to add to my pedals but they wont fit due to the stock pedal design unless i swap my pedals from left to right and vice versa. Can this be done or would it cause an issue if i put the left pedal on the right side?

frost314

Postby Fireline » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:00 am

Threads on pedals are not the same. They can't be interchanged. Left side is reverse thread while right side is normal.
Fireline

Postby frost314 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:48 am

Fireline wrote:Threads on pedals are not the same. They can't be interchanged. Left side is reverse thread while right side is normal.
thanks for that info... does anybody know if the stock pedals are servicable or able to remove the bearings?
frost314

Postby jp2code » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:00 am

I bought some pedals for my son's bicycle at Walmart. They came with some sort of adapters that thread into the pedals. One set of adapters threaded conventionally, the other set had a normal and reverse thread adapter set. Only 1 size fit the bicycle, so I threw the other set in the recycle bin.
~Joe
jp2code

Postby Phil_RC_1 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:42 pm

frost314 wrote:
Fireline wrote:Threads on pedals are not the same. They can't be interchanged. Left side is reverse thread while right side is normal.
thanks for that info... does anybody know if the stock pedals are servicable or able to remove the bearings?

Yes they are, I cleaned and greased the bearings in mine a couple weeks ago. Once you get the pedal off the spindle, to service the bearings,, I suppose you could swap sides with the pedals as long as the spindles stay on the correct side.
Niner Jet9 - My last Price-Point purchase before they closed
XR-Pro
Phil_RC_1

Postby ealudewig » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Has anyone upgraded with the RaceFace crank and BB kit with the 2-speed and bashring kit from Jensen? Any alignment issues? What other changes need to be made to the front derailleur or handlebar shifter? Would it be wise to change to a 10-speed cassette (and chain) at the same time? I've already got a 10-speed shifter...do I need to change the rear derailleur too?

Thanks for your response to all these questions. I searched back 20 pages on the forum and didn't find these answers, so I apologize if someone has already answered them.
ealudewig

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:48 pm

If your talking about Sram xo 2x10 then you should have the system components that are also required and that does include the derailleur.Race face cranks may be compatible but you need the rest of the stuff front derailleur,cassette,both shifters and rear derailleur.Will it save weight? probably but the cost of these systems is astronomical and looks like money gouging, and if you don't race then you more than likely don't need it.
Purple Haze

Postby jp2code » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:25 pm

Speaking of that SRAM derailleur, does anyone else find the shifting levers rather messed up?

Push one lever to go up a gear; push another lever to go down a gear. Front and back operate the same.

When I try a quick glance down to check what gear I am in (and hence what gear I should change to), the front derailleur indicator goes Left to Right from Low to High gear.

The rear derailleur indicator goes backwards - Right to Left from Low to High gear.

I'd really like it if there were a way to change the rear derailleur indicator. Left to Right from Low to High is much more intuitive.

Was my bike assembled incorrectly, or does everyone else's do like mine?
~Joe
jp2code

Postby jp2code » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:35 pm

I had the Mongoose XR-200 before this XR-PRO.

The XR-PRO is a much better overall bicycle, but the XR-200 had the Shimano rear derailleur with SRAM twist shifters.

The twist shifters were much more intuitive ...for me.
~Joe
jp2code

Postby Falkon45 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:16 pm

Dear god! Where did X0 come from?!?!? I'm using X5 2x10, albeit I'm using it on my stat. I'm using trigger shifters (also X5) with no indicators. To be honest, I don't pay attention to what gear I'm in as I ride by feel, now. If you want to mix and match, all X4-XX works with each other as long as the number of gears match the cassette. My x5,x7, and x9 rear derailleurs can all be swapped between bikes and work without changing my rear shifters.

You can go 2x10, but you have to change the rear cassette, chain, and shifter to go 10 speed. You won't need to change the front, but you need to be mindful of what gear you're in, and set your limit screws to keep you from kicking the chain.

I'm telling you all this from experience, because I've done it. Only thing I question is if the x4 derailleur can do 10 speeds. It can be attempted, but I can't guarantee it will work.
Falkon45

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers